It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh
Suggestions?

Hey everyone, it's Mephisto. Some of you may remember me, some of you may not...some may not even know me, but that's quite alright. I've come to you all today, humbly requesting some new anime suggestions. I've scoured Crunchyroll and Netflix for quite a while now, but I have run out of options.

I'm a sucker for romance and here's is my completed list in the genre:

Clannad***
Asobi ni Ikuyo: Bombshells from the Sky
Fortune Arterial
Good Luck Ninomiya-kun
Myself;Yourself**
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
The World God Only Knows*
Rumbling Hearts***
Shuffle!**
Linebarrels of Iron(I know, but it fits the genre according to Crunchyroll.)
Dance in the Vampire Bund
Rosario+Vampire*
Ouran Host Club*
Love Hina*
Bridge to the Starry Skies

Key: No asterisk means it was okay, * means good, ** means great, *** means it is a favorite of mine.

Probably some more that I cannot recall off the top of my head, so if you suggest it and I recognize it, I'll say something.

I've also tried watching a few others, but I just couldn't stay with them...especially School Days. The main character enrages me so much that I cannot even finish episode six.

I'm going to give School Rumble a shot right now, so I am begging of you to send me all the suggestions you can.

Last edited by Mephisto; 04-27-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
christmas4477

Smugleaf

christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Suggestions?

Romance huh? Not exactly my strongest genre, but I have seen a few. Infinite Stratos and Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls might be good to try if you want to venture into harem territory, but other than that I don't go searching for this style too often. There are always the classics of Love Hina and Negima

christmas4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh
Ha, I can't believe I forgot Love Hina.

I have watched an episode or two of Negima, I didn't get that into it before. But perhaps I'll give it another shot.

I just watched Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls, perhaps Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls might be just as entertaining? Strike that, not what I'm looking for XD

I'll check out Infinite Stratos.

It's amusing, on the harem note. I generally don't like them because the main character almost always picks the one that I don't want them to. It's what I liked about Clannad, they did a special episode where it showed Tomoya with my choice XD

Last edited by PiSsEdSiLeNtBoB; 04-26-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Please do not double post.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

Beware the double post. In terms of Romance, give Romeo x Juliet a shot. It's a classic story with a few spins. It may seem like an obvious choice, but Fruits Basket is also a fun little shojo. If you liked Love Hina, you'd enjoy this. If you want straight up heart wrenching love stories, check out almost anything by Makoto Shinkai. 5cm Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days is available through American licensing. His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano) is amusing for a high school drama romance.
I can totally keep going... :P

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh

Please do, I'll be compiling a to do list for myself. I've watched about six different anime this past week alone, thanks to the availabilities of CR and Netflix. And the double post was unintentionally intentional, I figured that if I kept editing more in than I wanted to say...it would end up looking foolish.

I really like the heart wrenching ones, Clannad and Rumbling hearts both made me cry. A feat that only one other piece of media has achieved. I also like avoiding English dubs, many just sound off and make me lose interest...not sure why. But there are always exceptions to that rule if the voice overs flow nicely.

I gave Fruits Basket a try before and didn't like it all that much, I dunno...felt a little too silly?

Oh, another one that is definitely one of my all times favorites is Suzuka.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

What about Tale of Memories? As far as movies go, I'll agree with 5cm Per Second and recommend Jin Roh, which can be especially heart-wrenching to anyone who's ever worn a uniform.

Last edited by moonhawk81; 04-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Amui

Fan

Amui is a splendid one to behold Amui is a splendid one to behold

Kashimashi is great, even if you're not into the whole gender bender/yuri concept.

I've also heard good things about Allison & Lillia.

Amui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Ef ~ A Tale Of Memories and its sequel.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh

Thank you all, I will definitely look into all of those. As of now, I'm enjoying Infinite Stratos...even if it isn't quite what I thought. Lots of action and indirect romance, but definitely nice.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Kayarath

The Biggest Troll on the website

Kayarath is on a distinguished road

Ah! My Goddess is a great romance series! The first anime series focused heavily on the relationship between the main couple. The squeal series called Flights of Fancy has romance too but tends to be more fantasy adventure-ish.
Kayarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh

I just finished Infinite Stratos, which was pretty good.

I tried looking into those movies listed, but I didn't like the animation. I try to avoid too much CGI mixed with normal art works...I know, I'm picky and I'm probably missing out on something great.

I might give Kare Kano a shot, though the animation looks as old as Mobile Suit Gundam's. XD Diamond in the rough, perhaps?

EF - Tales of Memories so far is great..episode three and I'm pretty hooked.

I've seen Ah! My Goddess, it was decent. I liked the OVA's best.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I love episode four of Ef. Also, Kare Kano/His & Her Circumstances is old, but that shouldn't deter you. It's an amazing serious that looks at romance from both aspects.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh

As long as I don't run into another School Days scenario, I'm good.

And Episode 4 was pretty amazing, is it normal for my favorite character to be Chihiro at this point?

It's funny, my favorite characters are almost always the ones that aren't featured as a main love interest...more as an option, but not chosen. For example;

Clannad - Tomoyo
Love Hina - Makoto
Rosario+Vampire - Mizore

Those are just a few, but meh. It just makes me want to get the game software that most of those were based off of. There are still a few more anime that I know I've seen, but I'm getting lazy on writing them down.

Oh shame on me! I forgot my very first anime...Ayashi no Ceres. It's what got me started watching it to begin with, coupled with the fact that it is a heavy romance oriented anime...yeah, that was the start of it all. Poor Yuuhi.

Last edited by Mephisto; 04-27-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Chihiro and Renji are my favorites, best couple is best.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
Ef ~ A Tale Of Memories and its sequel.
Haven't seen Tale of Melodies (that was the sequel's title, right?) yet. Is it as good as Memories?

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk81 View Post
Haven't seen Tale of Melodies (that was the sequel's title, right?) yet. Is it as good as Memories?
It is, and it isn't. I was kind of hoping to see more of my favorite couples because I get attached. The way everything began was more like starting an entirely different series. So as long as you enter it that way then yes, I say go for it. It's well animated, the story tugs your heart strings, etc.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
Mephisto

Mephisto is meh

I just finished Ef - A Tale of Memories.

ACK, Spoiler tags not working.

I am so happy with that anime, thank you all for that reference.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
Gatx
Fan

Gatx is meh

It's weird when you think that Ef - A Tale of Memories, at least the Chihiro story, has the same underlying concept as an Adam Sandler movie (Fifty First Dates).

I would like to recommend Eureka 7. It's not necessarily romance, but the end, the two main leads are one of the sweetest couple you'll ever see in anime. The finale is also a ridiculously grand romantic gesture.
Gatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
gannon133
Fan

gannon133 is meh

Well since I am not good with any of the romance anime out there, I happened to bump into Toradora if you haven't watched it.
gannon133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
Rocco
Fan

Rocco is a splendid one to behold Rocco is a splendid one to behold

Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~ is one of my favorites. Though its played more for comedy, the romantic bits are pretty sweet.
Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote