You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!!!!! NOW IN 3D!!!!! Updated Jul 27th, 2010

Well now that I've gotten that out of my system....

Anyone who actually pays attention to me will know lately I've been all over YuGiOh 5D's.
Now, I've seen the first 35 episodes in Japanese and after all 35 episodes I... brace yourself.... find it MUCH more entertaining then the original series.

Pros and Khans:
-MINOR SPOILERS-
Khans (Because it's easier)
- Just about every duel, Yusei will always start with Speed Warrior (2 Star, 900 ATK that doubles it's ATK the turn it was summoned), which is prone for instant death once the turn is over.
- The Speed Duel (Card Games on Motorcycles), is confusing to boot, considering they barley explain the rules.
- Just like the original series, they're introducing a lot of main characters that I have trouble remembering, although unlike the original series, they're presence can affect the story line more then once.
- Purple Haired Midget, I have no idea what his name is, nor do I care, I hate him with a passion, he's a terrible character and his creator should feel bad. I want to jump up and down on him like Mario jumps on Goombas.
- Seems like everything is settled by a duel, where as in the original series, they used guns (Or in the American version's case, pointing fingers). But everything is settled in a duel, even with law enforcement. In the rules of a Speed Duel, the loser's bike busts on him and shuts down. This guy could rape, murder and steal, yet if HE wins a speed duel, he gets away. WHO DESIGNED THESE THINGS????
- Motorcycles tend to look silly.

Pros:
- The Speed Duel, the name speaks for itself, it's fast paced and more strategic compared to a normal duel, where if they draw it, you know your effed. However in a Speed duel, your field is reduced from 5 Monster and Spell/Trap Zones, to three each. Each turn a player is awarded a "Speed Counter", how many speed counters you have decides what spell you can or cannot play. So it's mostly just Monster brawling and Traps (I love dem Traps). Taking direct damage can cause you to lose counters.
- It appears to be darker then the original series, there is a lot more pain and suffering in this series then it's preprocessors, Yusei takes a beating far worse then Jaden or Yugi. He's been shoved through purple fire, he's had lasers burn into his skin (his facial mark, the sign of a criminal in New Domino city), he's had a chunk of metal lodged in his stomach, he's taken a beating by police security.
- The story line improves over time, over the course of the series, events unfold, where as it was always, one simple task in Yugioh, 50-ish episodes of "Beat up Pegasus", another 50 episodes of "defeat Marik", another 50 of "beat the Aquaman guy" and another 50 of "WTFs my name". 5D's has twists and turns around every corner, once you think they have everything figured out. HELLO something different just happened.

Sadly the final Pro isn't all that impressive, being a gamer also, I know that people are afraid to try new things despite they're desperate cry for something new, they love the repetitiveness....

Now, compared to the English one, the thing I noticed the American version tried to slip in here, was the "Shadow Game" cliche. Now, anyone who's seen the original series know that [spoiler]in the tag duel between Lumis and Umbra and Yugi and Kaiba, the loser fell to his death, in the English version, underneath that sheet of glass was a portal to the Shadow Realm, despite Lumis shooting passed the "portal to the Shadow Realm" by a good 8 stories.[/spoiler] YuGiOh 5D's anime tried to turn the duels (In which Solid Vision, the technology of the duel disk) into physical duels, so if you take a direct hit from something with a sword, prepare to be gutted, where as in the English version, if you lose your lose yourself to the Shadows. The English version never did the original series any justice (few exceptions), and it's no better for the 5D's, it might also not help that Yusei is played by Frank Frankson and Jack is played by Ted Lewis, I feel like Tristan and Bakura (respectively) became the main characters. Akiza is played by a woman named Bella Hudson who doesn't seem to have any other experiences, she would've been great for the part..... if she didn't sound like she was incapable of changing emotions. In the english version, it's incredibly difficult to tell when shes mad, upset, happy or just spaced out, she sounds the SAME.

