You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh
Some sort of awkward introduction!

Tyto is entirely acceptable as a name for all practical purposes. The "Ty-" is pronounced Tue, like in Tuesday, the "-to" ought to be self-explanatory. That is all you're going to get for free, and besides, I rather like hiding behind various aliases: it has a certain air of mystery. (also a certain air of paranoid neurosis)

But enough about my name, I'm here for anime, as are the rest of you, I'd assume, so on to that subject! I'm mostly your typical anime/manga fan, so I suppose there's not actually too much to be said there. I'll read most anything for 3 to 5 chapters, and anything that doesn't outright annoy or bore me as far as 9 or 10 chapters. When I say most anything, I mean just about anything, regardless of art style, genre, design, etc... Although inevitably poor and/or inconsistent art design bothers me more than anything else. I can't even begin to list everything I've ever read, let alone be bothered to try and rank them by "favorites", so what I'll do is list what ongoing serializations I'm keeping up with:

Of course I keep up with the Big 3, whether it can be said I still "like" any of them at this point is debatable, but the Big 3 aside, the other titles I keep up with in the Weekly Shounen JUMP are Bakuman and Psyren. Keeping on the subject of JUMP I also read Bartender in Super JUMP; D.Gray-man, Embalming, ULTIMO, and Shiki in JUMP SQ; Liar Game, Zetman, and Gantz in Weekly Young JUMP. Business JUMP seriously needs a team of scanners and translators, because I refuse to believe that Battle Angel Alita and One Outs could have been the ONLY good titles they've ever had.

Next big title would probably be Fairy Tail in Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine, which leads me to Monster Hunter Orage and Buster Keel in Kodansha's Monthly Rival; Billy Bat, Vagabond, and Hataraki Man in Weekly Morning. Vinland Saga and Mysterious Girlfriend X in Afternoon; and sadly I read nothing out of Kodansha's Evening

Soul Eater and Full Metal Alchemist in the Monthly Shounen Gangan; Jackals and Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to, in Young Gangan; Yandere Kanojo, Prunus Girl, and Seto no Hanayome in Gangan Joker.

Deadman Wonderland and Guyver, in Shounen Ace, and MPD Psycho which I believe is now running in Young Ace.

Franken Fran and Change 123 in Gahosha's Champion Red; No Bra and Gamble Fish in the Weekly Champion; Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer in Young King OURS; and AIKI in Gekkan Young King which seriously needs a scanner on because some of those untouched titles look like they'd be a good read.

I swear this list seemed smaller, not to mention much more organized, in my head...

Anyhow, anime and manga aside, I'm a little bit of a relapsing tokusatsu fan: I've been slowly revisiting all I've missed around the start of the Heisei era. W is proving interesting, although a bit wonky and inconsistent in its mood.

I suppose it's worth mentioning I like JRPGs, although I can't say I play as many or as often as I used to when I was younger. I suppose the last things I played were Nostalgia for the DS, Pokemon Heart Gold, Suikoden: Tier Kreis, and Shinmegami Tensei: Devil Summoner for the PS2. Looking forward to 3D Dot Game Heroes on the PS3 later this month and finally getting a hold of Monster Rancher DS after being denied Monster Farm DS and made to wait for MF2 for 2 years. I'm still incredibly miffed about there being absolutely no international release plans for Monster Farm Online.

I guess the only thing else I have left to say is that I'm sort of a Bleach conspiracy theorist... You can go ahead and interpret that however you like, because I won't explain it.

And so ends my needlessly cluttered looking introduction! Hooray! The awkward, public, digital, self-prostration ritual is compete!
Tyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
Re: Some sort of awkward introduction!

Thats a log intro! It's nice to get to know you even though we are just meeting!
Welcome to the forums!

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:39 AM   #3
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

Thank you and hello! I swear I don't ramble like that all the time.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of

Longest Intro EVER.

I LIKE IT!

Welcome to 918, everything you want. Nothing you don't ^^
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

Bleach has something to hide.... I might be poking you at a later date for that conspiracy theory of yours. I'm all too curious. Anyway, there is a lot to be said about someone who is so dedicated to following the manga magazines, so kudos to you.

All that aside, welcome and I hope you enjoy it here!

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

You know me, Molly. :wink:
Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Rish

Rish is meh

Allo! Welcome to the never-ending party of 91.8. ^^

Rish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough

Your intro blew mine out of the water @.@
Great Intro! :biggrin:

I think you'll have a great time here! Looking forward to having you around ^_^
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Aniki

Aniki is on a distinguished road

Ooo... another Chicagoan. Welcome to the forums, and since it is practically my duty to ask, will you be at ACen next week? Pretty sure Molly said she'd be there. I always enjoy meeting new people!
Aniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Welcome to the site, if you have any questions then just ask!

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

Sadly, Aniki, I will not be at ACen this year. Maybe next year.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
ZshadowX
Fan

ZshadowX is meh

I stop reading somewhere in the middle, longest intro Evar! :P
Welcome to the site^^

ZshadowX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
hounddog

91.8 Staff

hounddog is meh

Welcome!

I've been wondering about Bartender...is it similar to the series (episodic, 1 story per ep) or is there more of an over-arching theme? Do you get to know the Bartender himself at all?
hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

Bartender's manga goes over a couple of the same general events of the anime, but without the episodic plots and with a single linear plot in its place: it ties most of the characters together into one big chain of acquaintances. The big difference is that in the manga Sasakura Ryuu does not have a bar in Japan, his own personal bar is in Paris, and he's just visiting Japan for the time being, so all events take place in other bars or miscellaneous locations. It also makes a point of focusing much more on the characters themselves as opposed to just the events of the bar itself, obviously given that there is no single bar like in the anime. This is in part because while the anime makes heavy use of a 3rd party narrator's voice, the manga distinctly lacks that, so naturally by having all the story take place through dialogue between characters rather than dictated through narrative, it gives off a much more personal feel to all the characters. The manga takes a much more slice-of-life approach to the story telling.

Reading the manga with the Bartender anime OST and rainymood.com running in the background has been my preferred atmosphere and makes for a fun experience.