Old 02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
Portable consoles

The Nintendo DSi XL
found this news story here
http://pokebeach.com/2010/02/nintend...sed-next-month

The system is basically a much bigger DSi, and will go for 189,99 ($10 more bucks and you can get a Wii).
Gunpei Yokoi is rolling in his grave right now....

Last edited by Llian; 03-02-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Bonediddly
Fan

Bonediddly is on a distinguished road
Re: The Nintendo DSi XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
($10 more bucks and you can get a Wii).
...Or you could buy the original DS, which seems to be what Nintendo is working their way back too.

Bonediddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonediddly View Post
...Or you could buy the original DS, which seems to be what Nintendo is working their way back too.
Keep dreaming.

It is rumored that Nintendo is working on the DS2, which will be even further from the original DS. No, the GBA slot isn't coming back.

Also, this is very old news.

In case anyone was wondering, no the resolution hasn't been increased, only the screen size. It's a version of the DSi specifically for people who are hard of sight.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Actually the DS2 is already in exsistance, Nintendo sent one to the Pokemon company so they can take the DS2's features into account for the the 5th Gen, I guess because they're looking at the new games to really expand the DS2's features since Diamond and Pearl didn't use the DS/LiteDSi's features until HeartGold and Soul Silver.
So really the only people who have a clue about the DS2's look/features are the people who made it and the Pokemon company
In case your wondering wtf I'm talking about:
Diamond, Pearl and Platinum used the bottom screen for very few features, it only applied to the Poketec and the battle menu.
HeartGold and SoulSilver however used the bottom screen and used it a lot more then DPPt, considering you used the stylus screen for ALL the menus (Accesing PC, Bag, Battle Menu, etc)

Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of
Talking Re: The Nintendo DSi XL

Quote:
Actually the DS2 is already in exsistance, Nintendo sent one to the Pokemon company so they can take the DS2's features into account for the the 5th Gen, I guess because they're looking at the new games to really expand the DS2's features since Diamond and Pearl didn't use the DS/LiteDSi's features until HeartGold and Soul Silver.
So really the only people who have a clue about the DS2's look/features are the people who made it and the Pokemon company
In case your wondering wtf I'm talking about:
Diamond, Pearl and Platinum used the bottom screen for very few features, it only applied to the Poketec and the battle menu.
HeartGold and SoulSilver however used the bottom screen and used it a lot more then DPPt, considering you used the stylus screen for ALL the menus (Accesing PC, Bag, Battle Menu, etc)
What's in bold is a rumour, it hasn't been confirmed.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Tempest Wind

Seki Tomokazu Fangirl

Tempest Wind is meh

It's like they just keep looking for ways to steal our cash. I'm still offended by the fact that the DSi doesn't have GBA capabilities. No way am I getting a bigger version of that nonsense.

The screen barely looks any bigger anyway!

Last edited by Tempest Wind; 02-25-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Tempest Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Wind View Post
It's like they just keep looking for ways to steal our cash. I'm still offended by the fact that the DSi doesn't have GBA capabilities. No way am I getting a bigger version of that nonsense.

The screen barely looks any bigger anyway!
Inb4sarcasm.

Oh yeah, want to know why the DSi didn't have a GBA slot? Nintendo no longer produces the games, and it had been many, many years since the last release. It's also cheaper and a more effective way to produce the units.

The DS2 may have GB, GBC and GBA games added to the DSiShop, due to the increased hardware capabilities.

And on a closing note, list 10 GBA games you still play on the physical cart.

(The screen is much larger. It doesn't take a pro to notice that, people claimed that for the DSi, when the screen there is much larger than the classic DS).

Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

I think Nintendo has ventured far and wide from Gunpei's original philosophy of "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology"
Now they're just remaking everything adding something irrelevant and slapping on 30 extra bucks

Old 02-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
I think Nintendo has ventured far and wide from Gunpei's original philosophy of "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology"
Now they're just remaking everything adding something irrelevant and slapping on 30 extra bucks
The PSPGO! stopped by to say hi, it said "Or you can remove something and slap on an extra $150".

Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
dbull620
Demon Slayer

dbull620 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Inb4sarcasm.

Oh yeah, want to know why the DSi didn't have a GBA slot? Nintendo no longer produces the games, and it had been many, many years since the last release. It's also cheaper and a more effective way to produce the units.

The DS2 may have GB, GBC and GBA games added to the DSiShop, due to the increased hardware capabilities.

And on a closing note, list 10 GBA games you still play on the physical cart.

(The screen is much larger. It doesn't take a pro to notice that, people claimed that for the DSi, when the screen there is much larger than the classic DS).
I'm not sure I even have 10 GBA games... but I do go back and play Super Mario World, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission at least once a year.

dbull620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #11
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull620 View Post
I'm not sure I even have 10 GBA games... but I do go back and play Super Mario World, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission at least once a year.
...Exactly my point.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #12
Bonediddly
Fan

GBA games are pretty much all I use my DS for....

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Quote:
...... then why not just used a GBA?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
Why? I kinda bought my DS to play DS games.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
Bonediddly
Fan

Quote:
...... then why not just used a GBA?
It kinda got a liiiitle worn out....

Old 03-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #16
Elc1247

DJ Elcu-desujya

Elc1247 is meh

Quote:
I agree, seems like all nintendo is doing now is remaking stuff, seems they are too busy playing in their swimming pool of cash to care about creating new stuff that would wow all of us expecting them to actually use some effort.

and also, this is somewhat old news... the DSi XL has been available for months in japan already, it would make sense that they would bring over a new version of the DS if they could make even more money. maybe they could finally replace all their toilet paper with rolls of ¥1000 notes... with the release of this "new feature"

but seriously, i hear one of the reasons they decided to fatten the DSi is because they wanted to market more to the elderly or something like that... i dunno... thats what i hear floating around the internet...

Tokyo Bambi -The Pillows

Elc1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
Oni
Banhammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elc1247 View Post
I agree, seems like all nintendo is doing now is remaking stuff, seems they are too busy playing in their swimming pool of cash to care about creating new stuff that would wow all of us expecting them to actually use some effort.

and also, this is somewhat old news... the DSi XL has been available for months in japan already, it would make sense that they would bring over a new version of the DS if they could make even more money. maybe they could finally replace all their toilet paper with rolls of ¥1000 notes... with the release of this "new feature"

but seriously, i hear one of the reasons they decided to fatten the DSi is because they wanted to market more to the elderly or something like that... i dunno... thats what i hear floating around the internet...
PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP-GO.
DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL.

And when you compare how many times each portable console has been revised, and then take into consideration that the DS2 and PSP2 are somewhere on the horizon...you logic makes no sense.

Also, evolution before innovation.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Llian

Type 1 Go

Llian is on a distinguished road

Changing this to portable console discussion. Widens the discussion and gives more room for opinions.

Also, it doesn't have to apply only to Nintendo imo. I guess the point is that they're remaking all these consoles with minimum updates while hopefully in the process trying to empty our wallets. Though it might be a good business/marketing move (and detrimental to those who don't know any better) I feel they'd entice/draw more individuals in if they just chose to hold the updates for a more worthwhile update of the console. Ya know? But they'd be losing profits that way so. I doubt it'd be proficient for them.

Last edited by Llian; 03-02-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Llian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
Kibs

Fanatic

Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kibs is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Portable consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elc1247 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP-GO. <- LOL PSPGO IS FAIL
DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL.

And when you compare how many times each portable console has been revised, and then take into consideration that the DS2 and PSP2 are somewhere on the horizon...you logic makes no sense.

Also, evolution before innovation.
for once I agree with Oni, in fact, they've spent a lot more effort in the past to re-invent the wheel, aside from a few really early nintendo re-productions, Sony is the only company that's had multiple iterations of its main consoles

Not to mention that Sony and Microsoft are coming out with their own "LOL LOOK WE CAN HAS WII TOO" controllers I'd safely say that Nintendo is still in a position to be the most innovative of this generation (no matter how often sony throws the word around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llian View Post
Changing this to portable console discussion. Widens the discussion and gives more room for opinions.

Also, it doesn't have to only apply to Nintendo imo. I guess the point is that they're remaking all these consoles with minimum updates while hopefully in the process trying to empty our wallets. Though it might be a good business/marketing move (and detrimental to those who don't know any better) I feel they'd entice/draw more individuals in if they just choose to hold on the updates for a more worthwhile update of the console. Ya know? But they'd be losing profits that way so. I doubt it'd be proficient for them.
A lot of companies are trying to maximize profits while minimizing workforce, it's the state of the economy, it's a sad thing, but it's true.

Kibs is offline   Reply With Quote