Well thats all I have to say, anyone else's thoughts?

EDIT: Just incase anyone wants to know the new YuGiOh Movie: "Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie: Super Fusion! Bonds that Transcend Time", will be released as "YuGiOh 3D: Bonds Beyond Time", a voiceless preview was revealed at Comic Con 2010, stating at the end of the teaser that another preview will be released at the World Championships this August. No released date for the film, it's planned to involve extra scenes to bypass the original's 50 minute length

Last edited by Zero Gravity; 07-26-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
ZshadowX
Fan

ZshadowX is meh
Re: CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!!!!!

I stopped watching YuGiOh 5D's on the first episode, srry didnt interest me :(

ZshadowX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Tommy Vercetti

Tommy Vercetti is meh

5Ds needs more Nurburgring, the oil slick at Castrol Corner, Collin Edwards, and the head of the Ducati team to be more exciting.

(WSBK fans might get this reference)
Tommy Vercetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
choum123

choum123 is meh

I watched it for a while. I stopped at about episode 100. I lost interest.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

choum123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

In the end it's still just a card game. Thus, I lost interest about 3/4 into the first series.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

I'll watch it when it's on. It entertains me that they can keep recycling the same old tired concept and make it even more inexplicably entertaining than before. 4kids: way to go naming those dragons. Star-Dust Dragon, Fairy something dragon..... Like I said, I'll watch it for a few giggles. It is, as it was previously stated, just a card game.

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Bonediddly
Fan

Bonediddly is on a distinguished road

I lost interest when I saw "Yugioh" in the title. Can we find a different franchise to milk?

Bonediddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
TheNinja4759

TheNinja4759 is meh

Personally, I love 5D's. Not to say that Season 0, Yugioh, and GX wern't all THAT bad.. >.> Besides... CARD GAMES ON MOTORBIKES. What's not to hate? Nothing. BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.
TheNinja4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
EagleEyes

Fanatic

EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of EagleEyes has much to be proud of

I wanted to watch this, but I never got around to it........ DAMN YOU AIR GEAR AN MAKING ME WATCH YOU 3456 times.
EagleEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Anjinnosaj

Anjinnosaj is meh

I can't even WATCH the english dub without jumping out my seat and yelling at how bad either the direction of voice or choice in voice for the character. Akiza is horribly voice as stated above. the subbed verisons are far superior than the dubbed. it's 4kids what do you expect. what i can't understand is in normal cartoons such as bugs bunny or generic american Cartoons expect death in a way that is simple and we love it but 4kids pulls the shadow realm over our eyes yet again. I feel bad for the fallen company but they are playing it too safe with Anime. Yugioh 5d's is a good series but i really think as much as i hate to say this, needs a another company -_- and get BACK POKEMON!
Anjinnosaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
TheNinja4759

TheNinja4759 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjinnosaj View Post
I can't even WATCH the english dub without jumping out my seat and yelling at how bad either the direction of voice or choice in voice for the character. Akiza is horribly voice as stated above. the subbed verisons are far superior than the dubbed. it's 4kids what do you expect. what i can't understand is in normal cartoons such as bugs bunny or generic american Cartoons expect death in a way that is simple and we love it but 4kids pulls the shadow realm over our eyes yet again. I feel bad for the fallen company but they are playing it too safe with Anime. Yugioh 5d's is a good series but i really think as much as i hate to say this, needs a another company -_- and get BACK POKEMON!
Very true. 4kids went overboard on the voice actors being all BRITISHY. It made me want to shoot my face off. =/

TheNinja4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

"Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie: Super Fusion! Bonds that Transcend Time", will be released as "YuGiOh 3D: Bonds Beyond Time", a voiceless preview was revealed at Comic Con 2010, stating at the end of the teaser that another preview will be released at the World Championships this August. No released date for the film, it's planned to involve extra scenes to bypass the original's 50 minute length.

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote