You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Osaka
Fan

Osaka is meh
Avatar: The Last Airbender, Anime?

This question come up a lot, but I've got the answer.

When you search up Dr Movie, its owned by a anime company. Also if you look at the credits. Dr Movie also helps with Naruto, who knew?

Osaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender, Anime?

They also did Batman, I hardly call that anime
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road

I consider Avatar: The Last Airbender to be a mutt.

I love the show and it definitely has more depth than an average American cartoon, so I do not classify it with those, but it is also not from Japan, so there are those who would disagree with it being an anime. It's probably a question that will be up forever in the otaku culture, but I consider it one, none-the-less.

twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

It's not an anime, plain and simple. I hear this discussion a lot, but let's look at the word "anime". In Japan, it simply means animation, but it's used over here to specifically refer to Japanese animation. The word is Japanese in origin, not Latin like most of the English language. As such, the word itself already excludes Avatar: The Last Airbender.

To me it's very cut and dry, I don't believe anime is a style, but based on origin. It's much like how Korean title their form of "manga" as "manhwa". If you say I'm reading a manhwa, people will understand you're reading a Korean comic.

I think the line blurred for many people due to the fact that anime is such a fandom aimed at the younger generation who think they can turn words into slang (as in sick can mean bad or good). I don't believe anime can be defined just as a style, and thus anything ever in that style is anime. If this was the case it would be hard to understand what was and what wasn't since anime styles change, and people are influenced throughout the world from their favorite cartoons. It's like turning the word anime into meaning cartoons in general.

I feel like if Avatar is accepted as an anime, then you might as well accept Johnny Bravo (USA), My Gym Partner Is A Money, Drama Island (Canadian), etc. We have a word for those things though already, it's called cartoons.

These are just my beliefs though.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Osaka
Fan

Osaka is meh

@Kanashimi Then we should probably tell Netflix that.

Anime is the universal term for animation in Japan, but I'd hate to call Japanese Animation, "Cartoons".

@EE I know, I think they also did Teen Titans and Duck Dodgers?

@Twilly I agree, like Invader ZIM, but its not Japanese Animation....Some people think IZ is classified as Anime.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I feel like if Avatar is accepted as an anime, then you might as well accept Johnny Bravo (USA), My Gym Partner Is A Money, Drama Island (Canadian), etc. We have a word for those things though already, it's called cartoons.

These are just my beliefs though.
Yeah, if Johnny Bravo and My Gym Partner Is A Monkey actually had a story maybe. I think I draw the line differently because I see American cartoons as slapstick and pointless, whereas anime usually has a defined story and fleshed out characters who aren't all just for giggles. Most of the anime that I've seen typically have some sort of story and follow some sort of linear path. You can watch any five episodes of Johnny Bravo in any order and not be lost, but if you miss any episodes of an anime or show with anything remotely resembling a plot, like Avatar, you will be.

I agree with what you said that I didn't highlight, because no, in a nutshell, Avatar is not an anime and is commonly generalized as one because of the art style and setting. It was America's attempt at anime and I think it worked out well. I guess what I'm saying is Avatar could of been straight of Japan, essentially, where Johnny Bravo, would never of been. Like I said, it is a mutt. I'll personally consider it one, but not everyone is going to.

twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Though, you could also say Sailor Moon has an episodic feel as well. Plenty of shows have that formula where you won't get lost. Though that sort of thinking is very subjective and different to each person. I mean, someone could counter that shows like K-ON don't really have a defined story... Lucky Star is in that same sort of boat. So if you take that into consideration, it really just depends on how the person views thing.

I will say Avatar could have come from Japan, but it would have had a better ending if it did. Though I think the journey to get there would have been more "foreign" if that makes sense.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
christmas4477

Smugleaf

christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold

This is one of the few shows I've seen that I like to classify as "Fanime" A good animation style, with usually a decent plot and subject matter you'd see coming from an anime. Other things I've seen that I think fall into this category include Teen Titans, Megas XLR, Totally Spies, and Samurai Jack. I've been hearing that Sym-bionic Titan might be good enough to fit in this category I've made up, but I haven't checked it out yet.

christmas4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Jiraku

Jiraku is meh

Ok... how about we look at it this way... Scott Pilgrim and Megatokyo are not Mangas by most people's perspectives because they are american, but the art style and story depth make it so that it seems like it's anime... but the same question arises for those books as well... Anime doesn't have to be Japanese because if you actually know you're languages "Anime" is French for Animation... In that case... Anime does have a certain spectrum and art style that makes it it's own thing... Which technically means that Anime (as I described it in my theory) can be from any country and walk of life, as long as it has the art style, story, and anime feel... So in other words, if you're an anime nut, and you see an American cartoon, and ask yourself "Is this anime?" Then more than likely it is... But that's just my opinion and theory... Now I'm going to go watch some Anime...

Jiraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Osaka
Fan

Osaka is meh

Very facinating,Anime is also french for Animation .

I miss Code Lyoko, CN never finished it.

Theres animation from the 90s that doesn't have any reseblence to anime in art style or storyline. But are some of the best ever, like; Gargoyles and Batman: TAS.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
christmas4477

Smugleaf

christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold

Ah, Code Lyoko was another that I had forgotten about. Also very good story with it's own special animation style. I do remember some 90s shows being great, but if we're going to get into Batman series and which was best, my vote goes to the one simply titled: The Batman. It seems like there was more focus on plot back then, instead of most of the garbage cartoons going on now. Even Cartoon network doesn't like it's programming so much that they're moving onto to live action dramas and game shows, yet still tries to pass themselves off as "Cartoon" Network.

christmas4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
Osaka
Fan

Osaka is meh

Yeah I know, a lot of animation lacks these days storyline and art.

I never got into The Batman, it was pretty good though. The art style bugged me, Batman: TAS was the best to me because it was a stunning work of art, had the best VA's, was multilingual and had a pretty good storyline.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #13
SailorMoon

SailorMoon is meh

*waves at Osaka* Nice to see a fellow Okie on these boards! :D And I have to agree, but there's a very fine line of separation....it's all animated, yes. But the style and origin makes all the difference! Problem now is, they don't make anime like they used to.... it used to end eventually! (i.e. One Piece, what, like 500 eps now?) XD Don't get me wrong, I like the show.... but jeez!

SailorMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

OK, just kind of wondering whatever happened to the term "japanime?" I would very definitely consider "Avatar: The Last Airbender" to be anime, just not japanime. When anime first started gaining a large US audience several decades ago, "japanime" described absolute authenticity, whereas "anime" allowed for a little wiggle room, usually based on content or quality. Sort of like the difference between "kin" and "kith," although, come to think of it, I guess I'm the only one I know of who still uses the word "kith."

**sigh. . .you kids wear me out sometimes. . .** ;p

Last edited by moonhawk81; 10-31-2010 at 11:32 PM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
Kayarath

The Biggest Troll on the website

Kayarath is on a distinguished road

I believe the term you're looking for is animesque.

WARNING! Clicking on the link posted may cause you to lose endless hours of your life. Proceed with caution. WARNING!
Kayarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #16
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Nice article, Kayarath. I found intriguing the suggestion that the wide, oversized eyes given characters in current anime originate with early twentieth-century American animation. Betty Boop has always been one of my favorites, and--having become aware of the above suggestion--I do see immediate parallels.

Still, I cannot help but wonder whatever happened to that old term japanime. I seem to recall its use as recently as the mid-to-late 1980's, and its existence allowed for a much freer use of the term anime.

Last edited by moonhawk81; 12-08-2010 at 01:53 AM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags