It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
Aero

Aero is meh
Who's your hero?

I was once asked during a job interview who my hero was. It was probably the hardest question I ever had to answer on the spot, but in the end I came up with answer that, while silly in some regards, I thought worked. So, my question today is: who is your hero?

A hero doesn't need to be someone who you deem to represent the pinnacle of human ability or achievement, it can just be someone who you respect or helped you get through a hard time. Or it could be a fictional character who you identify with and you think embodies the traits you wish to have or find desirable. It's up to you to decide : )

How's that for a Monday morning topic? ; )
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
bemused_Bohemian

Fanatic

bemused_Bohemian is meh
Re: Who's your hero?

The team of people or inspired individual(s) that invented medicine that helped promulgate our species would rank as my hero.

Next in no lesser rank order:

Babbage, honcho credited with developing computer-speak in 1800s;
Henry Ford: capitalist credited for assembly-line production of the automobile;
Capitalist who first legitimized availability of credit for the lesser classes here in America (occurred during the teens or '20's I think but not sure + can't recall his name);

Fantasy-land: group of people who can take on and topple Big Government, reform it, go back to the 3 branches of 'damn government' power distribution vs. where we are now in Amerika. Hahahahaha

Off topic:
Job interviews: I think I understand your pain. Looking back over the years from much needless suffering enduring these there is a lot to be said about self employment which I preferred and did. My thoughts toward folks with decision making responsibilities, or lack thereof, in Personnel....picture the scene in the Cohen Bros. movie Fargo with the wood/tree shredder. Hmmmmmmmm......
bemused_Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Chris

asdf

Chris is on a distinguished road

I have a few, for many different reasons. My answers are going to vary vastly from someone who isn't Canadian.

Terry Fox - This is easily my first choice. For those who aren't of Canadian heritage and are unaware, Terry was a very athletic person growing up, he was diagnosed with cancer in his knee and had to have his leg amputated. Instead of laying down and giving up, Terry set off to run all the way across Canada on a prosthetic leg. He started in St. John's, Newfoundland and was supposed to end up in British Columbia. Terry ran the equivalent of a marathon EVERY single day he ran. When he reached the outskirts of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Terry was having a hard time running due to pains in his chest. He asked to be driven to the hospital, and it was revealed that the cancer had spread to his lungs. Terry flew back home to BC. Shortly after, Terry fell into a coma and passed away. He had run for a total of 143 days or 5,280 kilometers. This is why, every September (The month in which he collapsed in Thunder Bay) the nation holds "The Terry Fox Run" which virtually every city and school take part in to raise money for cancer research. A true Canadian hero.

Wayne Gretzky - Even if you don't know hockey, or hate the sport, you know his name. Wayne set over 50 NHL records, many that still stand today and may not be beaten for a very long time. Every Canadian kid knows his name. He also happens to be a personal friend of my dad's since they grew up and went to public school together.

These two are the first that come to mind, but I could think of many more. I just don't want to write a novel ;]

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/918TheFanChris
Add me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/918TheFanChris

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

I don't really do anything that I have a "hero" for that has inspired me or drives me to be like him/her.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
bemused_Bohemian

Fanatic

bemused_Bohemian is meh

I remember Terry Fox. I was residing in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) at that time. That has been a few decades ago. Good choice for someone to remember as an inspiration.
bemused_Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

I usually choose Red Skelton, for his slap stick comedy that was neither stale nor too inappropriate to lay on the people, I always had a big place for comedy in my heart, and uses real good comedy not like the wannabes of this day n age

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Wayne Gretzky - Even if you don't know hockey, or hate the sport, you know his name. Wayne set over 50 NHL records, many that still stand today and may not be beaten for a very long time. Every Canadian kid knows his name. He also happens to be a personal friend of my dad's since they grew up and went to public school together.
I see your Gretzky and raise you Temmu Selanne. As a Ducks fan (rip 2009-2010 season nevr 4get) since 2003 (bandwagon lol), and knowing that he played for the then Winnipeg Jets (remind me...why did they move to Phoenix again?), guy's like a local hero to Winnipeg and Anaheim (sorry San Jose and Colorado fans). I know about the rookie goal record in which everyone in Winnipeg went nuts over and, of course, never lost his edge when he was eventually traded to Anaheim. Scoring goal #600, in a Duck uniform, is something of a really high point for me this season, compared to the rest of the season...ugh...

Another one would be Scott Spezio, reason being is that he hit a three-run shot in game 6, quite possibly the greatest game 6 I've seen in baseball (it helps a lot when you're an Angel fan). Maybe it's the power of the almighty Rally Monkey, but in either case, that 8th-inning rally propelled the Angels to win the game 6-5 to force a game 7, which they won 4-1 to win the World Series, which would be the first in the Angels franchise history. Since then, all they do is win division titles and get first round exits from the Red Sox (except 2005 and 2009...Anaheim never faced the BoSox in 2005, and they actually swept them in 2009).
Tommy Vercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

Martha Graham is one of the foremost modern dance pioneers who's dancing and choreographic career lastest from the mid 1920's until the day she died in April 1991. Having choreographed countless works over her time, she endured her share of critics picking apart her bizarre style of movement. She pulls inspiration from strange topics of greek tradgedies and myths that we all think we knew and pulls them into her dance in a way that seems unworldly. When ever I need some direction, feeling lost or unheard I watch her piece, Heretic or Steps in the Street because they deal with the feminist movement or the ordeal of trying to become heard in a sea of voice, but by far my favorite Graham work would be Diversion of Angels and her take on the story of Joan of Arc, Seraphic Dialogue.
She's a beautiful, strong woman who defied ballet and inspired many apiring artists in any field with her intriguing words of wisdom. Not only that but her birthday is a day after mine!! (I'm such a fangirl) When ever I need artistic direction I think of her influence on the art world.

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Chris

asdf

Chris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Vercetti View Post
I see your Gretzky and raise you Temmu Selanne. As a Ducks fan (rip 2009-2010 season nevr 4get) since 2003 (bandwagon lol), and knowing that he played for the then Winnipeg Jets (remind me...why did they move to Phoenix again?), guy's like a local hero to Winnipeg and Anaheim (sorry San Jose and Colorado fans). I know about the rookie goal record in which everyone in Winnipeg went nuts over and, of course, never lost his edge when he was eventually traded to Anaheim. Scoring goal #600, in a Duck uniform, is something of a really high point for me this season, compared to the rest of the season...ugh...

Another one would be Scott Spezio, reason being is that he hit a three-run shot in game 6, quite possibly the greatest game 6 I've seen in baseball (it helps a lot when you're an Angel fan). Maybe it's the power of the almighty Rally Monkey, but in either case, that 8th-inning rally propelled the Angels to win the game 6-5 to force a game 7, which they won 4-1 to win the World Series, which would be the first in the Angels franchise history. Since then, all they do is win division titles and get first round exits from the Red Sox (except 2005 and 2009...Anaheim never faced the BoSox in 2005, and they actually swept them in 2009).
Two great players for sure. I always liked Teemu as well. The fact that he scored the 76 goals on a team that wasn't looked to highly of back then was quite impressive, with a celebration that was just as memorable as Theo Fleury's.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/918TheFanChris
Add me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/918TheFanChris

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #10
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation

I see your Gretzky and Selanne and raise you a Roy.

But most of my heroes are historical anarchists, Emma Goldman, Peter Kropotkin, Mikhail Bakunin, Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, etc.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Cerulaine

Fluttershy

Cerulaine is meh

When I think hero, I think of people I know personally so in some aspects my hero's are my aunt, and father.

Kind of boring >>
Cerulaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

A little old, but whatever.

