91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Movies (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   What Anime Movies Have You Recently Seen? (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895)

Elc1247 05-04-2010 03:03 AM

What Anime Movies Have You Recently Seen?

I thought this subject would be appropriate.

I saw Pale Cocoon and Sky Crawlers recently, both great movies.

Pale Cocoon is only 30 min long, but feels like a 2 hour movie.

Sky Crawlers is one of those things you watch that gets you thinking about deep things, ending kinda left me disappointed though.

Mollybibbles 05-04-2010 09:33 AM

Re: What Anime Movies Have You Recently Seen?

I just watched Millennium Actress directed by Satoshi Kon. It's a great Studio Madhouse film. Story is entertaining and romantic in a different way. The cast of characters is fairly small but you'll know why when you watch it. It would probably be one of the best movies I've seen in a long time, animated or otherwise.

Rish 05-04-2010 10:28 AM

Most recently I've seen Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop and Lineabarrels of Iron. Also the movie Dead Leaves. I watched the entire series of Cowboy Bebop and Linebarrel, but only started the series of Wolf's Rain (though I have seen it before). And Dead Leaves is made of super fun insanity.

Elc1247 05-04-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rish (Post 13070)
Most recently I've seen Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop and Lineabarrels of Iron. Also the movie Dead Leaves. I watched the entire series of Cowboy Bebop and Linebarrel, but only started the series of Wolf's Rain (though I have seen it before). And Dead Leaves is made of super fun insanity.

umm... the subject is MOVIES...

Rish 05-04-2010 09:49 PM

Wow.. that's just embarrassing. Much shame on Rish D:
At least I said Dead Leaves...

Jubilee 05-04-2010 09:59 PM

I bought Bleach: Memories of Nobody not to horribly long ago...
Kinda wish I didn't...It wasn't very good in my opinion...
1) I bought the dubbed version on accident...>.<
2) The movie felt rushed at the end...moved way too fast...and I have never made that complaint before...

It just wasn't as good as the regular anime...shoulda just got a Season @.@

deadlymustach50 05-05-2010 09:45 PM

I just recently saw Steam Boy and 5 Centimeters per Second.

Steam Boy is based on the industrial revolution in England, that follows a English boy and his adventure through the battle of steam inventions. I really enjoyed the movie and the dubbed was awesome, because of Patrick Stewart!!!

5 Centimeter per Seconds is a fanastic movie with three love stories. Great art, plots really short and jumpy, but the ending was great.

Kate 05-05-2010 09:59 PM

Last anime movie I watched was Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society on Encore. Yeah, randomly came across it on there. I thought it was an awesome movie. I do like the Ghost in the Shell series, of course.

Tyto 05-06-2010 12:02 AM

Voices of A Distant Star/Hoshi no Koe. 30 minute debut sci-fi short film of Makoto Shinkai, the same director/animator behind 5 Centimeters Per Second, and the film The Place Promised In Our Early Days. A little quirky, subtly nerdy, and fairly cute romance that takes the term star-crossed lovers a tad out of context with literal interpretation.

When two lovers find themselves separated by a distance that takes even near-lightspeed transmission anything from weeks to months to send messages, the lag between messages grows longer and longer, until the time it takes to make contact through a text message extends to what seems like an eternity.

The sound track is simple but beautiful, and the film itself makes fantastic use of the music to accent the many elaborate scenery shots that Shinkai has become somewhat [in]famous for. His digital paintings can be absolutely breathtaking at times, and the over all tone of the film in addition to the ambient music makes for a real treat. Strangely the pacing seems remarkably slow, and despite being just a 30min long film, you may well walk away swearing it lasted a full ninety minutes.

The nerd in me also just has to point out that the concept of the film hinges around a concept pertaining to spacial relativity, as defined by the proposals of Einstein. The specific idea played upon is what's called the "Twin Paradox" -no, it has nothing to do with the paradox twins from the duelist kingdom arc of yugioh- which states, to put it simply, that if given two individuals(perhaps say, twins) one of whom you send traveling away from earth at greater-than-light speeds, the other of whom remains on earth, that should the first return to earth he will have effectively aged less than the relatively stationary twin. Replace those twins with relaying text messages traveling at those same theoretical speeds and you've got this movie's chief gimmick.

Also it has giant mecha fighting against aliens...

Elc1247 05-11-2010 03:25 PM

@tyto that was a bit of a novel... but I saw voices of a distant star as well. Good movie. I personally think that the director is pretty good. Though I have to say, the endings of his movies I find to be not very satisfying...

twillÿ 05-21-2010 12:25 AM

Well, Netflix has put up an okay selection of anime lately, so I've taken the liberty to check some of them out...

Just recently watched Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.: 2nd Gig: Individual Eleven and The Placed Promised in Our Early Days.

Of course, GitS was nothing short of stellar, reminded me why I love that series. I plan on watching the other GitS movies they have up pretty soon. The Place Promised in Our Early Days was something else, half drama half love story. It was kinda confusing and right now I'm still not sure I understood fully why everything that happened, happened, but none-the-less it was a decent film with a great musical score. ^^

ZshadowX 05-28-2010 10:31 PM

Last anime movie I watched was Afro Samurai Resurrection....i cried.... and 5 Centimeters Per Second i cried....oh also Eureka Seven - Good Night, Sleep Tight Young Lovers, Howl's Moving Castle, Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem, and Karas The Prophecy & The Revelation, oh and
Kiki's Delivery Service..... all of them made me cry T~T

Zero Gravity 05-31-2010 04:20 PM

Still waiting on the new YuGiOh movie....

Last full on movie I saw was Halo Legends, although if you want a feature lengthed movie, then the MOST RECENT one I saw was the Arceus Movie

homie_jiraiya 05-31-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee (Post 13124)
I bought Bleach: Memories of Nobody not to horribly long ago...
Kinda wish I didn't...It wasn't very good in my opinion...
1) I bought the dubbed version on accident...>.<
2) The movie felt rushed at the end...moved way too fast...and I have never made that complaint before...

It just wasn't as good as the regular anime...shoulda just got a Season @.@

whene did they learn to fly near the end three of them looked like they were standing on the air#srstable
ps mah spoon is too big