91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Debates (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   [NonReligious] Sub Vs Dub which do you like (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385)

ace8489 01-10-2010 09:00 AM

Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
This is just cause i like to hear what people watch sub or dub and why they like it that way.I like dub because I don't like to read my anime and its hard to watch sometimes will you looking at the subtitles at the bottom.

So what do you like and why

Edit: The opinions expressed in this thread are not necessarily the opinions of the company "91.8 The Fan" and its owners. Any discussion of dubbed anime is presumed to be legally viewed by means of either streaming through various streaming sites, such as Hulu, Joost, or YouTube. Any mention of anime watched via means of illegal activities is not condones, nor supported by 91.8 The Fan or its owners.

-Kibs

XIamSogekingX 01-10-2010 09:07 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
I know I am more of a sub person just because I dont like the restrictions of language and certain scenes when watching it on TV. You can usually get a uncut version when you buy the DVDs and that will make up for it but my over all thing for watching sub over dub is just because I like the japanese voice overs better then the English ones. The closer you can get to the original idea and direction, the better it is.

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 01-10-2010 09:44 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 4027)
I know I am more of a sub person just because I dont like the restrictions of language and certain scenes when watching it on TV. You can usually get a uncut version when you buy the DVDs and that will make up for it but my over all thing for watching sub over dub is just because I like the japanese voice overs better then the English ones. The closer you can get to the original idea and direction, the better it is.

I agree. I usually prefer subs as well, but there have been series where I prefer the dub, such as Code Geass. The Gurren Lagann dub wasn't bad either.

christmas4477 01-10-2010 09:49 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
I prefer dubs, but I will watch subs. I just like hearing the English voices.

XIamSogekingX 01-10-2010 11:09 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 (Post 4029)
I agree. I usually prefer subs as well, but there have been series where I prefer the dub, such as Code Geass. The Gurren Lagann dub wasn't bad either.

Indeed. I like the dub of Death Note and Please Teacher.

MechaTamago 01-10-2010 11:30 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
There are a lot of good dubs and equally bad dubs, there are a few Japanese dubs that I didn't like and there were some that I did like. But if I had to choose, I would have to go with dubs because they work just as hard as the Japanese voice actors to make it work.

Force-A-Nature 01-10-2010 11:33 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Dubs. Like to watch not read. Though, I'll do subs if I HAVE to see it. Like Baccano! (Whose dub is pretty badass).

Kercon 01-10-2010 12:05 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
For me ..... hmmmm ....... If dub is good I can do with it but most of time subs ^_^

Kanashimi 01-10-2010 12:16 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
It depends, it usually depends on what I watch first. I enjoy subs a good deal of the time, but I love hearing my favorite voice actors in America. So it more or less is the mood I'm in.

FFHellDragon 01-10-2010 01:02 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
I like both about the same, Sometimes i prefer the Japanese with Subs because i like the voices better than dub or it isn't available in Dub.
(Subs don't bother me, i can read fast and still take everything in so i have no big problem)

Dubs are good too because you can sit back and relax a little bit more since you don't have too keep closing in to read subs and i like hearing my favorite Voice Actors! ^^

Halfmetal-lich 01-10-2010 01:14 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
The Voice Actors have gotten far far better and many series are getting very good with the voice acting. Detective Conan's dub and Full Metal Alchemist are both. "Slam Dunks." when it comes to the cast.

I like subs, but if the dub is great, like those two mentioned above. I'll prefer the dub.

Shadowblade Edge 01-10-2010 04:33 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Well I like both, but I prefer subs, not because they're better, but because it's the original.

Oni 01-10-2010 04:52 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Both, because I'm not a nitpicky son-of-a.

And no, I don't prefer either one over the other. I couldn't care less where the animation came from, I mean, I didn't watch Code Lyoko in French (yes, I watched that).

ace8489 01-10-2010 05:33 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
wow I'm glad to see that everyone is nice about it I was worried that people might go over bored and be like "subs are the best dubs suck ROAR!!!" but its good to see that everyone is cool with both subs and dubs and not closed minded and think only the on is good and the other is crap.

Elk 01-10-2010 06:22 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfmetal-lich (Post 4111)
The Voice Actors have gotten far far better and many series are getting very good with the voice acting.

This. Unfortunately, I haven't really seen a lot of dubs lately, but the ones I am seeing are better than I remembered. In my day, the only dubs I preferred over subs were Golden Boy, Fushigi Yuugi, and Bebop was a tie. There were a number of good dubs, but they were close to the quality of the Japanese dub, and like someone else mentioned, I preferred getting closer to what the original intent was. Back then my ranking system would be sub > manga > dub.

But now the quality of dubbing is much higher, so it's manga > sub = dub.

XIamSogekingX 01-10-2010 07:21 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4182)
Both, because I'm not a nitpicky son-of-a.