I would have to say my grandfather and my dad. Both were suffering from a different cancer. My grandfather, lung cancer, and my dad, brain cancer. They both fought their hardest battle till the very end. They tried to be themselves as much as they could, my dad mostly. Even before this, they were my heroes. I miss them both so very much. They'll always be my heroes forever.

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough

I really find Lady Gaga to be a huge inspiration, close enough to hero right? :smile:
Her determination, and pure bravery to express herself through various means of art really is an eye opener to me. She lives to HER specific code, not caring with what others think. She shows how it's okay to be different than other people, and wants those people to embrace their oddities. Without the bizarre in this world, art would suck.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Llian

Type 1 Go

Llian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulaine View Post
When I think hero, I think of people I know personally so in some aspects my hero's are my aunt, and father.

Kind of boring >>
Yeah same. My heros are my two older brothers and my mother. Some of the nicest and most lovable people in the wrold (by my standards). Love them to death.

Llian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
Kergeros

Kergeros is meh

Then the weird guy comes and ruins the mood with his fictional characters.
Yes, my hero is a character from an anime series. More specifically, Simon from Gurren Lagann. Now I know what most people will think, "Ugh, some daydreaming kid who thinks huge robots and 'epicness' is cool". Yes, I am young, and the impact of Gurren Lagann on most people is indeed caused by the crazy stuff that happens. But that series, and mostly Simon, who I identified with, did inspire me. The excitement that series brought me helped me through lots of stuff, and changed my way of viewing life in ways I don't regret. I actually get kinda sad when people tell me they didn't like the series, but I understand people have their own tastes. Now the ones who trash talk about it are either trolling or have a completely biased view over it.

Kergeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road

I have a fictional heroine, her name is Nanaho Kinjo, I'll take my answer from this past weeks Round Table to give you an idea why. I just found that watching through the anime she is in, that her and I had a lot in common. =] we shared similar ideals and views on things.

Nanaho Kinjo. She is from the anime “Best Student Council”. This is a very character driven anime, so it’s natural that viewers choose a character they relate most to and Nanaho is mine. She is fiercely loyal to the president of the student council, as well as the student council as a whole. She has a very tough-as-nails attitude and a rough’n'tumble approach to everything, but as the story progresses you find out she has a soft spot for girly things. The things she does make you smile and the way she does them make you laugh. Some call her a brute, I call her a hero. She possesses this leadership quality that completely distinguishes her from the rest of the students. Underneath the thick emotional barrier that she armors herself with, you find a very fragile girl with a strong heart.

Other than that, I have a few real-life people I have looked up to as well over the years..Mark Hoppus from the band blink-182, my high school Government teacher Mr. Van Guse and a few historical figures, namely, Siddhartha Gautama. All of which have impacted my life in different ways. :shades:

twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #17
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of

My friends. The fact that you guys put up with me is awesome. I love you all.
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
ClearMetalVoltar
Fan

ClearMetalVoltar is meh

the fonz. i mean, how and why is this guy filled with so much epic winsuace hax0rs!
ClearMetalVoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
Nirvash_Redemption
Fan

Nirvash_Redemption is meh

my hero's are Toru Nakayama [artist who did the art for the entire Megaman Zero game series] as he's my idol for artwork and drawing, Crispin Freeman for voice acting, and the fictional one would be Azure Kite from .Hack//G.U., just because he doesnt need to talk and can still pwn.

"Don't ask for it; go win it on your own. Do that and you'll succeed."
"When you think of music or movies, instead of remembering what they are about you're more likely to be reminded of the memories you have of that time and the people you knew then."

Nirvash_Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #20
One-Way-Learning

One-Way-Learning is meh

My hero? That would be my Great Grand father, for making money the way he wanted to, and doing it right. He is the guy that made my family name actually respectable, and prospering off that fact. He's my hero because he succeeded, and I want to as well.

One-Way-Learning is offline   Reply With Quote