You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Tempest Wind

Seki Tomokazu Fangirl

Tempest Wind is meh
Cosplay Q&A

Here is where seasoned veterans of cosplay can answer questions about the art they love. Anyone can ask questions (as long as you keep it appropriate).

This is a free-form Q&A so anyone can answer any question.

Tempest Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Amui

Fan

Amui is a splendid one to behold Amui is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cosplay Q&A

How much does the regular cosplay run money-wise, usually?
Were you afraid your first time cosplaying in public, and if so how did you overcome that fear?

Amui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
TehScribbles
Duel Wields Staplers

TehScribbles is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amui View Post
Were you afraid your first time cosplaying in public, and if so how did you overcome that fear?
Depends on the cosplay, a simple one say a school girl outfit, Probably run about 40-50$ if your making all by scratch. Buying and adjusting the products cost alittle less and don't take as much time. For a bigger one, say Trinity blood costume can run you about 200-300$+ regardless of buying or making it yourself if your a nick pick. You have to remember the type of fabric you use. If you play on buying a costume remember that when you buy it will probably cost more then if your making it because your paying for labor of the seamstress. The more accessory you want with a costume the more money you will spend on it.

The first time I cosplyed in public..hm I think was back at AB 07 when I was a Thief from Disgaea 2. I was scared on the train/subway because I stood out, but after I got to the con I forgot about my fear and had fun! :D

TehScribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amui View Post
Depending on what it is you're trying to cosplay, it can vary widely. I got away with my cosplay being around $10 because I bought all my raw materials from thrift shops and pieces from home. My latest endevour cost me about $150 because it required a lot more material. I recommend making a list of everything you need to make and figure out what it is you have to make from scratch and what you can create from premade clothing.

My first time cosplaying at a con was in '08 at NDK and I was Haruhi from Ouran, Conan Edogawa from Detective Conan and Amnael from Yugioh GX. You could imagine the looks I got for the latter, but you have to remember that you're dressing up to have fun not to make a social statement in the outside world. Just pop in your head-phones and get yourself pumped for the crazy fun ahead. You forget how strange you feel when people at the con start gushing over your character and making friends with fellow cosplayers

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Elanora

Elanora is meh

Oh man, I always end up spending way more on my costumes than you would if you bought it online.

Even with 50% off coupons nice fabrics are expensive, and wigs, and shoes, and false lashes (lol CLAMP). . . it all adds up so quickly.

In fact the cheapest cosplays I've done are the ones that are primarily assembled clothing that doesn't really require modification. I did a reborn costume for~$55 (wig included) while my most recent costume (Guru Clef of MKR) had 21yds of fabric, pounds of resin gems, fosshape, etc. . . I purposefully didn't tabulate the cost of that costume, but I'm guessing it was probably close to $400. But then we've received ~$170 worth of prizes. Speaking of prizes - could anyone use 2 free tickets to Colossalcon in Sandusky, OH? I won't be able to go, and would love to see someone make use of them!
Elanora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
spiritfoxdemon

spiritfoxdemon is meh

I have a question about cosplaying
I'm soon cosplaying as Bianchi from Katekyo Hitman Reborn and I was wondering
is it important to have like nail polish on for the character

i looked at some pics of her and i saw that she has pink nail polish on and does it matter if its pale pink or electric pink?
Thank you
spiritfoxdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
TehScribbles
Duel Wields Staplers

TehScribbles is meh

It's up to you, but for better accessory I'd go with the nail polish. If your entering it in a contest you might want to be as close as possible to the character. If your doing it just for fun, enjoyment and pictures then wearing either pale or electric pink is your choice. Just remember to have fun while cosplaying!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
homie_jiraiya
Fan

homie_jiraiya is meh

okay i'm wanting to go as jiraiya sensei for my first cosplay and i was wondering how to get the hair right i've seen folks dressed as him and they never get it right any tips

homie_jiraiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Elanora

Elanora is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie_jiraiya View Post
okay i'm wanting to go as jiraiya sensei for my first cosplay and i was wondering how to get the hair right i've seen folks dressed as him and they never get it right any tips
Do you have any references (or even just the name of the series so we can look ourselves?)
Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
homie_jiraiya
Fan

homie_jiraiya is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanora View Post
Do you have any references (or even just the name of the series so we can look ourselves?)
T~T that makes me cry jiraiya sama is from naruto and naruto shippuden i just thought that was a show every nerd watched sorry (P.S. sorry for not giving a picture i can't vigure out how

Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
TehScribbles
Duel Wields Staplers

TehScribbles is meh
Post Re: Cosplay Q&A

Quote:
For styling I suggest, 'Got 2B glued' gell and frezzing spray. A eig made from Kanekalon Fibers is suggested. For jiraiya's long hair part, use extensions! Long wigs tangle and pull the wig to it's breaking point. I don't know of any tut for styling jiraiya but you can find tuts on spiking hair around the web. I hoped these tips helped ^^

Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
homie_jiraiya
Fan

homie_jiraiya is meh

thnx your help is appreciated

Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
Elanora

Elanora is meh

Quote:
T~T that makes me cry jiraiya sama is from naruto and naruto shippuden i just thought that was a show every nerd watched sorry (P.S. sorry for not giving a picture i can't vigure out how
I'd use this wig.

To keep it from tangling you can spray a sheen spray onto it a couple of days before wearing. If you want to define spikes use hairspray to get the general shape and then secure it with some Got 2 B Glued hair glue on the very end of the spike.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
homie_jiraiya
Fan

homie_jiraiya is meh

that would probably work emensly well thank you. now dose anyone know where to get fishnet shirts and leggings

Old 08-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Not sure if anyone is watching this thread anymore, but I'll give it a shot!

Being a newbie to cosplay and looking for ideas (thanks 91.8 The Fan for all of those great cosplay galleries!) Are there any particular websites that are "THE" place to shop for cosplay stuff?

I'm trying to put together a simple cosplay for my first go around. Most likely the SSS uniform for the guys in Angel Beats! I've tried all sorts of google searches, but they come up pretty dry or are WAY off in design. Please HALP! Thanks! =)

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I'd suggest cosplay.com for wigs, but there are some great quality ones on eBay. As for pre-made costumes I can't really help you very much. I'd recommend commissioning someone off of cosplay.com

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I'd suggest cosplay.com for wigs, but there are some great quality ones on eBay. As for pre-made costumes I can't really help you very much. I'd recommend commissioning someone off of cosplay.com
Thanks so much for the info! I'll check it out! =)

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
Cheflelouch
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Cheflelouch is meh

Well adventurous I'm also somewhat new in cosplay but I give it my best when I make them my self and I have only brought one cosplay from Cosplaymagic.com and I can say that the designs are good but careful when you order online cause as I heard most of the measurements and might not fit or are to big for you

Proud to be MEXICAN

Cheflelouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cosplay , q&a