91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Debates (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   [NonReligious] Sub Vs Dub which do you like (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385)

Shin_No_Kokoro 01-11-2010 04:38 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 4731)
That show had alot of censor bears and chirping birds...for good reason though. I understand why they did it and I respect that. That's why you have DVD's with uncut glory.

And thas y i proudly own all of them ^_^

Oni 01-11-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catilena1890 (Post 4742)
Most of the stuff I`ve seen was subbed by WPP, I don`t know them that well so probably. All I know is I have seen Netto, Konahamaru, and Satoshi *Ash* all say S*** and the six letter B word every 5 minutes or so when I watched their subbed-japanese counterparts

Probably added in to replace "damn it" or "damn you".

Shin_No_Kokoro 01-11-2010 04:43 PM

In the fansubs there can be a lot of mistranlations, but in official dubs they get changed to lesser swears like crap intead s*** or damn you instead of f*** u and the like

Catilena1890 01-11-2010 04:47 PM

Nope. I`ve seen them say that as well. I actually saw a dubbed naruto episode where they let that slip through. I think it was during the Sannin Fight where Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Tsunade all brought their beasts out while Naruto fought Kabuto, and when Kabuto dodged the rasengan and used his med-jutsu on Narutos hip, naruto actually said "damn it", in the dubbed anime. I had that episode recorded *but since lost the tape* and I replayed that scene over and over to make sure I was hearing right, and sure enough, with 5 replays, I heard him curse. Go figure.

TAKE THAT FCC! YOU FAIL AT LIFE!

CantStrafeRight 01-11-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4692)
Unless you're skimming through the text on the bottom of the screen, thus not taking it in, you'll be reading it in your own voice.

I'm pretty sure I'm taking it in.
In my head I always use the voice of the character when I'm reading subtitles, novels or comics. It's only if I have no idea what a voice sounds like that I use my own, and even then my voice in my head is very different from my real voice.

I'm not saying that no ones brain works the way you describe, I'm just saying that not everyone's does.

Oni 01-11-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantStrafeRight (Post 4776)
I'm pretty sure I'm taking it in.
In my head I always use the voice of the character when I'm reading subtitles, novels or comics. It's only if I have no idea what a voice sounds like that I use my own, and even then my voice in my head is very different from my real voice.

I'm not saying that no ones brain works the way you describe, I'm just saying that not everyone's does.

Yes, but most people do work like that. Especially when the voice in question is attached to another language.

Zero Gravity 01-12-2010 01:02 PM

I'm off an on about dubbing and subbing, I prefer the dubbing for Death Note, although I dislike the Pokemon dub.

I have no sense of favoritism

XIamSogekingX 01-12-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Gravity (Post 5127)
I'm off an on about dubbing and subbing, I prefer the dubbing for Death Note, although I dislike the Pokemon dub.

I have no sense of favoritism

And you know what, you don't need a favorite. Just make a decision when the time comes. If you think the dub is bad, then watch the sub. If you like the dub then watch that. No real reason to have a set belief in this situation.

Oni 01-13-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 5231)
And you know what, you don't need a favorite. Just make a decision when the time comes. If you think the dub is bad, then watch the sub. If you like the dub then watch that. No real reason to have a set belief in this situation.

Exactly, or else you'll be labelled as biased by your peers.

ace8489 01-13-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 5231)

Yeah thats a good what to go about it.

DJ M.O.T.D 01-13-2010 05:31 AM

It all depends on the anime.

I prefer FMA's Dub. also naruto's dub isn't all that awful.
But some anime are MEANT to be watched dubbed. like Lucky Star.

chefofdeath 01-13-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ M.O.T.D (Post 5342)
It all depends on the anime.

i agree with you on that one i was watchen devil may cry dub it was awful. . . i guess because once u have seen a certain show in subs and when u watch it in dubs it feels some what wrong

bemused_Bohemian 01-13-2010 01:26 PM

Prefer sub as long as I don't have to speed-read. Some of these release sub captions are only visible for a milli-second. I have to freeze the frame to stay "caught up". Also, Sub proves to all my past deceased or dying school instructors (since I am an old dude) that their classroom lessons re the language didn't go to waste or in vain. Dub seems to change the nuance or tenor of the scene. Sometimes this technique is helpful in my comprehension if there is a point or concept I might have missed watching the sub alternative.

XIamSogekingX 01-13-2010 02:09 PM

Watching a show like Bobobo-bo bo-bobo was very weird and you can't really get the full effect of it when it is dubbed but watching it subbed doesnt really help much either. Some jokes and sayins just dont transfer over very well and it's a thing that you just have to be deep into the culture to get.

TheGreatMoof 01-13-2010 02:42 PM

A lot of times for me, it depends on the initial point of contact. I saw Cowboy Bebop fansubbed years before I saw an episode of the English translation and even though the dub is pretty much amazing, I still tend to watch the subs for that one. The only things that will change this rule, I've noticed, are quality of a sub/dub. If either version is really horrible, I'll watch the other. And if I find that one is more awesome than the one I'm used to, I'll be able to watch both pretty easily.

dbull620 01-13-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 4027)
I know I am more of a sub person just because I dont like the restrictions of language and certain scenes when watching it on TV. You can usually get a uncut version when you buy the DVDs and that will make up for it but my over all thing for watching sub over dub is just because I like the japanese voice overs better then the English ones. The closer you can get to the original idea and direction, the better it is.

I definitely agree with that, though there are some instances where I like the dub just fine. It mostly rests on the quality of the dub. Personally, I liked the Elfen Lied, Solty Rei, Inuyasha, Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist, and Death Note dubs well enough that I'm fine watching either the subbed or dubbed versions, but for the most part I prefer subbed.

XIamSogekingX 01-13-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbull620 (Post 5461)
I definitely agree with that, though there are some instances where I like the dub just fine. It mostly rests on the quality of the dub. Personally, I liked the Elfen Lied, Solty Rei, Inuyasha, Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist, and Death Note dubs well enough that I'm fine watching either the subbed or dubbed versions, but for the most part I prefer subbed.

Indeed, most of those dubs and I am just fine with. I really have no specifics with it though I usually watch a sub of an anime first then watch the dub of it on TV or somewhere else then compare from there.

AudriSampson 01-19-2010 01:37 PM

For me I do only subs.. While dubs have been improving I feel like the sub gets me closer to what the original creators, animators and VA's want me to experience. With that in mind I have a fairly big pet peeve for when the American industry feels the need for whatever reason to remove culture references or "Americanize" an anime.

mitamaking 01-19-2010 01:57 PM

If the dub is good, I prefer the dub but I can watch both. For example FMA has a bad Japanese cast but it's American cast was great. Whereas a meh dub like Tower of Druaga I prefer subbed.

Oni 01-19-2010 01:57 PM

But they haven't "Americanized" an anime for around...7 to 8 years?