You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 12-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
toyNN
Fan

toyNN is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Anime Over - Anime & Manga Ban Passes

The revised law banning/censoring sales of anime, manga, and games featuring “virtual crimes” or which are “likely to interfere with the healthy development of youth” has passed in Japan after the DPJ (Democratic Party) agreed to support it.

Many have written that this will create a censorship ban on most all anime and manga. I sure hope they are wrong and that this will deal just with the explicit stuff. But it seems publishers of current titles are doing their best to over react. Purging and requesting changes to current manga and removing older ones from distribution.

Most likely a review board will be formed to inspect all anime/manga/games and will determine if they pass or fail.

Hopefully by the time the law comes into effect (July 2011) they'll in some way narrow its focus at the very least. But the worry is that by that time publishers have already pulled everything there won't be much to review.

Last edited by toyNN; 12-13-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
toyNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of
Re: Anime Over - Anime & Manga Ban Passes

Censorship is ok in some situations. But this is taking it a little over board.
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
gannon133
Fan

gannon133 is meh

I...just...don't...believe this...

I think it is a bad move for Japan overall because most sales come from that, causing an economic downfall (assumption). I don't think that they have to go to the extreme of banning the sales of manga/anime or games. There are other methods to handle this, like showing some proof of age that are lacking around these days...
gannon133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon133 View Post
There are other methods to handle this, like showing some proof of age that are lacking around these days...
This... This I completely agree with.

I agree that censorship is fine in some cases. This, however, is going a little overboard. You know what? Let's do TV shows and movies! No... LET'S GO FOR REAL LIFE! GO!

*Watch the economy plunge for a while*

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
TheDrunkenShadow

The Man Without a Plan

TheDrunkenShadow has much to be proud of TheDrunkenShadow has much to be proud of TheDrunkenShadow has much to be proud of

Yeah, I saw this this morning. It'll be popping up in Tuesday's iStalk because the story actually didn't come out until after Monday's had already been finished. >.<

Anyway, I think that only bad can come of this. When you have a group of people censoring things with such vague guidelines, it becomes a choice of opinion rather than logic. Add in the amount of backlash this will probably generate and you have quite a mess on your hands.

TheDrunkenShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
toyNN
Fan

iStalk will be busy, there'll be lots to report on as this works itself out. I sure thought it had less chance to pass since its scoped widened over the previously dubbed "loli ban". But I guess that's what they wanted!

I'm sort of holding out that this for them creating a more defined rating system for anime/manga. Specifically for 18+ titles, and that those will only include explicit eroge. The fear that anything even hinting at sexually is going to be censored seems (I hope!!) wrong. That's like every title!

And wasn't it like 8 months ago or so that the Japanese government said it was going to be putting forth $120million to promote their beloved anime industry to everyone around the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrunkenShadow View Post
Anyway, I think that only bad can come of this. When you have a group of people censoring things with such vague guidelines, it becomes a choice of opinion rather than logic. Add in the amount of backlash this will probably generate and you have quite a mess on your hands.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Kayarath

The Biggest Troll on the website

Kayarath is on a distinguished road

Looks like this will be the Japanese Comics Code Authority!

However, I don't think the DPJ is aware of the negative side effects. What if all the Mangaka defect from Japan and take their creations elsewhere? Maybe if we put together the right campaign, we convince a few of them to move to the USA! That would be pretty cool actually...
Kayarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation

Honestly, While if this actually happened it would suck, but I think it's all just puffing out ones chest. It goes to ACTUAL vote tomorrow, and I don't think it'll pass. If it does, it'll probably be heavily cripples by the time it's put into effect, though we already HAVE seen some ill effects.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
toyNN
Fan

The bill did pass a first round of voting on Monday and does need to pass a second round of voting Wednesday before its actually passed as Anarcho does point out (made me look this up).

No indication that it was a close vote on Monday and most (including my starter post) over looked this needed second vote.

Its also important to note this is NOT a Japan national bill/ban but a Tokyo government one. But Tokyo is like LA/Chicago/New York combined so their regional government is quite powerful. It should also be noted that the Japanese Prime Minister has basically come out against this revised bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoELK View Post
Honestly, While if this actually happened it would suck, but I think it's all just puffing out ones chest. It goes to ACTUAL vote tomorrow, and I don't think it'll pass. If it does, it'll probably be heavily cripples by the time it's put into effect, though we already HAVE seen some ill effects.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

And it passed the next round, so we'll be seeing this in full effect July 1st with most of it being introduced by April 1st. I can't say I'm happy considering the Prime Minister's previous comments. Assuming it does as strict as possible I would say homosexuality in any form is gone since it doesn't fit social norms. This can extend to characters who can rebel or perhaps have a mental disability, thus taking the depth out of stories. Obviously though, that's a strict way to look at it.

On the other side we might just not see so much naked, but this is definitely going to hurt several companies that are already in the red.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #11
toyNN
Fan

Thanks for the update Kana.

I read that too where its the Tokyo governor's crusade to stop the spread of homosexuals on TV. Seems that is a lot of what is behind this bill as much as anything.

I'm afraid that its typical Japanese to conform so it will be interesting to see if publishers are willing to go against this but artistic freedom is one thing they might be willing to stand out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
And it passed the next round, so we'll be seeing this in full effect July 1st with most of it being introduced by April 1st. I can't say I'm happy considering the Prime Minister's previous comments. Assuming it does as strict as possible I would say homosexuality in any form is gone since it doesn't fit social norms.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I've been waiting for the Sankaku article and reading comments over at ANN. Someone brought up an interesting point and I'd like to put it here, too. Obviously many of us are scared about fan-service and what not, but not many people have begun to think about how violence and crimes have such a huge place in anime storytelling as well.

For instance, let's take Death Note... wouldn't the murder and all the laws broken in that show be a good idea of what to expect? When you think of how well Death Note was received by fans and casual viewers alike, it worries me with how the public is going to determine what shows are good and what aren't. Gems like Death Note will literally be that needle in the haystack if it's hard to get a hold of and wasn't able to be shown on TV. A lot of series will be surviving on DVD sales, which is quite worrisome considering DVD cost up to $70 or more in Japan.

I said this in IRC, but this could turn out to be a good thing for other regions. DVDs will be easier to get of said material here than the home country. The problem is, despite how we frown against fansubbing, a lot of publishing/dubbing companies here in the US look at a series popularity before picking it up; however, a lot of shows won't be broadcasted and we'll have to wait for their release to DVD. Considering this, we might also see a slow down of all titles, and receive more general ones unless US anime companies decide to scan for shows more seriously.

Food for thought honestly, it was just something that came to mind and could change in so many years. I'm earnestly worried since despite the fact I do approve of censorship, I don't approve in this form that essentially takes away freedom. Yes, I do believe that things should have a rating, but ratings can hurt material in such a way. We'll see how it works in Japan for the ultimate effect, but from what I know not a lot of stores sell that material or the shy culture of Japan might not want to be seen in said stores. Correct me if I'm wrong please~

Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
gannon133
Fan

gannon133 is meh

I have a theory. I am not sure if everyone would agree with this, but why not make a movement where the artists/mangaka will be more appreciated if they moved into another location other than Japan as of now?

Like, is it really necessary to just stay over there and take the harsh acts of it? Do they have to alter their plot in the manga/anime to fit into these regulations? Will they want to follow a path that has been limited before them? It isn't likely the artists can mold their creativity, that is just not going to do it.

I may be a little extreme in my theory, but any option would be better than no option.
gannon133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

As stated before the bill is so vague we have no idea how harsh it will be. Most of my comments are directly on the more strict side of the grid.

Regardless, they can all move, but we also don't know if this bill will spread to other places besides Tokyo. For example, I doubt many TV studios that control what goes on-air on their channel will move for anime since they also have other shows (live action, game shows, drama, etc). The manga studios and anime publishers can move, but that still doesn't solve broadcasting issues.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #15
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

I'll be shot for this...
-deep breath-

I for one, don't think it's is an utterly distressing matter. I only see 2 backlashes to this whole thing, mainly, the hurting of companies and the 2nd people the public itself. Now, while i agree everyone is right to their own free thought, I do not however believe in, full on freedom of the act (this will relate to my opinion of the 2nd backlash). While freedom itself is great, it is abused too much and causes hatred between people and forms groups (groups ultimately fight, hate and practically destroy one another).

For example, it's perfectly right to believe that Homosexuality is an abomination against God, Jesus or whatever religion you believe in. But it is NOT alright to picket funerals, walk down the street blurting this belief and throwing rocks through homosexual people's windows, because it then causes hatred which leads to someone's life being lost, whether it be murder through anger, or suicide from depression.

