You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 12-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #1
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh
Idol anime phenomenon

I'm not much of a fan of idol group music, but the craze of anime created around the subject has been intriguing.

With the success of titles like iDOLM@ASTER and the more recent Love Live School Idol Project series, I've wondered what other peoples thoughts are about it.

I've found iDOLM@ASTER to be an interesting portal into the world of professional idols. I never realized how much competition there was, not only within idol groups but also between groups and their production studios. I think the series did a good job giving some snapshots into what life as an idol might be life day to day.

Love Live took a different approach with the focus being on non-pro school idol groups where the drama shifted to the school grounds. I'm not sure how common this sort of group setting is, but again, it did a good job of giving viewers a sense of what idols might go through day to day as they struggle to keep friendships, grades and idol work in balance.

I think even AKB48 has some sort of idol anime, which may add yet another dimension to idol anime.

So, what do you think of this idol anime phenomenon?

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road
Re: Idol anime phenomenon

Well, considering that idol groups really became a Japanese cultural phenomenon in the 1970s, I'm actually surprised that it took the trend so long to be reflected in anime. I reviewed the anime Locodol for the Crunchyroll newsletter several months ago, and in that review I gave a brief historical overview of the development of idol groups in the Japanese music industry. If I might be forgiven for pointing this out, it seems that anime finally caught up soon after idols themselves became animated; for instance, the Vocaloids. The development of these new virtual idols--who literally belong to anyone who uses them--is in complete contrast to the environment that existed early in the Japanese idol phenomenon, when handlers and record companies sought to increase idols' popularity by surrounding them in secrecy and even fabricated bios. Again, I'm just surprised that anime is so late to this party.

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

What's really intriguing has been the games (usually the ones we don't get in the US). Most of the anime I've seen focused on idol groups could be saying a lot more about the music world, but instead come down to believe in yourself and moe fanservice. Wake-Up Girls was a major disappointment in that category.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
What's really intriguing has been the games (usually the ones we don't get in the US). Most of the anime I've seen focused on idol groups could be saying a lot more about the music world, but instead come down to believe in yourself and moe fanservice. Wake-Up Girls was a major disappointment in that category.
I agree about Wake Up, Girls! I never got past the 3rd or so episode.

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote