You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
gannon133
Fan

gannon133 is meh
Anime that you wouldn't recommend

I had thoughts about what anime to watch and was multi-tasking on this thought and then it occurred to me: What anime I would not ever recommend to someone?

So I wanted to know what Anime you would never want to recommend to someone and why not.
gannon133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough
Re: Anime that you wouldn't recommend

Ooooo heres a list:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tokko
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
Paranoia Agent
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette
Zettai Shougeki ~Platonic Heart~

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
microgamer2vs2
Fan

microgamer2vs2 is meh

I think it's too easy to list off the anime that I think is crap, so here are some series I've liked to some extent but would have a hard time recommending...

Rosario+Vampire
Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Trapeze
Elfen Lied

R+V is actually one of my favorite series, though blatant fanservice is blatant.
OreImo is hard to recommend because I think you need to be somewhat knowledgeable of the eroge and general cult/otaku culture to really enjoy it
Trapeze is just super off-beat and trippy
Elfen Lied for reasons anyone who's watched this series can guess

(X'______') wideface the blog

microgamer2vs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough

Uraboku...

I felt more unfortunate than a porcupine in a balloon factory...

or a goose in a pillow factory...

and I had no clue what was goin on....

HEY!

WHAS GOIN ONNNNN?!

Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
Ooooo heres a list:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tokko
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
Paranoia Agent
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolescence of Utena
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette
Zettai Shougeki ~Platonic Heart~
You single handedly named two of my favorites: Cossette and Paranoia Agent. Both of them are acquired tastes. I wouldn't say don't watch, but give it a shot and if it's not to you tastes, then give up. I can see how both can be a bit jarring, but give them a chance. They're both short (Cossette being three episodes and Paranoia Agent being 13). I'll agree with you on Evangelion though. It just wasn't my thing.

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Zaig
Fan

Zaig is meh

These were all of the anime I mostly hated, and therefore would not recommend to anyone-

Blood+
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
Freezing
Happiness!
Koi Koi Seven
Paranoia Agent
True Tears
High School Girls
Digimon Movie 5: The Adventurer's Battle
Digimon Season 5: Savers
Gin-iro no Olynssis
Gundam Seed CE73 Stargazer
Kanokon
Mizuiro
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out of the Gate!
Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica (however, the second season is actually good)
Tonagura!
Seirei no Moribito
Shukufuku no Campanella

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last edited by Zaig; 04-08-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Zaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaig View Post

Blood+
This makes me dawn a sad face.

I can see where people would dislike it though...tis quite drawn out.

Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
grimdefeat

Fan

grimdefeat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post

Neon Genesis Evangelion
what you hatin on the neon genesis for i love that show but if i can think of any that i really did not like i would have to say i didnt enjoy loveless all that much but that might be for different reasons then most people would hate on it for

grimdefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

I really have to ask, what's with the hate on Paranoia Agent? I'm genuinely surprised. It's always been one of those series like Cowboy Bebop that goes on the general list of "things-that-actually-defend-anime-as-an-artform-and-not-just-boob-jokes-and-giant-swords".

Anyway, the 2 series I always feel I have to go out of my way to red-flag are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/When the Cicadas Cry and Elfen Lied.

They're both well known and notorious for their supposedly dark and gritty violence, but that's just the thing, it's all cheap uninteresting violence with poor and often irrationally schizophrenic character writing, terrible plot progression, terrible art design, and in the case of Higurashi just outright terrible art. The violence itself isn't actually anything bad enough to scare anyone away, it's just all so poorly done and ill conceived that it's not worth watching.

Both try to pitch the horror/suspence/psychological thriller angle, but neither succeeds in using anything beyond overdone cliches. The horror twists are more predictable than the sun rising in the morning and what little suspense there might be left in any given moment is usually ruined by the god awful art quality. Also I can't help but hate the "wannabe hardcore" vibe both shows ooze of like sweat oozes off a fat kid on a treadmill.

And for the record, Elfen Lied is pronounced "ɛlfɪn liːt" and NOT "ɛlfɪn laɪd" It's German for "Elf Song". I hate hearing kids calling it "Elfen L-eye-d" as in "I told a lie". Do people normally just take random guesses at how to pronounce words without stopping to wonder if it has any meaning? I could accept assuming the Lied was English if it weren't so clear that the Elfen wasn't, and once you realize that Elfen is German, I'd only hope you make the logical connection that Lied is as well.

