It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh
I find the term weeaboo and Wapanese very offensive.

I just recently found a term that unfairly targets anime fans, japan fans, and a whole sector of fanbases and subcultures it is called weeaboo or Wapanese. As you all know the weeaboo term was started in a chat filter on 4chan coming from a web comic. It spread to the mainstream and is now a very derogatory word for anyone non-native to japan who cosplays, like japanese video games, watches anime, reads manga, listens to japanese music and the like. I just think it is unfair to attack not just one, but hundreds if various subcultures and people into one big category. I'm ranting about this since last night when I found out this lamer who thinks just because he has lived in Japan is better than us. Though that gives him some leeway to say "it isn't like that" or whatever to target us, and call us names and insult our interests is so disrespectful. I'm not going on the tangent of racism because that doesn't fit here, but I just want to get this out of my system.

http://youtu.be/6J0BMJfzpUQ

nerdwerld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road
Re: I find the term weeaboo and Wapanese very offensive.

Somehow I think that guy has less friends than I do.

twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillÿ View Post
Somehow I think that guy has less friends than I do.
Well I'm hearing and looking at more videos because I'm interested how much this has spread. This may be a bigger threat to various subcultures than any one individual in the group or a group of individuals can cause. The only problem is it was a self-injury created by 4chan.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I understand it in a sense because like in all parts of geekdom there are those people who go way overboard. I don't mean to be insulting, but I understand why the word "Weeaboo" is used since there are people out there who claim to be the biggest anime fan despite only seeing a few episodes of DragonBall Z and Naruto. Then again, there's those people out there who are so detached from reality in the con-circuit where they think they are an anime character or they will literally gouge people's eyes out for insulting so-and-so character.

These are extremes. I think if "weeaboo" is used to describe extremes then I don't see a problem. Honestly, I'm more offended by people using the word "otaku" to describe themselves, but that's another tangent. As for Wapanese there are people out there who think Japan is amazing just due to the animation, which is a little closed minded. There's so much to culture besides just the cartoons on their TV, and the description is based on people who are earnestly being idiotic. No, you don't need to live in Japan to want to go there or have a conception that it is the best; however, you do need to have some back-up to those thoughts instead of baseless assumptions. Like with all things, these terms are essentially our American version of "otaku" IE to describe the bad in a sub-genre like anime.

There are good anime fans, bad anime fans, and then there are weird anime fans. This exists whether it's video games, comics, etc and previously those people are just described as nerds or geeks. Those terms have evolved and being a nerd and/or geek is sorta considered cool now, so to counter there are now bad words to describe it. For anime fandom it is "weeaboo" and "wapanese" which seems pretty sensible to me.

Sure, it might not be nice, but there's negatives to everything.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh

[QUOTE=Kanashimi;23282

I'm more offended by people using the word "otaku" to describe themselves, but that's another tangent.

There are good anime fans, bad anime fans, and then there are weird anime fans. This exists whether it's video games, comics, etc and previously those people are just described as nerds or geeks. Those terms have evolved and being a nerd and/or geek is sorta considered cool now, so to counter there are now bad words to describe it. For anime fandom it is "weeaboo" and "wapanese" which seems pretty sensible to me.

Sure, it might not be nice, but there's negatives to everything.[/QUOTE]

Nerd, geek, and even otaku all have bad connatation (for various reasons and that fact that I don't want to go into a tangent)

That argument that there are good anime fans, weird anime fans, and bad anime fans is what I'm trying to state is your grouping various non-japanese subcultures and people together and the guy is attacking our interest in japanese culture, and it isn't a small phenomenon unfortunately.

As fans we will always be attacked by the outsiders who don't understand us this is a fact of life. Words evolve over time, and that is what is happening with some of the older words like nerd, geek, and even otaku, hikkimori and the more offensive words... but i promised I wouldn't go on the tangent. I promised.

In the video the guy attacked various subcultures, but particularly the anime fan culture. The word wapanese is actually much broader and allies to myself in particular becuase I don't just like anime, manga, and jrock/jpop. I like godzilla, akira kurasawa, japanese history, japanese underground punk and metal, and architecture, and even literature (or the historical variety). "weeaboo" was meant originally to marginalize wapanese and their are believe it or not various small subcultures dedicated to the things I just said. It unfairly groups the bad anime fans with the good ones, the anime fans with the godzilla fans, the japanese history buffs with the hikkamori. It isn't fair at all.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

In reference to the video I think he's a know it all that wanted attention by shoving a video of him disrespecting other people to make himself feel better. I watched a minute and got bored because he was shoving the fact that because he lived in Japan he had sort of the right to say what was and wasn't.

Opinions are opinions, let him have them. It's not really in our realm of control if we don't agree with them. If people are too closed minded to automatically attack us... well, that's there problem, but honestly with the mainstream boom of anime in the mid-90s I would say this isn't really that much of a threat.

I mean words are what you make of them. Everyone has a different thing that comes to mind when I say words like "hope", "pride", "legend", etc. If I make geek a good word in my mind it can be a good word, but it doesn't change ti for anyone else either.

Though I wasn't trying to group subcultures together, but you also have to note that most people who aren't fans of any of those things will.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road

I'm not offended by what that guy said really. First off, he was clearly only referencing a stereotype of what he thinks apparently includes ALL fans of anime and such. I personally have never had any interest in Naruto and I like all types of seafood, particularly sushi and sashimi; California rolls are fake crab and actually pretty gross. XD

The thing is, like Kana said, there are many different types of fans and subsequently, we're all pretty much gonna be viewed by the one that stands out the most. I really don't care, I like what I like and I'm not changing that. My main interest in Japanese culture has never been anime or manga, it has always been music; that extends to Korea and other parts of Asia as well, but it is not limited to just Asia. I like music from all different countries (I guess that makes me a 'worldaboo'?). Music is an international language and his statement that we don't understand what they are saying is invalid. I've been interested in Japanese history and culture for almost my entire life. I began practicing Buddhism at a young age, which was also a major turning point for me as far as self awareness and lifestyle was concerned. Sure, music was my gateway drug into liking more of the Japanese scene, I mean, I really enjoyed the music coming out of there, why not check out what else they had to offer.

The thing that gets me about this particular guy, is that he pinned down Naruto mainly, claiming all anime is made for Japanese children. Well guess what, maybe some of us prefer the more story-oriented animations as opposed to slap-stick comedy of western shows. Again, it's all about each fan in particular. Fans of anything are gonna get hate from at least one person who doesn't understand or like that particular thing. The main thing as fans is to just accept these ignorant people for who they are and not let it bother you. Derogatory terms or not. It makes no difference in the end as long as you are happy with yourself and your interests. :3

Last edited by twillÿ; 11-29-2010 at 10:38 AM.
twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
In reference to the video I think he's a know it all that wanted attention by shoving a video of him disrespecting other people to make himself feel better. I watched a minute and got bored because he was shoving the fact that because he lived in Japan he had sort of the right to say what was and wasn't.

Opinions are opinions, let him have them. It's not really in our realm of control if we don't agree with them. If people are too closed minded to automatically attack us... well, that's there problem, but honestly with the mainstream boom of anime in the mid-90s I would say this isn't really that much of a threat.

I mean words are what you make of them. Everyone has a different thing that comes to mind when I say words like "hope", "pride", "legend", etc. If I make geek a good word in my mind it can be a good word, but it doesn't change ti for anyone else either.

Though I wasn't trying to group subcultures together, but you also have to note that most people who aren't fans of any of those things will.
I know in Japan some of the home grown subcultures get snubbed out, in fact even the more famous ones around Ikeburo get their own attacks. But the grouping of various subcultures lets say of kaiju fans (which has almsot disappeared from the japanese mainstream is still popular outside of Japan.) I just don't want a disappearing of various subcultures because it is going back to be considered bad to join a certain subculture.
Even though this would tie in various nerd subcultures even more with various heavy metal subcultures, but again I'm getting on a tangent.

I agree with you in the fact that words is what we make of them, and nothing will change it even if I think it is postive there are people who think it will always be negative (I have a few friends who don't like being called nerd or geek, we are more geeks than nerds)

Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillÿ View Post
The thing that gets me about this particular guy, is that he pinned down Naruto mainly, claiming all anime is made for Japanese children. Well guess what, maybe some of us prefer the more story-oriented animations as opposed to slap-stick comedy of western shows.
This.

Well, sorta. I prefer children shows no matter what country. I love Disney and can't wait for the latest Shrek to come out so I can see it, etc. It's good to be a child at heart no matter what the culture is. Cartoons forever, Western, Japanese, anime, animation, Japanime, whatever.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
This.

Well, sorta. I prefer children shows no matter what country. I love Disney and can't wait for the latest Shrek to come out so I can see it, etc. It's good to be a child at heart no matter what the culture is. Cartoons forever, Western, Japanese, anime, animation, Japanime, whatever.

well some of the cartoon network shows are going down in quality, the golden years of american animation in my opinion was in the 90's. Disney Renaissance, and Cartoon Cartoon Block we even had Toonami

Old 11-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
mahay
Fan

mahay is on a distinguished road

I don't really see why all of it matters. I've always seen a huge difference between what constitutes a Weeaboo and a more healthy form of anime appreciation or appreciation of other aspects of Japanese-ness. As long as we know that we aren't unhealthily obsessed then there is no problem with other people saying things that are derogatory. People need terms like that in order to create out-groups and make themselves feel better. Just let them do it and move on with your life. If you find that it really irks you when you get called Weeaboo, look objectively at yourself and you may indeed find that you could do with a bit of making those habits less overt so that people won't single you out as much.

Just sayin'

p.s. I'm not writing specifically to you, Nerd, I just decided to write in the second person.

æææææææææææææææææææææææææ æææææææææææææææææ
♪♫" I'm on the right track baby; I was born as mahay"♫♪ -- Lady GaGa

Last edited by mahay; 11-29-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarification
mahay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh

But if we don't have terms to unite us under we can't be considered part of a sub-culture. Though I know many nerd groups don't want this thing called unity. Personally I don't myself conider it offensive to me, but this antagonism isn't good. I understand we will always be picked on by outsiders who don't understand us, but it doesn't feel good to be hated because i have certain interests that are Japanese related.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Actually, I think Twilly has the right idea: be proud of what you are and just let everyone else deal with it. At 41, I'm probably one of the older members on this site, but--despite a rough-and-tumble background that might seem to suggest otherwise--I still love watching cartoons and anime. As well as reading and writing poetry, attending the ballet, cooking, etc. My point is, it took me 41 long years to become what I am at this very minute, and I'm actually d_mned proud of it. I am my own life's work. This is me--I'm happy with myself, and don't much give a flying fig what anyone else thinks about me. And I've encouraged my children to develop this same attitude. Yeah, I was called "gaijin" while in Japan, but I've been called a lot worse over here, and so what? A little hot tea and Gunslinger Girl (and great Fan music, of course!), and my world is good again. Remember, the world is full of small-minded people--just don't be one of them.

Last edited by moonhawk81; 11-29-2010 at 08:25 PM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation

Obviously as a staff member of 91.8 I have a fair bit of love for all things asian. I call myself, and people like me weeaboo. I use the term often when something "weeabooish" comes up like "well of course blah blah blah because we're all weeaboo here" etc etc.

I think taking offence to a name gives it it's power. So the only thing that happens when someone gets offended by a word is it gives people who would use it negatively more power and it takes a bit of power away from oneself. That applies to any term deemed "derogatory"

So sorry, like Randel Graves and "porch monkey", I'm going to continue to "take back" weeaboo, and I suggest stopping yourself from getting offended by the term because all you're doing is giving power to those who would use it against you.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Like we did with "Coon_ss" back home in south Louisiana? Or maybe even like those crazy Canadians did with "Canuck?" *passes Elk more tea while pointing and laughing*

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
Stone
Fan

Stone is meh

I would go with MoonHawks idea of dealing with it.

