Welcome, Guest
It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #81
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of
Re: Sub Vs Dub which do you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorious0702 View Post
once again i did not say anything about preference on the first quote i just stated a fact, if you like dubs better i did not say ur slow, if you thought i did then im saying it now that i didnt. I dont even consider watching 100 animes as being hardcore but i used that to point the example (did not know what else to use for that example to work) since hardcore is not a concrete term it was slightly better than saying anyone.
Don't pass off opinion as fact.

Quote:
Most anime dubbed by americans has been americanised. The fact that its english alone is enough even if dialogue is exactly the same. Thats why i said might because it does depend on the viewer.
No, they haven't. How would I know? Because I HAVE seen over 100 anime in their English dubbed form. I've even seen anime in the early 00's that keep their "-san" and "-sensei" in tact. No, Lucky Star wasn't ground breaking in doing so.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #82
victorious0702
Fan

victorious0702 is meh

people who cant multi task shouldnt multi task i guess is not a fact it just makes more sense.

if someone cant read and pay attention to moving pictures at same time then doing 1 at a time is better it doesnt even matter if its in english or japanese as long as they understand, thats my opinion at least.

I always thought english was more american than japanese. So changing something from something less to something greater would mean making it more like the greater. But that also is my opinion again.

ive probably seen slightly less than 100 animes in their dub form but thats because i prefer japanese subs on most animes.

Last edited by victorious0702; 01-21-2010 at 08:52 PM.
victorious0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #83
Justp94
Banhammer'd

Justp94 is on a distinguished road

Note: The ONLY! Anime i like Subbed is Jyu-Oh-Sei because the voice actors voices actually fit with the character... dubbed not so much..

I only watch anime english dubbed and never watch anime fansubbed, officially subbed, or RAW for the following 4 reasons:

1.) I don't understand the Japanese language at all, tryed learning and gave up.. LOL

2.) I hate reading subtitles, they're annoying and are in the way. Plus they always distract me, causing me to have to rewind all of the time.

3.) I prefer to listen to shows in my language, which is English.

4.) I am very patient, therefore I can deal with waiting for anime to be slowly dubbed and released in the U.S.
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #84
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorious0702 View Post
people who cant multi task shouldnt multi task i guess is not a fact it just makes more sense.
Multi-tasking is the act of carrying out two or more actions at once. The fact that prolonged use of subtitles can take away the ability to notice small things isn't because someone is bad at multi-tasking.

Quote:
if someone cant read and pay attention to moving pictures at same time then doing 1 at a time is better it doesnt even matter if its in english or japanese as long as they understand, thats my opinion at least.
It doesn't mean they "fail at life".

Quote:
I always thought english was more american than japanese. So changing something from something less to something greater would mean making it more like the greater. But that also is my opinion again.
No, English is more English than American, but that's just me getting technical. Anime these days rarely "Americanise", and if they do it's more likely to to the fact that the anime has aged and it'ss cultural reference don't make sense to the audience it's aimed at (Sgt. Frog is an example of this. However, you can always change the audio language. It's not impossible, it's as simple as pressing a button).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonediddly
How about Bebop, Trigun, Kenshin, Baccano, and Death Note?
Better, better, better, no idea, no idea.

I haven't watched the Japanese or English versions of the last two.

Besides, when dealing with "subs", you are literally talking about the quality of the textual translation. Are we going for literal translations, or translations that make sense? Are we looking at translations that use the words' true meanings, or translations that unessesarily change the feeling of the translated word for no reason (Damn it -> "♫♫♫♫" (More so seen in fansubs))?

Last edited by Oni; 01-22-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #85
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation

I suppose that word is Kuso? I've seen it happen like you said many times. Now, does Kuso mean to damn something to hell? My Japanese isn't the greatest. A lot of Japanese curses don't have a literal translation, and s*** and damn it have the same feeling, so is it really supposed to be damn it? or is it up to the translators preference. In which case both are right, so there isn't any discrepancy from fansub to dub etc. Just two levels of cursing, both have thing same intent. And honestly, I can't imagine Vegeta self censsoring.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #86
AyumuKagami

AyumuKagami is on a distinguished road

I like it when they are in subs, but sometimes the subs can be poorly done. I love the sound of japanese being spoken so it makes it all the better. Also i know a bunch of anime serieses i loved in Japanese and when they went to be dubed they had really bad voices and it threw off the whole experience for me.

AyumuKagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #87
toyNN
Fan

toyNN is on a distinguished road

I think I'd rather understand the Japanese! But I'll definitely give both the dub and sub a chance though always with preference to the sub since hearing the Japanese always seems to add to the overall experience of watching anime. Usually needs to be a superior dub or a lot of dialog for me to not watch in Japanese.

Anyone else watch Negima!? with subtitles? If you can keep up with all those translations and the action on the screen you won't ever have any problem with subs or you'll confirm your infinite hatred for them.

I'll add as far as a really good dub for me is FMP - one the few I think has a really superior English dub.

toyNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #88
Zodiac_Blader

Zodiac_Blader is meh

frankly it depends on the series, sometimes the dub can be really good (somecases it can be a bad series with the best dub ever) in other cases it can be a really terrible dub which you just have to watch subs (Elfen lied, Higurashi for example) so it's really something that for me is on a show by show basis.

