You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road
Why the high prices?

OK, time to display my vast ignorance concerning the very things I love: why do Japanese music cds cost so much? Why do Korean-originated versions of the same cds cost less? I buy directly from the artist whenever possible, paying my own shipping charges, and have never come close to the prices I find when I follow the "buy" tag beside a song that's playing here. What gives?
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Why the high prices?

Hmm, are you buying "First Press" items?

First Press are the equal of the first set of books ever published, and they're sort of a big deal in Japan where they become collectibles. They also have limited editions, different jackets, and various other small things that allow them to up the price.

In my experience, I find it's usually cheaper to buy a CD almost a month or two after it's been released (unless it's iTunes Japan, but even then the prices can still be somewhat high). For example, Scandal's "Tears Of Regret" was about twenty-five bucks on the first day, but now it's sitting at eleven. Obviously, shipping is always gonna get ya though, that is the one sucky thing.

As for full albums, which do have a tendency to sit at twenty five or higher for awhile... I never understood it (though it should be noted most full albums come with DVDs now-a-days), but albums keep going up in price as the US dollar goes down as well. It's conflicting, but I guess that's their music industry.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road
Re: Why the high prices?

Appreciate the insight! I've only seen the multiple-cover trick on just a few albums over here, so it never occurred to me. Nor did I realize that a "first press" even existed. Funny, because I make a great effort to buy first print (edition) books. Thanks!

Last edited by moonhawk81; 08-15-2010 at 07:39 AM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote