It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Mecha Girl

Mecha Girl is meh
Diaries of a Mecha Cosplayer-Mach Windy

It's been a while since I've done this, but I decided that I needed to start doing this more often. Basically I'll be documenting my progress on my latest cosplay project. I think the last time I did this was when I built my Volfogg cosplay years ago. This time I'm building Mach Windy from Shippu! Iron Leaguer.

Materials used (so far):

Wondeflex
Cardboard
Duck Tape

Day 1:

I just started randomly while my roomies were out. I blame looking at old cosplay pics for spurring me into starting Windy. Not sure if I'll be able finish before Ryu-Kon at the end of July but I'll try. If not I'll use it for Anibash in August.

First thing I started on was the inner helm; essentially the part that will keep the helm snugly on my head and be what I build the bulk of the helm around. After building a lot of helms I found the best way to build the inner part is out of Wonderflex molded to my head. I learned that when building my Heatman cosplay. Last time I had help modeling it on to my head, but this time I found it easier just to use my old Heatman helm as a mold and add new wonderflex inside. It took me awhile but once it cooled down enough I was able to pull the new helm piece out.

See attachments 1901 and 1902 for pictures of the inner helm.

When first looking at the character's helm I was a bit unsure where to start. I almost debated on switching to a simpler Iron Leaguer, but then again when have I ever gone the simple route with mechas. So I decided to just randomly start, chopping up cardboard and duck taping to where I thought it should go. My roomies and I have so many cardboard boxes still from when we moved in I had no worries about screwing up since I could just run down to the basement and grab another box.

So I decided to start around the frame work of his face, making the side areas before moving to the forehead, then to the part that covers his nose. Once that was finished I had to think about how I was gonna shape the rest of his helm. The way it is designed has many different layer, some pushing out while other dipping in. Again I just randomly started cutting more cardboard.

See attachment 1903 for a pic of the helm sides while cutting them out.

I figured that I could easily model and cut the cardboard into the form I needed it. Though I've worked with a lot of stuff cardboard is always my go to material for creating the basic form of mecha parts. Usually I'll cover the cardboard with something else afterward like wonderflex, foamboard, or flexform; but this time I'm gonna try something else. (I'll get into that when I try it.)

For the time I ducktaped the sides to the main apart of the helm. Cutting into the sides so I could make the layers of the helm.

See attachments 1904 and 1905.

Then I just continued cutting and adding more cardboard, slowly building up the helm. The last two attachments 1906 and 1908 are where I left off last night. I still have more to work on before I even think about trying my new idea for covering the cardboard before painting.

Expect periodic updated; probably not everyday but each time I get some more done I'll update with my progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1901.jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1902.jpg (37.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1903.jpg (29.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1904.jpg (33.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1905.jpg (31.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1906.jpg (37.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1908.jpg (43.7 KB, 9 views)
Mecha Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Diaries of a Mecha Cosplayer-Mach Windy

I always think making props like this is the hardest. Give me any kind of fabric and a sewing machine, and bam! Give me Wondeflex and I'll be like what do I do with this? Best of luck though, it looks like you've had a lot of practice mapping out your shapes beforehand.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Mecha Girl

Mecha Girl is meh

Heh, truthfully I don't plan anything on paper; it's all planned out in my head or randomly made up as I go. I did plan on paper once but I found that it's much faster and easier for me to work by eye and my gut decisions rather than measurements.

Day 2:

Materials used (so far):

Wondeflex
Cardboard
Duck Tape
Wood (Just a round piece inside so the ponytail can move)

I finished the rough part of Mach Windy's helm. First I finished the top part of the helm: pic 1917. Then I worked on the ponytail. (Yes, he has a metal ponytail)

The ponytail was a bit hard considering I didn't have any cardboard pieces large enough so I have to cut and tape other pieces on to make it long enough. Pic: 1914. I also added another picture showing how the helm fits and how long the ponytail is. Pic: 1918. Then came the details. I was really glad that I had some round cardboard tubing to cut up; round shapes are always a pain to make. Again, more cut and tape until I put on all the details. Pic: 1919 & 1920.

Next I need to decide whether to work next on the arms or legs. Though I should put together a small test piece to try my idea on. I really wouldn't want to ruin the helm after just finishing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1917.jpg (27.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1914.jpg (29.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1918.jpg (31.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1919.jpg (33.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1920.jpg (27.5 KB, 7 views)
Mecha Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Ah, that could be why we work differently. I have a tendency to go by the book and I feel like I can do that a lot the sewing, heh.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Kayarath

The Biggest Troll on the website

Kayarath is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this! It obviously takes a unique skill set to make good cosplay. I was gonna cosplay as a Minecraft character. All you need is cardboard and construction paper...
Kayarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Bobby Henshin

Fan

Bobby Henshin is meh

im trying to make a gundam heavy arms custom cosplay

Bobby Henshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

This is incredibly impressive and I look forward to following your progress. I can relate to Kana in that I can sew my way into a costume, but show me cardboard and wonderflex and I am as lost as a child in the supermarket. I admire your ability to pick up such a seemingly complicated design.
Good luck!

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Cheflelouch
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Cheflelouch is meh

Well I just got to say this is an incredible cosplay you are making

and I can say this for sure and every one have diffrent ways to a make a cosplay mine is that I can pretty much do a lot with materials like foam, card boxes and wood but if you give me a sewing machine and a pice of cloth I can do a cosplay but I wont guaranty it would be a good one

Proud to be MEXICAN

Cheflelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
tombhex

tombhex is meh

Hey!
I'm new here, but I'm really looking forward to the progress of this thread. I've been building things from foamcore and cardboard for a long time for graphic design project mockups, and I've decided i want to start my first mecha cosplay. Before seeing your thread I was unsure of where to start or what media to use (I don't like the idea of spray adhesive/vinyl being attached to things, and I absolutely cringe at the thought of crappily painted cardboard mecha) so I'm curious to see your method for what comes after te cardboard step. I like the way you took initiative and started from a mecha idea that wasn't from paper craft or something, it's bold and impressive!

tombhex is offline   Reply With Quote