Last edited by Tyto; 04-09-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Tyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Bargain Gamer

Fan

Bargain Gamer is on a distinguished road

But Bismarck, Elfin Layed was so gritty and awesome! How could anything with so much blood and so many gratuitous shots not be cool!

But yeah, that series was meh. And while I can understand not being a fan of Paranoia Agent, I can't really understand not recommending it to someone. Even if you don't really like it (personally I couldn't get past the first ep) you've still got to give it some credit for at least being unique.

Unfortunately I don't have a list of anime I wouldn't recommend, so I don't have much else to contribute here. While I'm more than happy to recommend shows that I like, it takes a seriously awful show for me to warn people against watching it.
Bargain Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
christmas4477

Smugleaf

christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold christmas4477 is a splendid one to behold

No one should ever subject themselves to Mai-Hime like I did. Id never really stuck to a solid type of series, and I never even bothered to learn all the characters names because they were always all over the place. The dub voice acting was also extremely poorly done, almost as if no one really cared about it.

christmas4477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
Arashix

Arashix is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
This makes me dawn a sad face.

I can see where people would dislike it though...tis quite drawn out.
Same. I actually liked it despite how drawn-out it was.

As for series I would never recommend:

First would be, Jinki: Extend. The storyline was just to choppy and the execution just terrible. If you interested in the series, I suggest the manga instead since the Anime isn't very well-written or orchestrated.

Second, Omamori Himari. My favorite manga was pretty much butchered to the extent with it's storyline and ending. Wish the directors/producers put a little more thought into it before deciding to animate the series.
Arashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Witch Hunter Robin, it was slow dribble I couldn't stomach and kept falling asleep through.

Also hate? On Paranoia Agent? What is this I don't even...

Granted a few others here sort of surprise me like True Tears. Everyone will like what they like and dislike what they dislike. I know Paranoia Agent, True Tears, and Neon Genesis Evangelion have to be watched in their entirety to really be loved. There are just series out there like it.

On another note, not a series I "hate" so much as dislike is Rosario+Vampire. That series took me till episode ten (twelve?) to really care about the plot. It wasn't until Ruby was introduced, and she "sadly" was the most interesting character. She didn't even have that much depth. I've heard the manga for this gets really dark and the drama intensifies, which I would have expected from an anime about monsters. Instead we're treated to Aika challenged in the sheer amount of panty shots for a single series. I'd like to note I'm one of those people who continues to watch a series no matter how bored I get, Rosario+Vampire wasn't as laughable as Ghost Hound, but that's another matter for another day.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Leviathan Mist

大好き.

Leviathan Mist is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't recommend watching the Endless Eight episodes of season 2 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I've probably said this enough times that everyone knows this though.

There are a lot of anime that I watched 1 or 2 episodes of and just gave up on because it didn't catch my attention right away, I personally wouldn't recommend them, but some of them are well-known and beloved anime series which are probably good once you watch more than a few episodes.

Leviathan Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Bleach. Really, what's the point of even watching once a program has become that predictable?

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaig View Post
Blood+
NONBELIEVER! D:<

Also... Sure Paranoia Agent was confusing at times, but it was good. And, yes. I agree with Kana on the whole "you need to watch it in its entirely to enjoy it".

Now, the only thing that tops anything else would have to be Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. Random? Yes. Stupid random? Double yes. It's just an overall stupid anime from start to where ever you drop it or to finish. I tried so hard to watch it again. The attempt failed very quickly.

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
sasukeuzi

sasukeuzi is meh

mmmmmm..........dont watch SD Gundam thats fer sure. wat else is there.... XD idk! almost all anime i watch i find pretty interesting!!! but no hatin on Evangelion =_= classic masterpiece of the previous century and this

sasukeuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
On another note, not a series I "hate" so much as dislike is Rosario+Vampire. That series took me till episode ten (twelve?) to really care about the plot.
Your more of a trooper then I am, I never got anywhere past 5

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
Zaig
Fan

Zaig is meh

Haha. Rosario+Vampire is my 5th favorite anime and favorite manga (I own every manga volume that has been translated--HOWEVER, yesterday my first three volumes suffered water damage...). Everyone I've recommended it to have loved it.

I've seen many, many romance and drama anime (favorite genres, you could say), but True Tears was just horrible.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Zaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
mitamaking

mitamaking is meh

Even though I like it a bit I wouldn't recommend Naruto, it is too long for the few good bits we have gotten.

Otherwise, I hated Gantz, Virus Buster Serge, and I would say stop after episode 2 of Trinity Blood.

mitamaking is offline   Reply With Quote