91.8 The Fan

Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Shidohari
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Shidohari is meh
Re: How A Convention Can Turn Bad...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillÿ View Post
That one overweight guy or girl who should NOT be wearing that skimpy of a costume.

Just sayin'.
This post is seconded by one who has born witness to such horrors.

Just Sayin'
Shidohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
NobouMansu

NobouMansu is meh

Maybe this just bugs me because I'm old and jaded, but nothing kills a good panel/con for me like everyone running around yelling the same five internet memes for three days.

We've all been on the internet. We've all seen Family Guy and know about yelling "butt-scratcher", are privy to "the game", and know "what time it is" (adventure time)...

..After three days of hearing people scream these memes while I'm waiting in lines/trying to listen to a panel/ trying to sleep, I'm always ready to dropkick a psyduck.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ~`~`~`Everything is Ruined Forever~`~`~`~ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

NobouMansu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #23
Bobby Henshin

Fan

Bobby Henshin is meh

the con staff at one con i went too was run by a retarded Drill Sargent....yea

Bobby Henshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #24
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I hate listening to "The Game", it's not funny and no one cares. Everyone groans and rolls their eyes because it is so typical we've already heard it five times. Kindly and sincerely shut up.

My past few convention experiences did leave me kind of sour actually. I'm really sick and tired of people running by my equipment, Congo lining around it, jumping, smacking, tripping, etc. Yeah, I know what you're going to say, don't leave your equipment in the middle of the halls. How about when I'm sitting in my chair, have the tripod open between my feet with the camera on it, and I am holding it in place just so the line of people aren't about to kick it into oblivion because they want to swarm whoever is running the panel as soon as it's over.

My cameras might not look expensive, but one of them is close to two thousand dollars, and the day someone breaks it is the day I'm on the news. We've had people trip over charging cords off to the side and against the wall, breaking them and rendering them useless for the rest of the weekend as well as someone kicking around my Pelican case cause they think it's funny. The still camera in there worth more money than your costume is not yours, don't take it from me, don't harm it.

Yeah, I know everyone wants to have fun at a convention, and I do, too! I'm also there to work however, and I will not be amused to see something of mine smashed. :/

End rant.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
Siege

One Night in Paris...

Siege is meh

I've only been to one convention (Yes, it's terrible, I know), and the only downside I found is some of the people. Some people were just unwilling to have fun, or dampering on other's fun to have their own.

Siege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #26
Iroai

Iroai is meh

The only real complaint that I've had about conventions that I've attended in the past has to do with the convention goers. You know, the people who run around like crazed maniacs and are oblivious to everyone outside their little clique. I get it, it's a convention, but that doesn't give you an excuse to act like a ten year old child on a sugar high. Act normal or at least as normal as us otaku can be :)
Iroai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #27
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

When conventions are in hotels, its pertinent to be respectful of regular hotel guests and their staff. One year at a small Denver convention, there was a wedding party that was holding their reception in a ballroom in the middle of the convention hall. The poor bride and her mother were miserable thanks to con goers trying to sneak into their photos and crash their reception (or just being loud and intrusive outside their reception).
By the end of the evening, furries and animus were mingling with the wedding attendees and trying to hit on and dance with the bride. That was a sad day for our kind. It takes one group of rude and thoughtless con goers to ruin anyone's day. The general lack of respect, manners and social decorum in that instance boiled my blood.

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I've had a very similar experience at Anime Vegas 2011. There was a wedding reception going on where most people did their cosplay gatherings. People were loud and said rude things because there was a wedding going on in their spot. The bride and the guests did not take it sitting down either, and most of them made fun of the cosplayers.

It's their special day, you weren't invited, go away. Yelling about yaoi and buttsex while they exchange their vows is the most disrespectful thing I have ever seen.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh

Going to a convention when the hotel is on the otherside of town. Serioiusly Fort Wayne has most of its hotels on the other side of the city. The Hyatt is the only hotel near the area, and that is always booked, because its connected to the Grand Wayne Convention Center. My very first convention about four years ago was a very interesting one, because we had to get a hotel on the other side of the city. So we naturally had to use a taxi, since none of us could drive. My dad drove me, and three of my friends up there, while my friend's parents were to pick us up on the last day of the con.So What went wrong? Well, I had given most of the cab fare for the first two days, but on the evening of the Saturday of Ikasucon 08. My buddy said he needed money for cab fare, while we were at the Taco Bell across the street I gave him the six dollars needed for cab fare. They stay at the hentai panel, and since I was underage I sit out in the hall reading Hunter X Hunter, and eating Pocky in my Urahara cosplay. Interestingly enough... they come out of the panel expecting me to pay the cab bill. I had remembered that two of my friends (one who had the money I lent him) say he had no money, but earlier he had came out of the dealer's room with Inuyasha caps, and metal knife claw things. (They looked like metal Bugles) I ignored that till he cried after we called the Cab, that he had no money. That it was my fault, and not his. He desparatly called his mom, because he was a mommy's boy, and that is when stuff started to well...The two genius's decided to just walk to the hotel, and of course my other friend didn't want to. I had luckily been watching outside, and thought i could navigate us back using the main roads up to the hotel. Interestingly enough it was my first time in Ft. Wayne City (Downtown), but I had gone there before, because there is a good zoo up there. I somehow manage to navigate us back, but we were thirsty. Unfortunatly, Ft. Wayne has lock up rules that certain business's be closed at a certain time in the morning. We were walking through downtown Ft. Wayne in the middle of the night around 1:00 with cosplay gear in position. We walked by a neighborhood that had a lot of cop cars. I can only image that there was some type of drug bust, and fortunatlly didn't bother with some lost nerds. We finally got asked by a cop down near the freeway, and we luckily were almost homebound (or hotelbound). One of my friends, the one who was not one of the idiots who started this mess as soon as we were in reach of the hotel he fled. This is when the story gets even weirder. We go into IHOP and get free water, while one of my friends leaves a sword (fake LARP sword made by another of our friends) in front of the IHOP, and we all have a bit a change, and head across to the Marathon. The other idiot, not the one who started this, but his cohort non-the-less gets alot of drinks, and I wonder why? He pulls out a magic 20 Dollar Bill and says it was for emergency use only.

