Welcome, Guest
It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Kibs

Fanatic

Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Dead Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Dead Space is a survival horror third-person shooter video game, developed by EA Redwood Shores for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows released in October 2008. The player takes on the role of an engineer named Isaac Clarke, who battles a polymorphic, virus-like, alien infestation which turns humans into grotesque alien monsters called "Necromorphs", on board a stricken interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Dead On Arrival 20G
Complete Chapter 1 on any difficulty setting

Lab Rat 20G
Complete Chapter 2 on any difficulty setting

All Systems Go 20G
Complete Chapter 3 on any difficulty setting

Cannon Fodder 20G
Complete Chapter 4 on any difficulty setting

True Believer 20G
Complete Chapter 5 on any difficulty setting

Greenhouse Effect 20G
Complete Chapter 6 on any difficulty setting

S.O.S. 20G
Complete Chapter 7 on any difficulty setting

Strange Transmissions 20G
Complete Chapter 8 on any difficulty setting

Wreckage 20G
Complete Chapter 9 on any difficulty setting

Keeper of the Faith 20G
Complete Chapter 10 on any difficulty setting

Betrayed 20G
Complete Chapter 11 on any difficulty setting

Exodus 20G
Complete Chapter 12 on any difficulty setting

Epic Tier 3 Engineer 150G
Complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting

Survivor 50G
Complete the game on any difficulty setting

Pack Rat 10G
Store 25 Items in the Safe

Story Teller 20G
Collect 75 Logs

Legend Teller 40G
Collect 150 Logs

Full Arsenal 30G
Own every Weapon in the game

Z-Baller 5G
Complete Level 6 in Zero-G Basketball

Merchant 10G
Collect 8 schematics

Armstrong 10G
Shoot 50 objects using Kinesis

Marksman 5G
Dismember 20 Limbs

Surgeon 20G
Dismember 500 Limbs

Butcher 40G
Dismember 1000 Limbs

Freeze 15G
Use Stasis on 50 enemies

Crackshot 5G
Achieve a perfect score in the Shooting Gallery

Air Alert 10G
Zero-G Jump over 100 times

One Gun 40G
Beat the game using only the Plasma Cutter

Brawler 10G
Kill at least 30 enemies with a melee attack

Maxed Out 75G
Upgrade all weapons and equipment

Ragdoll Check 5G
Force an enemy into a Gravity Panel 5 times

Big Spender 10G
Spend 300,000 credits at the store

Full Contact 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Contact Beam

A Cut Above 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Ripper

Tool Time 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Plasma Cutter

Pusher 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Force Gun

Live With The Hot Ones 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Flamethrower

Autofire 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Pulse Rifle

Eviscerator 10G
Kill 30 enemies with the Line Gun

There's Always Peng! 15G
Find the Peng Treasure

Exterminator 15G
Kill the Leviathan

Brute Force 15G
Kill a Brute

Mindless Prey 30G
Kill the Hive Mind

Playing Catch 10G
Catch a Brute or Leviathan Pod using Kinesis

Don't get cocky, kid 10G
Survive the ADS Cannon with over 50% shield strength remaining

Kickin it 10G
Escape from a Lurker's grab attack 10 times

Slugger 10G
Kill the Slug Boss with more than 50% shield strength remaining

Get off my ship! 15G
Kill the Slug Boss

A few things I'd like to clear up for Wikipedia. This is not a Survival Horror game. I classify horror games into several sub-genres. The genre this game matches is "Western Jump-Horror", a game in which the scariness comes mainly from jump scenes, and feeling overwhelmed at times with enemies.

This game has gotten raving reviews, and a bit of criticism, a lot of people see this as the best horror game since sliced bread, however this game has more in common with an action title than it does any true horror game. The main criticisms are just that, that it simply isn't a horror game, but is an action game where you get spooked every so often (much like Resident Evil 5).

One issue I have noticed with the few critics I've talked to is that they won't give this game the time of day, simply because they don't see it as the horror game people claim it to be. This game is by far not close to what any real horror fan would be expecting, but that doesn't demerit it as a game on its own.

It's a solidly built game that is well balanced, very well planned out, and perfectly executed. The graphics are fairly standard for what you'd expect a triple A title to have. The in-game menus and video/audio communications are driven by holograms that leave a very cool and futuristic feel to the game, and with your health/stasis indicators conveniently placed on your back it makes it so there's no fourth-wall breaking menus and HUD on the screen, which I love in a video game. The game has enough of an interesting narrative (toward the end) to make you want to press through the repetitiveness of "go fix this, now go fix that", and is at least worth a single playthrough.

If you haven't played this game yet I'd say go for it, you can pick it up from most game stores for around 20 bucks now, and I promise you, you'll have a bit of fun with it, even if the thrills are cheap.

After having first played this well over a year ago I can finally say this game is out of my hair (for now), I finally took a deep breath and plunged into playing the game on "impossible" and in 4 days netted myself the hardest achievement in the game. Though I must admit, I was a little cheap, I spent about $5 on some upgraded armor and weapons for the game, which made things only slightly more challenging than playing on easy, combined with cheat codes that don't effect achievements, it was honestly just tedious to have to drudge through all 12 levels, the only real moment I almost died in was on level 9, you enter a mess hall and get attacked by about 10-15 monsters all at once.

