You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation
Gaining/Losing Weight!

We're all anime fans here. That means the majority of us are probably out of shape, statistically...

I've been losing weight since before Christmas, so I figure I should share what's been working with me, and other people can share what's been working with them for gain/loss.

It started for me with not eating anything bad over the holidays. I just made a conscious effort to not eat any christmas baking or junk over the holidays. I cheated a couple times after Christmas to try one of everything, but for me I find cheating at that point was ok because cheating once or twice is better then not trying at all.

During the hols I found the reddit community /loseit/ and one of the things they were talking about was a website called myfitnesspal. The next day I went to a diabetic dietician(I'm high risk) he mentioned the same site, so I joined it and it has been the biggest tool for me to lose weight. Anyone who needs to lose weight should be using this site. www.myfitnesspal.com

The thing about myfitnesspal is it just makes tracking your calories really easy. You type in what you eat and how much and it tells you how many calories you've eaten, and based on what you set it to do, how many calories you should be eating a day.

I haven't changed much of what I was eating besides getting rid of a lot of junk, and even then, on some days I have junk and as long as I limit myself with other stuff during the day, or even over the week it makes up for it.

I'm making sure to get a lot of protein to try and ensure the loss is fat and not muscle, and I don't feel any weaker so I'd say it works.

So far I'm down about 42 pounds, but I got a long ways to go yet.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
Re: Gaining/Losing Weight!

I recommend trying the new "Naked" drinks. Each one is filled with various kinds of fruits and vegetables. It's like a V8, only not limited to just being a vegetable juice.
Be warned, they can be a bit pricey and your required to keep it in cool temperatures.

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Elk

Mark from Canada

I actually just watched fat sick and nearly dead, and might try juicing. It's what Tim Schafer is doing, or was, I dunno if he's still doing it.

You lose weight REALLY quick juicing, but I'm already losing fairly quickly so I'm not sure if I'll need it (or if I can even stomach it since I don't eat vegetables.)

Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Lots of water. So much water. Smaller portions. DDR as exercise.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

Juicing can be pretty expensive, since you want to spend the extra expense and purchase high quality fruits and vegetables

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

I've found my own weight loss trick, which I do NOT recommend to anyone sane enough to avoid it. My schedule changed at the PD, necessitating a schedule change at my second job. Consequently, I'm currently working 18-hour days. This leaves me no time for cooking--which I dearly love!--and I have been relying on store-bought packaged dinners. Between 10-hour stretches of solid walking-around and a much lower calorie intake, I'm losing my glorious eggplant shape. . .

*i miss butter!!! i miss butter sooooooooooooo much!

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Kayarath

The Biggest Troll on the website

Kayarath is on a distinguished road

Am I the only person on staff who actually eats fruits and vegetables?
Kayarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
Cheflelouch
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Cheflelouch is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayarath View Post
Am I the only person on staff who actually eats fruits and vegetables?
Since I'm not in staff I will have to say yea
I tend to eat more veggies since my mom has been on a diet for over a year and fruits are always at the house because my gramps brings new every week, so in a matter of speak in my house most of the food is healthy... But out side is a different story

Proud to be MEXICAN

Cheflelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

I've eliminated daily consumption of any type of soda. I dropped at least 20 lbs that way over 6 months or so. I actually can't stand the taste of any soda now (sometimes Diet Dr. Pepper, if I my wife and I go out to dinner somewhere). The diet sodas are even worse than regular soda because of the way it affects your metabolism from what I've read.

@Kay, I eat more fruits than vegetables. Spring and summer always gets me into the more healthy foods cuz there are less excuses to NOT go out and get fresh foods. Eyeing some baby carrots atm XD

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I can't do diet soda, I have to have soda like once every other day. If you're drinking enough water it's like you can filter it out.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
Cheflelouch
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Cheflelouch is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiMaki View Post
The diet sodas are even worse than regular soda because of the way it affects your metabolism from what I've read.
maki if I remember something from my nutrition class is that diet sodas have half amount of sugars and calories as regular drinks thats why are diet but they also have other ingredients and for most people those ingredients affect the foods people eat every day and that causes side effects, one of the most common "diarrhea"

Proud to be MEXICAN

Cheflelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
Elk

Mark from Canada

So, I've been moving a little slowly. Since my original post I've only lost about another 18 or so pounds. I've hit a few plateaus, and hovered back and forth in a 5 pound range for a while. But I'm getting back on track.

I think the main thing is I haven't been tracking my calories for over a month. I've still been on a decline in weight, but not accurately tracking what I been eating and instead estimating has probably contributed to my plateaus.

So I'm going to start counting calories more seriously again. Not only does it help you keep track but it'll probably assist me in making conscious plans for what I'll be eating instead of spontaneous eating, which usually leads to a reduction (however slight) in intake.

Besides diet I've been walking Chico more often, though I still need to make it a daily thing, and upping the amount of time the walk takes. I probably should be exercising more, but right now I don't have the wherewithal to focus on adding to that routine.

do u even lift bro? needs to be made a question I can use an affirmative answer for!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
Elk

Mark from Canada

Ok. I'm ignoring the double post rule because this is 3 years old now lol.

So. The weight loss. It kept going for another few months. Then it came back over the next 2 and a half years. All of it.

What I did worked, and I could do the exact same thing, and not get lax and it'd work just as well. Instead, I'm trying something different.

I'm still using myfitnesspal.com (well, using it again. The main issue is I DID eventually stop.) but I'm doing the keto diet. Basically it's VERY low carb, maintenance levals of protein, and the rest is all fat. The whole low fat craze didn't make sense scientifically. The whole basis of fat being terrible for you started with force feeding starving rabbits fat (rabbits of course being herbivores...) There is also the fact that carbs mixed with fat isn't that good. (carbs aren't that good at all, but the goodness of fats and protein can be countered by them.)

So now I'm drinking keto shakes (basically like soylent, but tailerd for the keto lifestyle), eating meat, cheese, and eggs, as well as things like dark chocolate, nuts, seeds, and Peanut Butter (natural, no sugar added).

It's awesome. The reason this diet is so awesome is because starving yourself of carbs tells your body to use fat as fuel. What this means is when you use up nutritional calories based on what you eat your body makes a smooth transition to using stored fat as fuel. This means no crashes, very little hunger, consistent levels of energy. So I eat abuot 20g of net carbs (subtracting fiber and some sugar alcohols/substitutes) 100-150g of protein, and whatever else in fat.

Because I'm running such a deficit (14-1700 calories) its more even in terms of protein and fat, if not more protein.

Following this, from April to now, I've lost about 45 pounds. Still have a long way to go, but I will get there.