Welcome, Guest
It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Shadows_Revenge
Fan
 
Shadows_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Where you all want to be
Posts: 87

Rep Power: 121
Shadows_Revenge is on a distinguished road
Anime diverges from Manga

So I just finished the Needless anime, and it really ticked me off that they completely diverged from the manga. This is my stance, I personally dont read many mangas as I dont have much time to read as it is (try to atleast get in 1 book a month) So when I sit down to watch an anime, I am almost completely at the whim of the directors as to take their version of the IP as how the original creator intended. But it pisses me off when I find out that the anime completely goes off from the manga.

Now I understand why (maybe the manga is continuing, or some things just arent for televison) but why not just wait till its done, or skip those scenes? To me it looks like they are just trying to cash in on the popularity of the manga so quickly, that they trip themselves up and have to patch up the work.

Filler is another thing that ticks me off. They should of just waited till the manga is over or about to be over to start the anime. They push for anime to cash in on the popularity, but why would the love of the manga be any less right when its about to end? They instead throw themselves into seemingly never ending storylines and re-hashed drama to try to extend their profits or waste time for the creators to finally get done. It kills shows [as seen in Haruhi and Naruto (they had to make a new show)] and just pulls more non-anime watchers away from anime in general.

What are your thoughts on this subject?
______________________


Shadows_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
EagleEyes

Fanatic
 
EagleEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Space Australia
Posts: 1,242

Rep Power: 160
EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

I would normally agree. But there are some cases such as Air gear when the anime is ALOT better than the manga even though it doesn't follow the entire story.

Edit: Also it must be known that filler is horrible.

Last edited by EagleEyes; 12-18-2009 at 07:34 PM.
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Shadowblade Edge
Banhammer'd
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas, you know, that place that's better than wherever you live.
Posts: 101

Rep Power: 0
Shadowblade Edge is a splendid one to behold Shadowblade Edge is a splendid one to behold
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Well I just lost the long version of what I said, but basically I disagree with everything you said. Also how was Haruhi "killed", if you will?
Shadowblade Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Elk

Mark from Canada
 
Elk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canadia
Posts: 459

Rep Power: 667
Elk has disabled reputation
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

I haven't seen Haruhi, but I would assume by "killing Haruhi" it would be Endless Eight. I've heard things.

Personally, I don't think I've watched an anime that surpassed the manga, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any that even equal the manga. The only benefit to an anime is fight scenes, and those are done well enough in manga to not make up for everything else lacking.
______________________


Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Bonediddly
Fan
 
Bonediddly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Meiji Era
Posts: 229

Rep Power: 123
Bonediddly is on a distinguished road
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEyes View Post
But there are some cases such as Air gear when the anime is ALOT better than the manga even though it doesn't follow the entire story.
The manga must be really bad, in that case.

Full Metal Alchemist was awesome despite diverging from the manga (which I haven't read...).
______________________

Bonediddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
EagleEyes

Fanatic
 
EagleEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Space Australia
Posts: 1,242

Rep Power: 160
EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonediddly View Post
The manga must be really bad, in that case.

Full Metal Alchemist was awesome despite diverging from the manga (which I haven't read...).
You insulted Air Gear............

Im sorry Bones, I now have to break your legs :(
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
Shadows_Revenge
Fan
 
Shadows_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Where you all want to be
Posts: 87

Rep Power: 121
Shadows_Revenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonediddly View Post
The manga must be really bad, in that case.

Full Metal Alchemist was awesome despite diverging from the manga (which I haven't read...).
but now they are going back and re-doing it... it just doesnt make sense to me that they couldnt of waited for the manga to finish to start the anime series. Also the reason the original anime was so go was because the creator had full power over its direction. So the original anime seemed smooth, but then the creator wanted something different for the manga
______________________


Shadows_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Elc1247

DJ Elcu-desujya
 
Elc1247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 127

Rep Power: 0
Elc1247 is meh
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

when anime diverge from the manga, thats when the producers have to be very careful, since thats where most series mess up, there are times that it works out splendidly though, like in Full Metal Alchemist
______________________
Catch Dr. Elc's Anime Symposium 2-6pm PST Sat, Sun

 

Tokyo Bambi -The Pillows

Elc1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Kanashimi

Moe Maid
 
Kanashimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,857

Rep Power: 667
Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

I generally look at anime and manga as two separate entities considering the two become vastly different from one another. I very rarely read manga, and there's only a handful of series I've read because the anime let me down. Specifically Kare Kano is a good example due to the fact the series isn't finished in its anime format, but is actually left high and dry due to creator disagreements. Ouran High School Host Club did much the same thing. These are the type of stories I feel enhance the anime.

I hate looking at one is better then the other because they're entirely different mediums. Moving pictures and vocal work might give a better feeling to some scenes in comparison to beautiful art and great storytelling. It's really just a matter of perspective.

As for filler, it is bound to happen with huge shows like One Piece or Naruto. Then again, what anime in this world needs over 500 episodes about pirates or ninjas?! Really. D< I don't have to deal with fillers very often considering that I don't watch a lot of shounen anime, and that's generally the genre that suffers from filler the most. If filler ever bores you, or you suspect filler, then it's probably time to wait for the manga on your own.
______________________



Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Llian

Type 1 Go
 
Llian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 154

Rep Power: 122
Llian is on a distinguished road
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Mangas to me are usually better than most animes. They have their storyline straight and what they put it place works. Sometimes there have been animes that do well on their on (eg FMA). But I feel it all boils down to personal taste. I, for one, would rather read a manga than watch an anime, but that's just me.
______________________
||C O L O R E D B L A C K||
..Freedom without purpose sure feels like boredom.
[Next set: ?]


Llian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Kercon
Newbie
 
Kercon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Białystok in Poland
Posts: 38

Rep Power: 0
Kercon is meh
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

I don't see anything bad when maga and anime goes different roads but it goes for one if ...
If some one change the plot or story for worse ... sometimes I want too kill that guys ... If you need example Rosario + Vampire for god sake first series ended when the maga rips of and capu 2 was sick joke T_T how they could f.... so good manga ( bloody tears )
______________________

Kercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #12
Oni
Banhammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 564

Rep Power: 0
Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows_Revenge View Post
but now they are going back and re-doing it... it just doesnt make sense to me that they couldnt of waited for the manga to finish to start the anime series. Also the reason the original anime was so go was because the creator had full power over its direction. So the original anime seemed smooth, but then the creator wanted something different for the manga
It has to do purely with the popularity of the manga at the time.

Also, you make it seem like every manga-ka is a genius that can totally direct an anime to perfection. I call BS on this.
______________________


Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
DJ M.O.T.D
Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blackpool
Posts: 76

Rep Power: 119
DJ M.O.T.D is on a distinguished road
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Sometimes i like Anime that end completely different to the manga. It almost makes you feel like your watching a "Alternative Path" like in a Visual Novel.
______________________
DJ M.O.T.D
His music... it's like you want to rip your ears out.. But your so dumbstruck by the awesome of the beats... that... you just gaze.


DJ M.O.T.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Shin_No_Kokoro
Fan
 
Shin_No_Kokoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kamakura Period
Posts: 97

Rep Power: 119
Shin_No_Kokoro is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Having read manga first and then watching animes it's like the manga is the real thing and anime is like an alternate ending kind of thing. This proves to be the truth for most of the time, however when there are things like games that also fall somewhere in the story line everything gets messed. If you take Fate Stay Night as an example you will really find yourself wondering which one is the original story which one is the adaptation, it took me awhile to figure it out.
______________________

Shin_No_Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Halfmetal-lich
Newbie
 
Halfmetal-lich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 13

Rep Power: 0
Halfmetal-lich is meh
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Filler is always going to be around unless the Japanese companies decide to completely rewrite their broadcasting schedule. As of now, the companies that make the anime buy their time slot, not like American companies which do the opposite. (I may be wrong in this.)

We have to remember, that they have to make an entire 30-min episode out of about 19-25 pages. Sometimes for certain shows, this is not possible and fights are dragged out. I'm looking at you Bleach.

One or two episode filler is never bad, in fact it can be quite fun to watch, especially after coming out of a serious and action packed arc. I mean, who didn't laugh in Naruto, when they tried to get Kakashi's mask off? It's these long Filler ARCS that people hate, Bleach is probably the worst offender of this I know, completely stopping in the middle of story arcs for filler.

I don't see Filler going away any time soon, but thankfully, it seems to be getting better and better.

*takes a moment to catch his breath*

As for animes diverging from manga. I have to agree that I look at animes as we look at books like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter becoming movies. They are simply adaptions of the source material. Sometimes there are circumstances and the anime must be different. If we look at Full Metal Alchemist, the reason the first series became so different was because the writer wanted the animators to work separate from here, so not to feel pressure to chug out chapter after chapter.

I don't like it when the anime differs from the manga, but it hasn't always been bad. I still enjoy the first series of Full Metal, even though I prefer Brotherhood due to the "true story."
Halfmetal-lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Elk

Mark from Canada
 
Elk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Canadia
Posts: 459

Rep Power: 667
Elk has disabled reputation
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich View Post
I have to agree that I look at animes as we look at books like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter becoming movies. They are simply adaptions of the source material.
You would find a lot of LoTR fans and HP fans who disagree with that statement vehemently.
______________________


Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Loki
Newbie
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16

Rep Power: 0
Loki is meh
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

worst divergence in history for me was Claymore...
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #18
TheGreatMoof
Newbie
 
TheGreatMoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 32

Rep Power: 0
TheGreatMoof is meh
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

I think that first Fullmetal Alchemist anime is a pretty strong case for how to do divergence right, as it'll probably be remembered as one of the most awesome anime ever made up until this point. However, a lot of times, it seems the animation studios just go and do some pretty bizarre things with their story and end it all different and wholly worse. Of course, the other option (for longer shows, at least) is to do a ton of filler full of fail. Like Naruto. Seriously, that show can just go die and get sent to a special part of Hell.
______________________
brb, gotta put Descartes before the horse.

TheGreatMoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Oni
Banhammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 564

Rep Power: 0
Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

FMA being good? Yes.

FMA being the most awesome anime made up until this point? ...Strongly disagreeing there.

Naruto is still going to successful, whether you like it or not. The fact that we don't like it doesn't make it bad, believe it or not.

Shippuuden, however (at least at the beginning) had terrible production values.
______________________


Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #20
TheGreatMoof
Newbie
 
TheGreatMoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 32

Rep Power: 0
TheGreatMoof is meh
Re: Anime diverges from Manga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
FMA being good? Yes.

FMA being the most awesome anime made up until this point? ...Strongly disagreeing there.

Naruto is still going to successful, whether you like it or not. The fact that we don't like it doesn't make it bad, believe it or not.

Shippuuden, however (at least at the beginning) had terrible production values.
On the FMA thing, I have relatives and acquaintances who absolutely HAET anime; these are the kinds of people who would catch me watching Fruits Basket, Bleach, or whatever else I was watching and just quickly get turned off. I got pretty much all of them to at least sorta like Fullmetal Alchemist's first series, and simply by that merit, it gets two gold stars and a slice of apple pie.

As for Shippuuden, doesn't it still have pretty crap production values? At least for a show being broadcast in what is ostensibly 1080 resolution.
______________________
brb, gotta put Descartes before the horse.

TheGreatMoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.