Last edited by Kibs; 01-09-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Kibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Sandgolem

Matoi Stalker

Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Dead Space

Wow great post Kibbles. I would agree its really sad to see how people see this normal "Shock" tatics as "horror" It seems to be a dying genre that has gotten sucked into the Frat boy / Xboxer Mentality of "lets make this more action"

Sandgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Shadows_Revenge
Fan

Shadows_Revenge is on a distinguished road

the old style of horror games just isnt cutting it any more in the US. Take for example silent hill last 2 installments (before shattered memories) They are in the original format, yet sold terribly for crappy and clunky gameplay mechanics. The original gameplay introduced in resident evil are outdated and needed a overhaul. What we got is this new style of action horror type. Now I dont see this as a solution (as pointed out by Kibs and Sandy) that it is less on the horror and more action. A balance needs to be found between the two mechanics.

Now our one hope of light is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It is in the new gameplay wise, but there is no combat (I repeat, NO COMBAT) in the game. So the action has to be put on the older style of searching and solving puzzles, a throwback to where horror games originated from, the puzzle games like myst. If it sell well we may see the other major franchises (RE, Dead Space) make a turn back to their puzzle roots.

Last edited by Shadows_Revenge; 12-28-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typos
Shadows_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Not to get off topic, but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a good game, and has gotten great reviews from everyone but X-Play. *Rolls eyes* So there is hope!

Either way, Kibs already knows my opinion on Dead Space. I'm a huge horror fanatic, and so I bought this game to eventually try it. When Kibs came to visit me, he played a good majority of the game... and I watched. I'm actually quite use to watching horror games because they can be so intense, and sort of a thrill in its own right. The disappointing thing though was that it wasn't. At all.

He played BioShock and that was creepier, and I've seen run-throughs by friends of Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Kuon, and others to feel a sort of terror. Dead Space just doesn't have that, in fact I almost fell asleep watching. That's a real turn off if the game itself is so boring I'm dozing off. That's not exciting, even the action aspect isn't enough to get my blood pumping. It's just downright boring.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
TheDrunkenShadow

The Man Without a Plan

TheDrunkenShadow has much to be proud of TheDrunkenShadow has much to be proud of TheDrunkenShadow has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
Not to get off topic, but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is a good game, and has gotten great reviews from everyone but X-Play. *Rolls eyes* So there is hope!
It has cupboard opening minigames and the main character does more damage to the undead by opening doors than fending them off. You can guess my opinion on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I'm actually quite use to watching horror games because they can be so intense, and sort of a thrill in its own right. The disappointing thing though was that it wasn't. At all.
That was my biggest gripe with the game. I was slightly surprised during the scene where the creature bursts into the elevator in the beginning, but after that, the horror aspect became monotonous. The game itself was pretty fun and had an interesting story, but I really wanted to play something that would make me unable to sleep in the dark.

TheDrunkenShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Kibs

Fanatic

Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

As Yahtzee so eloquently puts it, it's frightening the first time a monster you thought was dead jumped up and bit my ear off, but after the third or fourth time it was monotonous, and I'd since then run out of ears.

There is a bit of a cliche with horror games, being that their controls are generally ♫♫♫, and that's what upped a lot of older games' scare factor. The designers of Dead Space have been quoted as saying "we don't want people to feel like they're doing bad because of the controls" or somehting of the sort, in a sense they want you to have a good amount of control in horror games.

Unfortunately they give you a bit too much control in the game. By the time I'd finished the game on "impossible" I'd gotten too good at the game, and was taking down most enemies in mere seconds with 4 or 5 strategic shots, and I hardly used more than one gun through the whole game (the machine gun is nice for taking out the creepy crawlers that gnaw you to death).

I, personally am not a big fan of horror games where you're made to feel helpless, mostly because I can't really escape reality in a backwards fashion, sure, I can pretend I'm some 7 foot tall spartan in space armor mowing down armies of alien races on my own, but when it comes down to being a helpless person who's only defense is running away and having a heart attack, I can't put myself in that situation, because I would always do my best to fight back, rather than hide in terror.

I also am not a big fan of survival horror games merely because a good amount of them have so many hidden secrets that it's damn near impossible to play through it without a strategy guide.

When I played Haunting Ground I was constantly being told by Jackie "no don't go there, or do this first" at one point I had to have the dog sit on a spot that wasn't very obviously a switch, and wasn't very obviously connected to a hallway, that wasn't very obviously a booby-trap, meaning that I'd have to die 2 or 3 times in a trial-and-error game environment, which really tends to suck all of the fun out of games for me.

But I think I've gone a little far off course.

I think we need a balance in horror games, much like everyone else here, I do want to play silent Hill: Shattered Memories, but that one will have to wait for now.

Kibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

If it's any consolation, Haunting Ground is generally a hard game. Even for me, I consistently remember what to do next as a challenge and I've beaten it multiple times in the past five years. The map isn't helpful, unlike Silent Hill per se. The AI is far too smart as they will find you if you use a hiding spot too often or slip out of one too soon. The biggest problem is the area is too big, and you're forced to explore it all without a straight indication. Silent Hill and others fix this by easily read maps, or at least items which indicate... say an invitation to a Piano Hall like in Clock Tower 3.

Haunting Ground is good for what it does, but the reason I challenged you to play it was because it was difficult. xD

Though in relation Dead Space doesn't seem all that difficult. There doesn't seem to be any wandering in the dark as there's always someone saying, "Hey, listen! Do this! Go here! Go there!" So that sort of takes all the mystery and fun out of exploring.

I guess, I don't expect horror games to be easy. I want to die, painfully. I want to panic before I die. I want to get lost or figure out difficult puzzles. Why? Because... if I was being chased by a hoard of monsters and I had no training, I would run. I would panic, I would find it easy to become lost, I would see puzzles as difficult nonsense considering the situation, and I would essentially want to stop whatever was going on. So I suppose the normalcy of a survival horror is what I would attempt to do in said situation... because a space marine thing with a gun and stomping on limbs all manly-like isn't.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote