Thread: Pet Poll
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
bemused_Bohemian

Fanatic

bemused_Bohemian is meh
Re: Pet Poll

On 1 of the electronic bid-sell sites I go by the moniker "4catdoorman". Over the years my life has been blessed/graced with the presence of felines who tolerated my silliness toward them. Recently I used to have 4 cats: Hank (abandoned, gave him a home), Calico (she'll be 15 in human years this Easter, still a schizo), Boo & Tia (2 Siamese littermates: he weighs in at 23 lbs, she at 8.5 lbs). I have lived with several species of domestic shorthair cats over the years but Siamese are my absolute favorites. Hank met his fate with a raccoon, large dog, or a fox, but not sure. I know I came home and found him dead at the front door with a lot of flower pots overturned nearby. Calico may meet hers with the dynamic duo comprised of Tia & Boo. Tia is 1 very jealous kitty.

Reading 1 of the earlier posts about goldfish....I used to live out in the country in a 50 yr. old house that had been remodeled by 3 of the previous 6 owners over it's lifetime. Someone added an outside fish pond made of concrete. I introduced 12 goldfish 1 year to control the mosquito larvae within. Some people can differentiate their sex upon purchase from a fish store. I can't so I bought 12 figuring probability might work here re coupling up later on. Amazingly, goldfish can survive Midwest winters when outside. Something about their metabolic rate allows them to adjust to the climate, even when darn near frozen.

The following spring/summer I did a count and found 12 had multiplied to 33...thank you, God????? Here's what happens to an unprotected pond. The high count was 50 goldfish. Between wandering snapping turtles (shovel these out and return to lake downhill), neighbor's cats (push in water head first unannounced....they catch on after awhile re being welcome), and raccoons this number diminished to 27 within 6 months' time.

I have discovered that maintaining 1 of these ponds is a lot of work. Now I understand the principle behind why some people prefer to watch wavy colored fish swimming menacingly on a pixelated screen instead of "owning" real ones. Over time their numbers dwindled to just 1, then none. Before I moved away I took out the pond and filled it in with rock, gravel, and dirt. Aquariums are easier. Someday I'll get 1 but not anytime soon.
bemused_Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote