You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough
Best/Worse Horror Movies

So, as the title states, list some of your opinions on the best and worse horror movies of all time. I'm a horror junkie, so, I know there has to be people here that enjoy it as well.

The Gems

1) The Shining - My actual #1 movie of all time, regardless of genre. Although the movie and novel are two seperate things, I really did love Kubrick's ... adaptation. Great psychological story, although some might find it slow...as some key elements of the story are left out of the movie...but it is still entertaining.

2) Audition - A great Japanese Horror flick (As most are...as we all know Japanese Horror is supreme). Man loses wife. Man holds audition to meet new wife. New wife is psycho. I don't wanna spoil anymore. Probably the most horrifying movie I have ever seen.

3) Psycho - Slightly cliche' , but there is no denying the genius of Psycho. Hitchcock was brilliant, and I believe Psycho to be one of his best works. It saddens me that back then, stories could be based off of real serial killers and not suck, but everytime they try today, they are epic piles of failure along with the rest of most modern 'horror.'

The Crap Pile

1) White Noise - Just don't even watch it...it is about the noise the TV makes when there is no channel...minus the polgergeists...so ugh.

2) Leprechaun - No, no, no. They aren't scary...I could make lists in the thousands of crap like this.

3) Slugs - No joke. I could probably just include every horror movie based off of an animal aside from the Birds...

So, give me some of your guys favorites and most hateds! I love to talk horror

Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
Re: Best/Worse Horror Movies

Personally, I find all horror movies distasteful.

I mean... whats a good example...

Ok there was a time when "the Grudge" came to theaters. Friends and I went to go see it. In the scenes where people get "killed" or something of that nature. I laughed my butt off.
I mean, It was incredibly awkward but I couldn't help it.
I have no taste for horror or I'm just horrible demented, like the Joker.

I understand people watch them for the thrill/adrenaline rush, but I prefer action movies for that.
The only kind of "thriller" movies I hold close to my heart are Zombie flicks.
Dawn of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
etc
etc

But thats just me, if anything, horror films of the black and white films where creepier, It could be because slasher/killer films are just so... stale...

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Zehutsumei
Fan

Zehutsumei is meh

The best horror movie in my opinion would have to be Uzumaki. It's one of the few movies that left me uneasy. The worst I've seen has to be Killer Rats... Oh God...

Zehutsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
grimdefeat

Fan

grimdefeat is on a distinguished road

im not really one for horror movies but i do enjoy werewolve movies like cursed, dog soldiers, and stuff like that

i also like the spoof movies like scary movie, i know what you did last summer vacation. Just those movies that completley screw over all horror movies

the worst scary movie i saw had to be killer clowns from outer space.

grimdefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
zaburai

zaburai is on a distinguished road

My fav horror movie is John Carpenters "The Thing", pretty much everything in this spiritual sequel is perfect...except for the sequel...that is a PC game...

The worst one I have seen is Autopsy, take everything good you have seen in any movie and remove them, that is this movie.

zaburai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

The worst horror movie ever is the monster movie, Pterodactyl starring Coolio, hands down; no competition.

I don't do really "favorites" lists in general, but if I had to pick one, I've always been a big fan of Shadow of a Doubt.
Tyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Camajak
Fan

Camajak is on a distinguished road

Quarantine made me laugh so hard. That one's bad.
And I personally stopped watched House of Wax 90% of the way through it. So disturbing... I never re-watched it. XD I have mixed opinions on that one

But I still have a soft spot for the Grudge series. I still haven't seen the last one.
The plot for the Saw series I absolutely love, but for some reason the good ones (in my opinion) are the odd-numbered ones O.o And ever since Jigsaw died it just went downhill with the psychotic deaths... They don't even have a point anymore >.<
I adore The Strangers. It's creepily realistic, like, if people were that crazy and smart enough, it could happen. So scary, so well-made.
Penny Dreadful is AMAZING. It was an independent film, and oh my gosh, you would have thought it was made by a huge film company XD

That's it for me. I barely like watching movies as is >.>

Camajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Jubilee

Très Bien!