And no, I don't prefer either one over the other. I couldn't care less where the animation came from, I mean, I didn't watch Code Lyoko in French (yes, I watched that).

Yay I remember those days. Indeed, I never watched that series in French either (though I did check out some clips from unaired stuff that were in French).

I too also like the Fullmetal Alchemist dub but my problem lies in how they didn't leave the openings alone on TV. I really like the first opening of FMA. I like them all and the second one is good too but I just wanted them to have all the openings like they were supposed to be shown.

Oni 01-10-2010 11:12 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 4209)
Yay I remember those days. Indeed, I never watched that series in French either (though I did check out some clips from unaired stuff that were in French).

I too also like the Fullmetal Alchemist dub but my problem lies in how they didn't leave the openings alone on TV. I really like the first opening of FMA. I like them all and the second one is good too but I just wanted them to have all the openings like they were supposed to be shown.

I presumed that they couldn't acquire the rights to the first and third opening songs, so they were forced to use the second and forth. But, I enjoyed those openings anyway. xP

Kanashimi 01-11-2010 12:56 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Haha, I like a lot of older dubs actually because I think there's a lot of heart in them such as the 3X3 Eyes or Golden Boy ones. For both they just seemed to work, and felt naturally. Ah! My Goddess the OVA had a good classic dub I've always adored, specifically since the two main characters were actually married. That's chemistry you can't make up.

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 01-11-2010 01:06 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanashimi (Post 4270)
Haha, I like a lot of older dubs actually because I think there's a lot of heart in them such as the 3X3 Eyes or Golden Boy ones.

I love the Golden Boy dub! I found it much more fun, and SO EDUCATIONAL! ^_^

Oni 01-11-2010 03:21 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanashimi (Post 4270)
Haha, I like a lot of older dubs actually because I think there's a lot of heart in them such as the 3X3 Eyes or Golden Boy ones. For both they just seemed to work, and felt naturally. Ah! My Goddess the OVA had a good classic dub I've always adored, specifically since the two main characters were actually married. That's chemistry you can't make up.

Of course, let's not spoil the plot for any potential watchers now, right?

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 01-11-2010 03:39 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4309)
Of course, let's not spoil the plot for any potential watchers now, right?

lol, too late. XP

Kate 01-11-2010 03:45 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
It really depends on how the voices are for the dub and sub. I've mostly seen subs. Though, I've seen some wonderful dubs, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Fate/Stay Night, etc. Though, I've been pretty scared to see animes in their dubbed form. D.Gray-man is an example. That turned out horribly wrong. Stuff like Vampire Knight and Rosario+Vampire I'm currently scared off, as well.

In the end, I guess sub is leaning a little more towards what I would choose. Except for that, they're pretty much tied.

Oni 01-11-2010 04:28 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 4321)
It really depends on how the voices are for the dub and sub. I've mostly seen subs. Though, I've seen some wonderful dubs, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Fate/Stay Night, etc. Though, I've been pretty scared to see animes in their dubbed form. D.Gray-man is an example. That turned out horribly wrong. Stuff like Vampire Knight and Rosario+Vampire I'm currently scared off, as well.

In the end, I guess sub is leaning a little more towards what I would choose. Except for that, they're pretty much tied.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.

Of course, I'm not even going to start on the likely quality of the translation of a fan.

I just thought your post was a good building block of sorts, after all this is supposed to be a "debate". xD

Kate 01-11-2010 04:38 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Oh, I know a fan's translation can be off... really off. Some are still close to the mark. It's funny. When I watch an anime with subtitles (English) for dubbed, it's always off. xD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4334)
Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.

No... Yes.. Maybe.

ace8489 01-11-2010 05:12 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4334)
Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.

I never thought of it like that but now that you say it it make sense that I do.

Also back on topic I think it depends on the company makes the dub.I do watch some subs if there is no dub or the dub isnt very good

CantStrafeRight 01-11-2010 06:43 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4334)
Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.

Not in my head, maybe in yours.



I prefer subs. For me I prefer the sound of the Japanese voices and I don't like how American accents can stand out like a sore thumb in some animes, but that's just me personally.

XIamSogekingX 01-11-2010 06:54 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4334)
Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.

Alot of times when I read subs, I do it in a voice as close as I can to the voice actor, just so I can practice voice acting. Practice makes perfect.

Also, from awhile back Oni, I didn't think it was because they couldn't get the rights of the song, I thought it was one of those "We are a bunch of old executive guys and we know what kids want, they want the more actiony songs" and that's why they didn't use the first or third openings. All this is coming from how 4Kids treated One Piece saying, "Oh yeah, the kids these days are into the hippity hoppity music so that's what we are going to give them."

But the rap was sort of good in a way...just not opening material.

Bonediddly 01-11-2010 09:44 AM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Unless the dub is exceptional I normally stick with subs. I just like Japanese voice acting better.
It's funny, even when I watch dubs my eyes automatically gravitate to the bottom of the screen.

