91.8 The Fan

Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #21
黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」
Fan

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 is meh
Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Of course, let's not spoil the plot for any potential watchers now, right?
lol, too late. XP

PSN: mark_as_RED

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #22
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

It really depends on how the voices are for the dub and sub. I've mostly seen subs. Though, I've seen some wonderful dubs, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Fate/Stay Night, etc. Though, I've been pretty scared to see animes in their dubbed form. D.Gray-man is an example. That turned out horribly wrong. Stuff like Vampire Knight and Rosario+Vampire I'm currently scared off, as well.

In the end, I guess sub is leaning a little more towards what I would choose. Except for that, they're pretty much tied.

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 AM   #23
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
It really depends on how the voices are for the dub and sub. I've mostly seen subs. Though, I've seen some wonderful dubs, like Fullmetal Alchemist, Code Geass, Fate/Stay Night, etc. Though, I've been pretty scared to see animes in their dubbed form. D.Gray-man is an example. That turned out horribly wrong. Stuff like Vampire Knight and Rosario+Vampire I'm currently scared off, as well.

In the end, I guess sub is leaning a little more towards what I would choose. Except for that, they're pretty much tied.
Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.

Of course, I'm not even going to start on the likely quality of the translation of a fan.

I just thought your post was a good building block of sorts, after all this is supposed to be a "debate". xD

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #24
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

Oh, I know a fan's translation can be off... really off. Some are still close to the mark. It's funny. When I watch an anime with subtitles (English) for dubbed, it's always off. xD

Quote:
Here's an interesting tidbit: Did you know it's extremely likely that, when reading the subtitles in fansubbed/subbed anime, that you are actually interpreting said words in your own speaking voice and not the character's voice.
No... Yes.. Maybe.

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #25
ace8489

The Mod Squad

ace8489 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I never thought of it like that but now that you say it it make sense that I do.

Also back on topic I think it depends on the company makes the dub.I do watch some subs if there is no dub or the dub isnt very good

ace8489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #26
CantStrafeRight

CantStrafeRight is meh

Quote:
Not in my head, maybe in yours.

I prefer subs. For me I prefer the sound of the Japanese voices and I don't like how American accents can stand out like a sore thumb in some animes, but that's just me personally.

CantStrafeRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #27
XIamSogekingX
Fan

XIamSogekingX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alot of times when I read subs, I do it in a voice as close as I can to the voice actor, just so I can practice voice acting. Practice makes perfect.

Also, from awhile back Oni, I didn't think it was because they couldn't get the rights of the song, I thought it was one of those "We are a bunch of old executive guys and we know what kids want, they want the more actiony songs" and that's why they didn't use the first or third openings. All this is coming from how 4Kids treated One Piece saying, "Oh yeah, the kids these days are into the hippity hoppity music so that's what we are going to give them."

But the rap was sort of good in a way...just not opening material.

XIamSogekingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #28
Bonediddly
Fan

Bonediddly is on a distinguished road

Unless the dub is exceptional I normally stick with subs. I just like Japanese voice acting better.
It's funny, even when I watch dubs my eyes automatically gravitate to the bottom of the screen.

Bonediddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #29
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStrafeRight View Post
Not in my head, maybe in yours.

I prefer subs. For me I prefer the sound of the Japanese voices and I don't like how American accents can stand out like a sore thumb in some animes, but that's just me personally.
Unless you're skimming through the text on the bottom of the screen, thus not taking it in, you'll be reading it in your own voice.

That's funny, because a Japanese person would probably say the exact same thing about Japanese dubs.

Quote:
Alot of times when I read subs, I do it in a voice as close as I can to the voice actor, just so I can practice voice acting. Practice makes perfect.
Unless you're actually voicing it, how is that practice?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #30
Shin_No_Kokoro
Fan

Shin_No_Kokoro is on a distinguished road

I like subs a lot better, one beatiful example of why is the ever famous DBZ. When i saw it as i little kid and was watchin the freeza saga i noticed that at some points the characters were supposed to be silent but instead they dubbed in iddle chatter 0.o also when frieza screamed on the dubbed version it was soft but on the original DAMN!!!!!! the guy who did frieza's voice had some talent!!! And this is why i only watch subs now

Shin_No_Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #31
XIamSogekingX
Fan

Quote:
Unless you're actually voicing it, how is that practice?
What do you mean?