nerdwerld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
Satsu Renkai

Satsu Renkai is meh

Guys crossplaying as girl with minimal clothing.

I can never look at Misty from the original pokemon the same way ever again.

Seriously guys, nobody wants to see your hairy thighs. No one.

Satsu Renkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

A con providing its own, in-house security. Yeah, I know you want a friendly, welcoming environment for your attendees, but professionalism goes a long way. Crowd control is both an art AND a science, and loss prevention is a thankless job under any circumstances. At least give us attendees the benefit of people who are trained for the job they're expected to do.

Last edited by moonhawk81; 01-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #32
NobouMansu

NobouMansu is meh

While we're all ranting...

Cosplayers: Stop taking yourselves and your groups so seriously.

I know you all work very hard on your costumes and this is your moment to walk around in them, take pictures, and enjoy the fruits of your labors, but if you're going to find something EVERY SINGLE CON to cause drama over, I'm going to stop hanging out with you. The exception to all this being if someone ruins or destroys something you've made.

Maybe this revolves more around my cosplayer friends than anything else, but every time I go to a con with a "group" of cosplayers there is always drama that stresses everyone out. From the "make this for me last minute" to the "My (part of outfit) broke! My weekend is ruined!" to the "____ said her cosplay is better than mine! She doesn't even have the right shade of pink!"

::Sigh::

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ~`~`~`Everything is Ruined Forever~`~`~`~ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

NobouMansu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #33
Aniki

Aniki is on a distinguished road

Hm. As a con organizer, it's definitely good to hear some criticism, at least of the constructive variety. On my con's forums I'm known for listening to what our attendees have to say (and doing something about it). Even though this thread was created for fun, I'm definitely taking note of some of the info here.

Thanks all!
Aniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #34
loyalmoonie

loyalmoonie is meh
Exclamation Re: How A Convention Can Turn Bad...?

To me, the only thing I think can go wrong at a convention is if you meet up with a person who causes you a lot of trouble online, and he/she does the same to you at the convention...

Although that has never happened to me before, however, I try to avoid those situations... :|

Last edited by loyalmoonie; 10-01-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added footnote
loyalmoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

As one who has only recently returned to the con scene...and I picked a hellish summer to do so, I can say that HOT weather + cosplay do not make for happy people...coplayers nor convention goers.

Nothing worse than walking into a hotel lobby and the stench of sweaty people stomping a mudhole into your nose.

I know hotels have A/C but this year the heat was so bad, most of the people who walking in from their parking spots were dripping in sweat by the time they got to the lobby area. Hell, I was sweating a bit and I didn't even have any cosplay stuff on.

Not sure how you can avoid this other than to cosplay as Sub-zero, Shredder or other masked character and actually put a air filtering device in the mask! LOL

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #36
Cheflelouch
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Cheflelouch is meh

I was checking a few comments of people that go to cons in other forms I pass and one of the most discuss ones was
the host of a panel ends getting kick out of the con for bad behavior and the panel end cancel at the last minute and if it was a big panel people get pretty mad

Proud to be MEXICAN

Cheflelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheflelouch View Post
I was checking a few comments of people that go to cons in other forms I pass and one of the most discuss ones was
the host of a panel ends getting kick out of the con for bad behavior and the panel end cancel at the last minute and if it was a big panel people get pretty mad
Well, if he was misbehaving then that's his own fault and not the conventions. If someone doesn't follow convention rules, well... good riddance.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #38
Cheflelouch

Cheflelouch is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
Well, if he was misbehaving then that's his own fault and not the conventions. If someone doesn't follow convention rules, well... good riddance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDlFtg0ljDc&feature=plcp

well panels can also be canceled for many reasons but for the one of the video there were a lot of people mad about him getting kick out of con

Proud to be MEXICAN

Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #39
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheflelouch View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDlFtg0ljDc&feature=plcp

well panels can also be canceled for many reasons but for the one of the video there were a lot of people mad about him getting kick out of con
Yeah, I saw this. The guy was being complete indecent to people, crashed other panels, and so on. I see no reason for him NOT to get thrown out.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #40
Cheflelouch

Cheflelouch is meh

well this goes with the Topic "How A convention can turn Bad"

A few years a go I went to a con were I saw A guy like Nathan Barnatt and For people that wanna have good time get interrupted and disturbed It was good that this guy was kick out of con

Proud to be MEXICAN