It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #21
Elc1247

DJ Elcu-desujya

Elc1247 is meh
Re: Do you buy your anime DVDs as boxsets or volumes?

The problem i find with individual DVD boxes is the fact that many times, you end up missing one or two volumes, which is further more annoying because of the higher prices you have to pay for just a single disk with only a few episodes on it.
I dunno... paying the standard oldschool $20USD for a single disk with 4 eps on it is REALLY pushing it, thats $5/episode, when you can pay $35 for the entire series of 24 eps, which gets to about $1.45 an episode, you get the same exact episodes, you may miss out on a few extras, but hey, instead of paying $120 for a 24 ep series, you pay $35, if a 70% discount isnt attractive... then you either crap gold bricks or dont know how to spot an amazing deal. Even if you get the single disks at $10 a pop, its still $60 for the series... as compared to some of the box set prices out there... its still not a great deal.

You know what would be amazing? if anime companies released SUBBED only versions of box sets, think about it. It cuts costs by very large amount due to the lack of any need to pay a junkload for the subbing work. I would jump on that in an instant. I almost NEVER pay attention to dubs, I think that anything made in any language should be kept that way, whether its anime or a sitcom or a movie. Japanese anime should be kept Japanese, Hollywood movies should be kept in English, Bollywood movies should be kept in Hindi, Mexican soaps should be kept in Spanish, etc. subtitles are for people that do not have the ability to understand the language (IE I cant fully understand Japanese... yet...), where it allows the watcher to still be somewhat immersed in the overall mood of the piece in question since the structure of the language is important and is nearly impossible to replicate in other languages with the same effect, or people who are hearing impaired.

Tokyo Bambi -The Pillows

Last edited by Elc1247; 04-29-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Elc1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elc1247 View Post
You know what would be amazing? if anime companies released SUBBED only versions of box sets, think about it.
Hey hey, have you been living under a rock? They've been doing that for a long while now. Are you familiar with Nozomi? (A company that often licenses anime and only translates them).

Last edited by Oni; 04-29-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

For me, it depends on the sale.
I prefer full on DVD sets like my Kurumi, Ikktousen and Zeta Gundam.
I'll admit it's obnoxious to get individuals, but condiering I spent $1 each on G Gundam, DVD 1, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12, its not all too bad.

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 AM   #24
Elc1247

DJ Elcu-desujya

Elc1247 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Hey hey, have you been living under a rock? They've been doing that for a long while now. Are you familiar with Nozomi? (A company that often licenses anime and only translates them).
no... being as i have very little money and rarely go out to actually buy anime. never heard of them, i need to get their stuff, if its cheap and sub only that is.

but yea, nice thing thats happening right now, Funimation is releasing the SAVE version of many of their series. thank goodness the prices are now affordable for boxsets.

but anyways, back on the subject, i find that box-sets are usually cheaper, and you save the hassle of finding all the different individual dvds. plus, you save on shelf space. with the fact that im prob gonna continually grow my collection of stuff... i can use that shelf space for even more stuff XD (im having trouble finding enough space on my shelves to put all my manga, anime and figures... they are literally all over my room now.) oh... and when im missing a particular part in any set... it bothers me... its like... its taunting me, saying "oh, you think you have the entire set hmm? NO, NO you dont, and im here to make it obvious that your collection is a jumbled mess!"

Tokyo Bambi -The Pillows

Last edited by Elc1247; 05-04-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #25
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

These new slim packs are a god send.

I'm saving a ton of space now that I don't have to keep collecting those cardboard boxes.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #26
Elc1247

DJ Elcu-desujya

Elc1247 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
These new slim packs are a god send.

I'm saving a ton of space now that I don't have to keep collecting those cardboard boxes.
i have a thin pack for Excel Saga, its nice, though most of the boxsets i buy now are in single boxes, multi-disk. i like having individual boxes for each dvd, but heck, you cant beat a good deal.

they should just get Blue-ray disks and put DVD quality episodes on them, so you can watch the ENTIRE series on ONE disk, imagine that. though i have to see how well that turns out if it does actually happen.