Im saying that I do a voice for that character saying what the subs say in a voice that I think would fit them.

It's making sense in my head, I guess it's not out here :P

Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #32
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin_No_Kokoro View Post
I like subs a lot better, one beatiful example of why is the ever famous DBZ. When i saw it as i little kid and was watchin the freeza saga i noticed that at some points the characters were supposed to be silent but instead they dubbed in iddle chatter 0.o also when frieza screamed on the dubbed version it was soft but on the original DAMN!!!!!! the guy who did frieza's voice had some talent!!! And this is why i only watch subs now
What? But most would agree that DBZ's Japanese cast was pretty...bad.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #33
Catilena1890

Catilena1890 is meh

Many people call me a true Otaku. This is because I care not how I get my anime, as long as I get it, I`m happy. I read manga, I watch dubbed anime, I watch subbed anime, and lately, to get my rockman/megaman fix, I even watch raw anime. I find plot summaries from wiki and tv.com or something and read what each episode is about so I can understand it, and then I go somewhere to find said episode and just by watching the characters and listening to the tone of their voices, I can kinda get the giest of the story and enjoy the episode, even though I don`t understand a word of it. I also have mastered the art of watching and reading at the same time through watching much subbed anime. I have to say, I think I prefer dubbed the least only because the stupid FCC butchers the show and cuts episodes to the point of "why do I even bother watching this?" I mean, cursing and stuff is one thing, but really, just because someone says "I love you" that is grounds for cutting the episode? but I`m getting to a WHOLE other topic. So my answer, I`m ok with both, but I`ll watch a subbed episode before I watch a dubbing, quite literally.
In a world that has enslaved dragonkind and their riders, the Dragons of Pern face holders whom harvest them and their young for food. Some riders and dragons have fought back, and have fled the cruelty of the North. They hid away in the Southern continent where they founded the weyr of Vulnera. It's a man eats dragon world out there, will YOU join the fight to protect the dragons?

Catilena1890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #34
Oni
Banhammer'd

The Japanese are pretty strict when it comes to censorship themselves.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #35
Shin_No_Kokoro
Fan

Shin_No_Kokoro is on a distinguished road

I remember it took me like 5 days to find a non-censored Kodomo no Jikan online

Shin_No_Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #36
Oni
Banhammer'd

That was exactly the anime I was thinking about when I posted. xD

I don't think the FCC would censor half the screen due to bloomers.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #37
Catilena1890

Catilena1890 is meh

True, they are, but only if the anime in question doesn`t have some kind of warning. For instance, I have yet too watch a subbed anime that did not have cursing, even from little kids, in it. Rockman, Naruto, Pokemon, they all have it, and they are all intended for kids much younger than legally adult me, but the thing that saves them from censorship is a pre-showing warning
In a world that has enslaved dragonkind and their riders, the Dragons of Pern face holders whom harvest them and their young for food. Some riders and dragons have fought back, and have fled the cruelty of the North. They hid away in the Southern continent where they founded the weyr of Vulnera. It's a man eats dragon world out there, will YOU join the fight to protect the dragons?

Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #38
XIamSogekingX
Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin_No_Kokoro View Post
I remember it took me like 5 days to find a non-censored Kodomo no Jikan online
That show had alot of censor bears and chirping birds...for good reason though. I understand why they did it and I respect that. That's why you have DVD's with uncut glory.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #39
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catilena1890 View Post
True, they are, but only if the anime in question doesn`t have some kind of warning. For instance, I have yet too watch a subbed anime that did not have cursing, even from little kids, in it. Rockman, Naruto, Pokemon, they all have it, and they are all intended for kids much younger than legally adult me, but the thing that saves them from censorship is a pre-showing warning
Ahem, 'swearing'? Probably added in by the fansubber.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #40
Catilena1890

Catilena1890 is meh

Quote:
Ahem, 'swearing'? Probably added in by the fansubber.
Most of the stuff I`ve seen was subbed by WPP, I don`t know them that well so probably. All I know is I have seen Netto, Konahamaru, and Satoshi *Ash* all say S*** and the six letter B word every 5 minutes or so when I watched their subbed-japanese counterparts