Now, we have Mr. Ishihara, who blurted his beliefs. People of simple life are very impressionable, there are people who fear their future and will put their faith/belief in a higher power (Religion or Government, Japan's case is Government because they're not as ubber Christan as America). "To follow the Government/God is to succeed in life itself" is what people believe in, sadly, instead of "I live by my own power and will, and my future will decide on my actions alone" (I understand that some people Do believe in this and take it to an extreme). Now back to Mr. Ishihara, he's blurting whatever he believes in, which the people hear, and will eventually believe, there's a probably some name for it, but I call it a "Cancer effect", in which once one people believes it, eventually it'll spread until everyone does, usually people who don't believe in this are severely punished for being an "out cast" and is usually the cause for that person changing his/her beliefs (Hense why i refer to is as "Cancer").

While people like to believe people are more sensible, it truth is, people really don't know what to believe until someone tells them what to believe. Maybe in the future this will all change when radicals of modern age family ideal people no longer walk the earth (Remember, there was a time when sexual intercourse with children was acceptable in society, now that changed.). But really, unless the people or the majority of people putting this bill into effect say "We can't let this happen" there is nothing that can be done that wouldn't result in radical behavior.

The best we can do is wait. And let Japan learn on it's own.

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #16
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

I understand what you're saying Zero, and I believe some people don't know what to believe in. Though at the same time I have to say that some of the things released in Japan are extreme, but I also believe there has to be some sort of freedom to what a person can create. Limiting creativity can be both negative and positive depending on the way one looks at it.

I've said from the beginning that I'm on the strict spectrum of this argument, automatically assuming the worst of this bill; however, that doesn't change that the bill states that is is attempting to accept only items which are the "social norm". This phrase bothers me much more than anything else honestly. Social norm is so vague and can be so many things it's almost obnoxious to think of what does and doesn't classify here.

As I've stated earlier, homosexuality or gay relations would essentially be discouraged in a piece of fiction. There was this great video over on Extra Credits about sexual diversity (you can view it here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...xual-Diversity) and it brings up how characters who were trying to find themselves through sexuality and gender issues made the characters deeper as well as easier to relate to. Characters throughout any medium consistently have trouble defining who they are, having struggles, deep and dark places of the human psyche. My worry is that, depending on how strict the bill will be, are the dark things that help us discover ourselves and define characters with depth unacceptable because they don't fit a social standard?

Looking at it that way is a bit more realistic in my eyes, and brings worry not only for things that have fan-service, but actual story and life to it. For example, when you're growing up did you think to yourself I wish this person would just die and imagine in your head to make yourself feel better? Have you ever experimented with drugs? Ditched school? Suicide attempts? Bullied or were bulled harshly? All these things are technically not acceptable (or legal) or right, but they're things that happen. Limiting a story that can touch people with real events brings out real emotion, I'm more worried about that.

/me ranted too much
/me leaps away for now

Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Really though, I've been somewhat displeased with recent anime (Seikon no Qwaser, Kiss x Sis being prime examples).
It just takes away from the story.... who knows, maybe we'll have a new swarm of types of animes that will come our way (Although it better not all be just some alternate version of Hamtaro).

I hope this doesn't hurt Gundam.... may hurt my series though.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #18
withasigh

withasigh is meh

Well this is all a little bit rubish isn't it. I really hope they don't g mega strict with this. Taking out mental disabilities i think would be really stupid, but all we can do is hope its not going to kill the anime culture.

withasigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by withasigh View Post
Well this is all a little bit rubish isn't it. I really hope they don't g mega strict with this. Taking out mental disabilities i think would be really stupid, but all we can do is hope its not going to kill the anime culture.
It's not gonna kill the anime culture, it's just gonna make some changes.... if anything it may make creepy fans look a little less creepy

Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
toyNN
Fan

I seriously doubt if they want or would succeed in broadly interpret this new bill. Its quoted that the bill states "only manga and animation that glorifies or exaggerates illegal sexual acts". Is the fan service and such in titles like Strike Witches, School Days, or Demon King illegal or a sexual act? Seems it would depend on how broadly they want to interpret.

While I don't know if its possible it would seem that the Japanese federal government could step in and declare it unconstitutional (assuming they have some way to override local laws).

I think its also part of the bill that the material would be restricted (not banned) so its not sold to underage kids. If its strictly interpreted it might not affect that many titles and those it did would be pushed into an 18+ category.

Tags
anime , ban , censorship , games , loli ban , manga