In the end, words like weeabo or something like that only have power over the people who doubt their own way even if it is a bit. It is like with suggestion, you can control people by words alone, make them believe that they are something if you have enough willpower. I think this works the same way around too.

"People with a strong mind can be shattered as long as they doubt."

Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh
Lightbulb Re: I find the term weeaboo and Wapanese very offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoELK View Post
Obviously as a staff member of 91.8 I have a fair bit of love for all things asian. I call myself, and people like me weeaboo. I use the term often when something "weeabooish" comes up like "well of course blah blah blah because we're all weeaboo here" etc etc.

I think taking offence to a name gives it it's power. So the only thing that happens when someone gets offended by a word is it gives people who would use it negatively more power and it takes a bit of power away from oneself. That applies to any term deemed "derogatory"

So sorry, like Randel Graves and "porch monkey", I'm going to continue to "take back" weeaboo, and I suggest stopping yourself from getting offended by the term because all you're doing is giving power to those who would use it against you.
Yeah, personally I've moved past the rant and the enemy of the subculture as my targets. The people he targeted were just in essense imaginary depictions or constructs of what he thought the "weeaboo" and "wapanese" are. Instead of lagging on this topic, I've moved on and decided to keep ranting on this topic is quite pointless. I love asian culture, and so what if I go to cons, and hang around with others who do some of the more extreme things. But I don't know anyone who just goes out and disregards their own host culture for the asian cultures since alot of asian culture is based in host culture from around the world. We live in a globalized world, and these detractors and haters are just a reactionary movement to our acceptance of the fact that the world is changing its not white-christian-imperialistic cultures that are thriving its all sorts of cultures and are creating reactionary forces for and against these subcultures.

"And as I promised... the tangent" (nothing to do with weeaboo, but I will link it to what I just said)
Case Study: Heavy Metal Culture
Not only I'm a history buff, otaku, "weeabo" (the world hasn't stick with me yet) but I'm also a devout metalhead. My belief system and attitudes are firmly based off the metalhead subculture. I'm a strong individual, who values individuality, a rebel attitude, and just having fun. In the end that is what rock and roll is about right? Yeah, I were black most of the time, and have been caught wearing band t-shirts some controversial in nature. It isn't that I'm a satanist or a racist, but I wear them as a statement. That statement of course, "sticking it to the man" mentality. Society (especially democratic, capitolist and socialist societies "trying to group more than just the USA with that") breeds inconformity becuase it alienates those people who don't necessarily except the reality that is given to them.

The reason I listen to metal is the same reason I watch anime (and play dnd, and wow, and write). It is an escape mechanism that I can use to get out of this world which isn't necessarily perfect, and I don't like taking it the way that society tells me to. Anime, metal, and various other things let me escape the world that I feel has left me in the dark. There will always be people who don't understand the downtrodden, the "untouchables" for example. Metal heads, most cos-players, con-goers, and even the lowly untouchables all share one thing and that is the fact that as a subculture (untouchables are a caste not a subculture... but heh I can't be perfect) we exist as a sub-strata of society, and we can foil society and its problems. I would like to put this to a rest since in all fairness I am ready to move on from this senile ranting phase into a more civil existence... that is all (unless someone wants to challenge this)

Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
kagra280

kagra280 is meh

Honestly I don't find such words offending. I was called "wapanese" once and i didn't find it offending at all because i honestly didn't care and i still don't. I'm not one of those MAJOR otaku and I'm not just a girl that watches like 2 episodes of something and declares I'm an otaku but I am an avid anime watcher and love pretty much all things japan. I may not know much about it since I'm kinda new to it all but i do believe it shouldn't be judged so easily. and judging them from the TV shows they watch is just stupid. I sometimes watch spongebob, that doesn't make me utterly idiotic. But ya know... I can't stop them from judging so I just brush it off. There's no point in listening to there judgments. anyway... sometimes ya just gotta forget about all that bad stuff and live the life you want.
kagra280 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime otaku weeaboo