I haven't seen this yet...but I saw the preview earlier so...it is getting added to my list of crap automatically.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464154/

I repeat,

Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
hounddog

91.8 Staff

hounddog is meh

I'm not a huge fan of the horror genre, because I scare easily. But I have watched a TON of horror, because I used to live with people who lovvvvved it. The low-budget ridiculous ones are my favorites.

Mostly, though...horror + me ends badly. Like I watched IT when I was in high school and it STILL gives me the creeps. And just yesterday, mr. hounddog made me watch The Hills Have Eyes. Guys, the hound had nightmares. :(

91.8: The HoundBlog...sugar and spice and everything awesome!

Episode 8: “Meow! Let’s break into Kanemasa and wage war MEOW!”

hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
chefofdeath
Fan

chefofdeath is meh

you guys got to check out deathsbell .... someone is killing all the smart kids with traps and making them use their brains to sole puzzles before someone dies its great has a saw touch to it but with so much more ..... the opening will get you guessing what the heck that was heh

chefofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
Cerulaine

Fluttershy

Cerulaine is meh

Alright this is my kind of thread x3

So The Descent is an amazing horror movie, I absolutely love it and if you watch the trailer please don't, it doesn't give it the credit it deserves so just watch it instead, if you watch the second movie it isn't as good as the first one but that's just me.

Cerulaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road

Okay, I like to break my horror movies down into sections. I usually watch zombie flicks, Japanese horror films (Imagine that, haha) and I really love psychotic horror movies that mess with your mind and are very thought provoking, as opposed to just throwing buckets of blood at you. I will list some ones that I like for this post; we have all seen bad ones and they are just not worth mentioning to me. You can tell when a movie is bad 5 minutes into it and then they should remain hidden from your memory after that point.

I likes my zombies movies, I prefer the well made ones, but sometimes silly ones are okay, too. Some Zombie flicks I like are -

Dawn of the Dead (I prefer the newer one, but that's just me)
28 Days/28 Weeks Later (Simply fantastic)
Resident Evil (Not really scary nor do they have much correlation with the games, but they are still entertaining to me)
Boy Eats Girl (Comedy zombie flick, worth a watch, but not very scary)

I also likes my Japanese horror films. I haven't seen much, but for me, the Japanese can scare me way better than American horror.

Ju-on and Ju-on 2 (...what we know as the Grudge)
Ringu and Ringu 2 (...what we know as the Ring)

Some movies that have just messed with my head...

The Strangers (Enough said)
Cry Wolf (Not so much a horror as it is a suspense, but man...)
Hannibal (All of them, especially Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon)

Okay, last but not least I'm gonna throw in a film that is part of a genre I do not usually partake in. This movie was so well made and is so incredible it really deserves to be on my list. It's a vampire flick.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Watch it. The best representation of Dracula I have seen since Nosferatu...made in the 40's! Lol.)

Last edited by twillÿ; 08-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.
twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #13
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillÿ View Post
Bram Stoker's Dracula (Watch it. The best representation of Dracula I have seen since Nosferatu...made in the 40's! Lol.)
Nosferatu is amazing! The camera angles are sheer genius. The fact that they could give me goosebumps in the scene when he emerges from the dark bridge arc is just amazing! Did I mention that movie is incredible?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
bemused_Bohemian

Fanatic

bemused_Bohemian is meh

Worst: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. An Idaho radio station used this screwball film as a fund raiser several yeras ago. You got in free at the movie house. If you left early you paid $10, if you stayed longer the rate went down. This movie was so bad most people emptied out within the first hour. That was 20+ years ago. Come to think of it that movie sucked so badly I have yet to suffer through all of its buffoonery ...still don't know how it ended, nor care!

Best: don't know, not into horror flicks.
bemused_Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Cerulaine

Fluttershy

Cerulaine is meh

Doghouse, horrible movie, I can't consider it horror and you can't tell what any of them are saying because their accents are so thick. XD

But it's good to watch if you want to laugh.

Cerulaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #16
Eifos

Eifos is meh

i love horror movies, but i never really watched any all to good horror movies, but i have a long list of horror movies i need to watch.. and it just got longer..
Eifos is offline   Reply With Quote