91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Japanese food (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226)

SaiQ 08-24-2010 10:56 PM

Re: Japanese food

Some Japanese super markets have Ahi Poki, which is like raw tuna served over the counter cheap.

Nirvash_Redemption 09-05-2010 02:51 PM

Sushi, pocky, ramune, Udon, Pho[Korean, but still good],and yakisoba are the only foods i had that are japanese, save the Pho. Any suggestions as to what i should try next or make?

chefofdeath 09-05-2010 03:28 PM

have u tried any tempura fish and vegetables

Leviathan Mist 09-05-2010 04:08 PM

Tempura is good stuff..

Oh em gee...when I went to Todai restaurant, they made some killer crepes. I know crepes aren't Japanese, but they were sooo goooood *drool*

moonhawk81 09-05-2010 06:24 PM

I was at a Japanese cafe recently in Collierville, TN, and ordered a bento box. I don't have a clue what half the stuff was, but it all tasted pretty good. Still, it's the first time I've been able to order a bento box. **soooooooooo happy--must stop smiling--scaring small children**

ZshadowX 09-05-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk81 (Post 19319)
I was at a Japanese cafe recently in Collierville, TN, and ordered a bento box. I don't have a clue what half the stuff was, but it all tasted pretty good. Still, it's the first time I've been able to order a bento box. **soooooooooo happy--must stop smiling--scaring small children**

can someone explain whats a Bento Box

I have no idea what that is#tooembarrassed

moonhawk81 09-05-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZshadowX (Post 19320)
can someone explain whats a Bento Box

I have no idea what that is#tooembarrassed

It's like a lunchbox packed with great-tasting unidentifiable yummy stuff. But in the restaurant, it's more like a segmented wooden tray so packed. . .

Leviathan Mist 09-05-2010 06:48 PM

I've had a Bento box, I forgot the name of the place I went to but it was very good, I loved it. I have pics from that day on my facebook!

moonhawk81 09-05-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan Mist (Post 19328)
I've had a Bento box, I forgot the name of the place I went to but it was very good, I loved it. I have pics from that day on my facebook!

Yay for yummy stuff! But since I don't have facebook, I'll just have to imagine. . .

ZshadowX 09-05-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk81 (Post 19326)
It's like a lunchbox packed with great-tasting unidentifiable yummy stuff. But in the restaurant, it's more like a segmented wooden tray so packed. . .

so basically its a Lunch box then,

*scratches his head

moonhawk81 09-05-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZshadowX (Post 19333)
so basically its a Lunch box then,

*scratches his head

If taken to go, then yes. If eaten at the restaurant, more like a tray. Traditionally, they're wooden or bamboo segmented boxes with lids. As you can imagine, they are carried with the lid upwards, else much yummy will end up on the ground or on your leg.

chefofdeath 09-06-2010 08:55 PM

today i went to get something to eat and found this place that had fried udon i was curious and had to try it and it was great

christmas4477 09-10-2010 09:14 PM

All I've had are pocky and ramune. Sure, everyone's had ramen, but not too many have had real ramen. I'd like to try some eventually, since most anime make it look really good. Same thing with curry.

Kibs 09-10-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christmas4477 (Post 19464)
All I've had are pocky and ramune. Sure, everyone's had ramen, but not too many have had real ramen. I'd like to try some eventually, since most anime make it look really good. Same thing with curry.

There's a Japanese steakhouse near here, it's really good, I highly doubt it's purely authentic, but it's about the closest to real Japanese food I've had.

But I don't see anything particularly intriguing about food from other cultures. Most of it can really boil down to the basic food groups, grains, dairy, vegetables, and meat. Just how they're prepared is all of the difference.

chefofdeath 09-19-2010 09:31 PM

my uncle that i had no idea existed lives in japan and wants to help me start a resturant in japan

moonhawk81 09-20-2010 05:21 AM

But what would it be? Japanese food or American?

chefofdeath 09-20-2010 09:40 AM

well i want to learn japanese food when i get up there

moonhawk81 09-20-2010 02:47 PM

For yourself, certainly. But don't you think that your customers might want the chance to eat authentic American? You know, something besides the ubiquitous McDonald's. Just a thought.

chefofdeath 09-20-2010 05:48 PM

thats part of my plan heh .... sence i am learning french style cooking atm twards the end of graduating there is a ethnics cooking class so i will take in a few other styles aswell

moonhawk81 09-21-2010 05:32 AM

Let me know when you're up and running! My 8 years Navy were as an MS (cook), and I have years more experience in civi restaurants. My specialities are Coon_ss (both Cajun & Creole, and their combination), traditional Southern, and Italian. C'est bon!