Oni 01-11-2010 03:56 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CantStrafeRight (Post 4357)
Not in my head, maybe in yours.



I prefer subs. For me I prefer the sound of the Japanese voices and I don't like how American accents can stand out like a sore thumb in some animes, but that's just me personally.

Unless you're skimming through the text on the bottom of the screen, thus not taking it in, you'll be reading it in your own voice.

That's funny, because a Japanese person would probably say the exact same thing about Japanese dubs.

Quote:

Alot of times when I read subs, I do it in a voice as close as I can to the voice actor, just so I can practice voice acting. Practice makes perfect.
Unless you're actually voicing it, how is that practice?

Shin_No_Kokoro 01-11-2010 04:00 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
I like subs a lot better, one beatiful example of why is the ever famous DBZ. When i saw it as i little kid and was watchin the freeza saga i noticed that at some points the characters were supposed to be silent but instead they dubbed in iddle chatter 0.o also when frieza screamed on the dubbed version it was soft but on the original DAMN!!!!!! the guy who did frieza's voice had some talent!!! And this is why i only watch subs now

XIamSogekingX 01-11-2010 04:01 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4692)
Unless you're actually voicing it, how is that practice?

What do you mean?

Im saying that I do a voice for that character saying what the subs say in a voice that I think would fit them.

It's making sense in my head, I guess it's not out here :P

Oni 01-11-2010 04:03 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin_No_Kokoro (Post 4699)
I like subs a lot better, one beatiful example of why is the ever famous DBZ. When i saw it as i little kid and was watchin the freeza saga i noticed that at some points the characters were supposed to be silent but instead they dubbed in iddle chatter 0.o also when frieza screamed on the dubbed version it was soft but on the original DAMN!!!!!! the guy who did frieza's voice had some talent!!! And this is why i only watch subs now

What? But most would agree that DBZ's Japanese cast was pretty...bad.

Catilena1890 01-11-2010 04:20 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Many people call me a true Otaku. This is because I care not how I get my anime, as long as I get it, I`m happy. I read manga, I watch dubbed anime, I watch subbed anime, and lately, to get my rockman/megaman fix, I even watch raw anime. I find plot summaries from wiki and tv.com or something and read what each episode is about so I can understand it, and then I go somewhere to find said episode and just by watching the characters and listening to the tone of their voices, I can kinda get the giest of the story and enjoy the episode, even though I don`t understand a word of it. I also have mastered the art of watching and reading at the same time through watching much subbed anime. I have to say, I think I prefer dubbed the least only because the stupid FCC butchers the show and cuts episodes to the point of "why do I even bother watching this?" I mean, cursing and stuff is one thing, but really, just because someone says "I love you" that is grounds for cutting the episode? but I`m getting to a WHOLE other topic. So my answer, I`m ok with both, but I`ll watch a subbed episode before I watch a dubbing, quite literally.

Oni 01-11-2010 04:25 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
The Japanese are pretty strict when it comes to censorship themselves.

Shin_No_Kokoro 01-11-2010 04:27 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
I remember it took me like 5 days to find a non-censored Kodomo no Jikan online

Oni 01-11-2010 04:28 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
That was exactly the anime I was thinking about when I posted. xD

I don't think the FCC would censor half the screen due to bloomers.

Catilena1890 01-11-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
True, they are, but only if the anime in question doesn`t have some kind of warning. For instance, I have yet too watch a subbed anime that did not have cursing, even from little kids, in it. Rockman, Naruto, Pokemon, they all have it, and they are all intended for kids much younger than legally adult me, but the thing that saves them from censorship is a pre-showing warning

XIamSogekingX 01-11-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin_No_Kokoro (Post 4727)
I remember it took me like 5 days to find a non-censored Kodomo no Jikan online

That show had alot of censor bears and chirping birds...for good reason though. I understand why they did it and I respect that. That's why you have DVD's with uncut glory.

Oni 01-11-2010 04:31 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catilena1890 (Post 4730)
True, they are, but only if the anime in question doesn`t have some kind of warning. For instance, I have yet too watch a subbed anime that did not have cursing, even from little kids, in it. Rockman, Naruto, Pokemon, they all have it, and they are all intended for kids much younger than legally adult me, but the thing that saves them from censorship is a pre-showing warning

Ahem, 'swearing'? Probably added in by the fansubber.

Catilena1890 01-11-2010 04:38 PM

Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 4732)
Ahem, 'swearing'? Probably added in by the fansubber.

Most of the stuff I`ve seen was subbed by WPP, I don`t know them that well so probably. All I know is I have seen Netto, Konahamaru, and Satoshi *Ash* all say S*** and the six letter B word every 5 minutes or so when I watched their subbed-japanese counterparts


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.