It seems you're not logged in
You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Draxxsus

Draxxsus is meh
Japan!!!

I might be studying abroad next year (My senior year) in Japan so just wondering any advice and or such things?

Draxxsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Japan!!!

Best to learn some basic manners. This can change based on your gender, too. Depending on the situation you might not need to learn any language (or even Engrish language if you will), but I would really suggest looking up things that involve basic manners or how to properly bow, things like that.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Along the lines of what Kana said, if you tend to be loud when speaking, laughing, etc. or tend to speak your mind impulsively. Learn to tone down the volume, quite a bit and think three times before speaking out about anything.

One thing I've learned about Japanese culture is that it prides itself on the respect of others. Being loud and boisterous in most situations is frowned upon as childish and immature and otherwise is irritating.

This is especially the case in social situations that are not necessarily casual settings. Riding on the train, being out in the public, does not imply a social situation. Even here, politeness and generally being quiet is expected.

Most Japanese people in the larger cities know that many Americans tend to be loud and boisterous, so they look past that most of the time.

But if you really want to immerse yourself in the culture, especially, if you plan to venture out from the big cities, I recommend that as a start.

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Cell phones weren't around when I was in Japan, but I've been told you can't use them on public transit. . .Oh, and make sure you get your honorifics correct, even if you don't learn a single other grammatical rule!

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Draxxsus

Draxxsus is meh

Well thanks im not a very loud person in public or at home and my teachers tend to tell my parents that i need to be a bit more vocal in class.
I wouldn't really know Gender specific manners though i know some of the basics but that's all i know being courteous and chivalrous to the ladies is a big thing though but I already do that so it wouldn't really be a problem.
And the cellphone thing I know its frowned upon using a cellphone on public transit but from what I have heard people still do it but its more of the young people doing it.

Draxxsus is offline   Reply With Quote