Tokyo Bambi -The Pillows

Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #27
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road

Boxsets for me. Mainly because when I try and go find a particular anime, I usually want the entire collection of that show, if possible. More often than not, single volumes are never all in one store and it's just a hassle. :rolleyes:

twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
Sandgolem

Matoi Stalker

Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Sandgolem is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I recently bought the first volume of BECK from Right Stuf! picked it up + the collectors art box + guitar pick & stickers = 8 dollars.

Then just gunna pick up the S.A.V.E. edition for 26 from same site. I'll have scored the full set, box, and the extra features that came with the individual DVD for around 32 bucks. Heck yeah!

Sandgolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #29
Elc1247

DJ Elcu-desujya

Elc1247 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgolem View Post
I recently bought the first volume of BECK from Right Stuf! picked it up + the collectors art box + guitar pick & stickers = 8 dollars.

Then just gunna pick up the S.A.V.E. edition for 26 from same site. I'll have scored the full set, box, and the extra features that came with the individual DVD for around 32 bucks. Heck yeah!
I got myself the BECK box set on Right Stuf, and it cost me a whopping $20 :p very good price if you ask me, its a thin box with 3 thin-pack boxes, 2 dvds each. not bad.

Tokyo Bambi -The Pillows

Last edited by Elc1247; 05-17-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #30
soundbreaker
Ask An Australian

soundbreaker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elc1247 View Post
I got myself the BECK box set on Right Stuf, and it cost me a whopping $20 :p very good price if you ask me, its a thin box with 3 thin-pack boxes, 2 dvds each. not bad.
Madman, the major Australian distributor of anime and manga, are selling the fatpack box set for $79.95 on their site. I think I'm getting ripped off.

soundbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #31
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreaker View Post
Madman, the major Australian distributor of anime and manga, are selling the fatpack box set for $79.95 on their site. I think I'm getting ripped off.
Tell me about it.
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #32
Lite

Rating: AWESOME!

Lite is on a distinguished road

I generally gets me Complete Series boxsets or the Series -- Part -- boxes they release (i.e. Soul Eater). Either way, I buys me anime :D

Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:39 AM   #33
sawall

sawall is meh

Box sets all the way, really would have no space at all if i just got volumes :-P

sawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #34
AshFangirlLisa
Biggest Ash fan ever

AshFangirlLisa is meh

Boxsets, because Pokemon is such a long-running series, it's difficult to collect all the seasons. So the best way to collect it, is to buy the boxsets. They're cheaper too. =)

Most volumes of Pokemon go for about $15 each. And usually, that's only for 5 or 6 episodes.

However, I find it weird that Viz (apparently) skipped seasons 3 and 4. Those seasons don't have boxsets yet, for some reason. And neither do seasons 7 and 8. =O

I even heard that the old Johto volumes for seasons 3 and 4 were discontinued. If that's true, it would explain the high prices that I'm seeing on Ebay...

AshFangirlLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #35
Dist

Dist is meh

There's really one series I bought, and that would be Higurashi, which I bought the complete boxset for.

Then again.. I did buy that one Solty Rei volume, tsk, tsk.

Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #36
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough

I personally prefer to buy mine in boxsets. I'm the kinda person who likes to marathon series, and I don't want to be left hungering for more at the end of what I have. Plus, I always found buying in 'bulk' to be a little bit more cozy for da wallet, especially when I buy series online...as the shipping can build up if I buy stuff seperately.

Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #37
Zaig
Fan

Zaig is meh

Most of mine are in boxsets since I tend to buy complete seasons and series over volumes.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Zaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #38
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

I also try to buy boxsets whenever available.

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #39
HanaElric

HanaElric is meh

Since I just really got into Anime about a year ago I don't have that many DVD's yet....I have the first Naruto box set but I am saving up for the second Bleach box set! But between that and saving for the convention I want to go to.....I'm glad the box sets are cheaper than individual DVD's
-HanaElric

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

HanaElric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #40
Jrockergirl
Fan

Jrockergirl is meh

I guess its a mix for me depending on how bad I want it or sales.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Blu-ray for 20 bucks a set I couldn't resist so i but them as sets and Durarara!! my fangirl side took over and so I got them separately for the special package.

with other series I can usually wait for a set as i did for Wild arms, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw star and Ranma so I can do both.
Jrockergirl is offline   Reply With Quote