Welcome, Guest
It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Con-Nichiwa 2011

For those of you under a rock I was recently invited to this convention as a guest. I've just come back from my trip, and I'll admit happily that it was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

At this point I can say confidentially I've attended (or been ground control) for about twenty to thirty conventions. So to say I've had experience with having a booth, conversing with fans (both good and bad), running panels, working at maid cafes (or other events), etc would be a given. Every convention is different and has aspects that are great, and ones that aren't as such.

Visiting Con-Nichiwa I wasn't sure what I was expecting, I believe it's a bit routine to make sure to be energetic, interact with attendees, and hope for the best. I have a mentality that during a convention something will go wrong. I'm usually right, and I was with this convention, but none of it was the convention's fault. The first day before setting up the radio was having some problems, and since I wasn't home it wasn't something I could really check up on. I had to... painfully instruct my mom how to turn on and off the computer, check wires, reset the router, etc. Once the radio had dropped it was good to get the bad stuff outta the way.

Onto the next portion, the convention staff were very friendly and nice. They always attended to my needs, helped me with moving equipment that is essentially just too big to carry myself, watch my booth if I needed to excuse myself, etc. They were willing at all times to make sure I was okay, and that kindness goes a long way.

I've been to a few conventions where we've been given the title of guest, but we've been treated as if we're not welcomed. It's hard to explain without sounding conceited, but when we go to a convention that provides us with food and tells us we can't eat said food... it gives off a very clear feeling of not being "important enough".

Con-Nichiwa however made sure I ate, which is something I forget to do commonly at a convention (I usually go on adrenaline, haha). They kept me updated and vice versa, it was very easy to communicate with them and staff was easy to find at all times.

I think something that surprised me the most was when I was getting ready for my Anime Music Trivia panel and I had someone come get me to get to said panel. It's very rare that you have anyone help you set up, that things are running as smoothly for the staff to make sure each and every panel is going on, etc. It was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

The fans were also very nice as well. Usually I'm accustomed to the weird ones, the smelly ones, or the very... creepy ones. However, many fans just wanted to party and seemed to enjoy themselves. There was little room for awkwardness or anything like that. I was very happy to meet as many people as I did, and I was excited that a few fans knew about 91.8 The Fan. I printed out 600 flyers and was outta them by day two. So fan reaction was very positive!

I did cause a small security hazard by playing too much awesome music, and so many people were dancing it became somewhat troublesome. Sorry about that!

I felt the whole convention was run well. For the size of the con it was a good location, and from what I understood there were no major problems. I would have to say that if you are in Arizona, Utah, California, Nevada, etc then this is a convention worth driving to. It's relaxed, it's fun, it's a bit more personal, and overall well run.

I hope I can attend next year and see a lot more of you guys as well. I absolutely loved my time.

Also, oh crap, long post is long.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
Re: Con-Nichiwa 2011

-pokes head out of rock-
Well now, it sounds like you've had some fun.
I would LIKE to attend next year but I would need a Mr Freeze costume....
-doesn't care for hot places-

Lol, feeding Kana like a bunneh o___o

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I did cause a small security hazard by playing too much awesome music, and so many people were dancing it became somewhat troublesome. Sorry about that!
How could you, Kana!? You should know better not to play too much awesome music!

*eyes shuffle* Good job!

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
How could you, Kana!? You should know better not to play too much awesome music!

*eyes shuffle* Good job!
Haha, well it seems like reaction has been positive so far and it's only been a day. I've been skimming the Feedback thread, which I always try to do and took some quotes that made me happy from it. You can find the full thread here: http://www.forum.con-nichiwa.com/vie...php?f=25&t=940

"... and The dealers hall seemed more efficient tis year and the Radio Station playing nice music was a great touch!"

"As for staff, everyone for the most part was very nice and understanding, although a few times the group I was with got confused over why we couldn't dance in the dealers room after we'd been doing it for like... 2 hours"

"Hmm... well I can see that, I'm not going SDFMDSKFNDSFJ OMG BAWWW WE COULDN'T DANCE, it just confused the group I was with that we were un-interrupted for that good amount of time.

I have to say, dancing was indeed fun at this con; we even taught a few cosplayers how to effectively Caramelldansen."

I would like to state myself, I understand completely why dancing was a big no-no once I was told. The instinct is to dance to music if it has a good beat, but I was right by the door and there were times where the crowd was getting bigger (or people couldn't leave or enter). I completely understand and apologize again; however, I will admit that the dancing was worth it.

I got some great photos of it, which should be up later. It does make sort of sad I didn't have a video camera, but next time!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you had a great time! (Now quit making fun of my rock...)

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Where did you set up shop? (Aka, where they all started dancing)

Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
Where did you set up shop? (Aka, where they all started dancing)
I was the first booth you saw when you entered the dealer's hall. So I was right next to the door so naturally a big crowd there made it hard for people to get by. When the gallery goes live on Thursday (assuming Kibs takes care of it while I leave for WonderCon) you should be able to see where I was.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

Aw. I think it would of been allowed if you weren't near the door. Still, people enjoyed themselves as they were dancing to the awesome music. Hopefully, we'll see some people from there joining the site. =D

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I was the first booth you saw when you entered the dealer's hall. So I was right next to the door so naturally a big crowd there made it hard for people to get by. When the gallery goes live on Thursday (assuming Kibs takes care of it while I leave for WonderCon) you should be able to see where I was.
Kana causing a Fire Hazard!