My fandom born into games

Zodiac_Blader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #89
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation

The worst sub for keeping up with on screen text is SZS, it often has flash frames filled with text. you have to pause to read it, then continue. But you have to do the same for dubs if the reanimated the text to english anyways.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #90
Oni
Banhammer'd

It's horrible having the secondary subtitles on for Evangelion, because it also happens to have split-second frames that flash past the screen with text on it. If you pause at the wrong time, since they're soft-subs, sometimes your effort will be futile.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #91
Drago142222
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

Drago142222 is meh

it the anime wasnt butchered because of the dub then i would watch dubbed tho i perfer subbed because it helps me understand alittle bit of japanese

Drago142222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #92
kagra280

kagra280 is meh

I prefer subs because i am a very fast reader and i dont mind pausing to read a bit. Im fine wih dubs but most of the anime im interested in is only subbed. I read and listen to the voices at the same time to make it better .... if that makes any sense at all.

This is my way of doing it and im happy with it. A lot of people would disagree with my methods and i dont care. i just like mah anime

kagra280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #93
Sandgolem

Matoi Stalker

Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I generally like subs however some dubs can be very good. For me its a delicate balance, if the acting is too forced in the anime then I will be unable to stand it, or if I am more familiar with the sub voices then I will have to continue on that way.

Some examples of what I mean are: Bleach acting is too forced even though some of my favorite VA's appear in this series, the dialog and delivery is awkward and uncomfortable. (personally I blame the director for that)

but in other animes the dub can be prefered over the sub such as Fruit Basket, which had much much better casting for its characters then the Japanese version. Yuki in the Orginal J had a womans voice that was too feminie and Aya was a very deep manly voice not at all suited for his affeminate demienor.

other good dubs I have enjoy include FMA (both), DBZ, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star

Sandgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #94
Dist

Dist is meh

I personally prefer subs, but I don't have anything against dubs either, unless I have trouble hearing them. I was never a fan of the whole "Subs vs. Dubs". As long as I can understand what the show is about, I'll take either.

Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #95
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I was never a fan of the whole "Subs vs. Dubs". As long as I can understand what the show is about, I'll take either.
They speak the truth.
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #96
One-Way-Learning

One-Way-Learning is meh

Subs, most of the time. The reason being is because sometimes the dubs just sound out of place, or just plane done wrong.

One-Way-Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #97
Cyrus

Cyrus is meh

Everybody seems so fun >.<

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #98
microgamer2vs2
Fan

microgamer2vs2 is meh

I switch off. If a show has a good dub that's readily available (Funimation YouTube channel / Hulu), I'll watch it. I like being able to enjoy the animation as opposed to reading the subs and trying to enjoy the animation with the corner of my eye. Some dubs do too much localization, or just plain suck, so I opt out for subs then.

For example, I warched the first episode of xxxHolic dubbed first. Watanuki's voice just didn't seem right to me, so I tried the subs. The voices sounded more fitting for the characters. The repetition of words just sounds more natural in East Asian languages (mostly in reference to Maru & Moro, but Watanuki sometimes too). Additionally, they localized/adapted one of the parts where they were talking about multiple readings of Kanji, so I felt they took out some of the meaning in that part.

Good dubs I've watched:
-Baccano! - Story itself takes place in America, so English makes more sense for the series. The cast for the dub did very well with the various mob accents as well (the japanese dub may have had various accents too, but obviously it's easier for most Americans to distinguish between accents in English).
-Haruhi - The cast itself was pretty high-profile to begin with. They kept a lot of Japanese cultural references in as well, such as moe and the fact that Kyon refers to the girls by their last names. Moreover, these references don't sound out of place at all. My only nitpick is that "God Knows..." in English pales in comparison to Japanese.
-The rest of the good dubs I've watched: Any Miyazaki movie, FMA, Code Geass, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, Lucky Star, etc.

Avoid the Higurashi dub like the plague (When They Cry).

microgamer2vs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #99
Leviathan Mist

大好き.

Leviathan Mist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgamer2vs2 View Post
-Haruhi - The cast itself was pretty high-profile to begin with. They kept a lot of Japanese cultural references in as well, such as moe and the fact that Kyon refers to the girls by their last names. Moreover, these references don't sound out of place at all. My only nitpick is that "God Knows..." in English pales in comparison to Japanese.
I didn't like Yuki Nagato's dub. It's not that I think Michelle Ruff is a bad VA for the part, I just think she could've done it in a less robotic tone. As I've always said, Yuki is an alien, not a robot. There's a huge difference between Minori Chihara's original Japanese tone for the character, and the robotic voice Michelle Ruff did it in. Maybe I'm just nitpicking because I simply like Minori Chihara, but meh.

Leviathan Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #100
microgamer2vs2
Fan

microgamer2vs2 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan Mist View Post
I didn't like Yuki Nagato's dub. It's not that I think Michelle Ruff is a bad VA for the part, I just think she could've done it in a less robotic tone. As I've always said, Yuki is an alien, not a robot. There's a huge difference between Minori Chihara's original Japanese tone for the character, and the robotic voice Michelle Ruff did it in. Maybe I'm just nitpicking because I simply like Minori Chihara, but meh.
Yeah, I agree with your point. I watched the first season with English voices then watched the 2009 'rebroadcast' episodes and the web shorts with the Japanese voices. Going back to the English voices after that, Yuki's voice did seem particularly robotic, so it's definitely not a matter of fanboy-ism. Minori Chihara is indeed awesome though, after the fact of course.

microgamer2vs2 is offline   Reply With Quote