You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 03-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Leviathan Mist

大好き.

Leviathan Mist is on a distinguished road
A tribute to all the people who lost their lives in the Japan quake

Normally I don't do this kind of thing, since I hate the real world in general and only check the news when I have to, but I feel these people deserve at the very least my acknowledgment and support. Any large earthquake like this is gonna result in loss of life, and since earthquakes are so spontaneous, it's not like you can really prepare for one. As of right now, the death toll is expected to be well above the 200-300 range they have currently confirmed, and although I don't think this will be a bigger tragedy than the Indian Ocean quake 6 years ago, there were still a lot of lives lost. So, I've made this topic for people to share their opinions, whether you have friends or family in Japan or just want to talk about what it means to you. Here's to all those lost and their friends and families, hoping they make it through this and get back on their feet.

If I was rich, I'd donate to a relief fund. >.<

Leviathan Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Kate

*Insert User Title Here*

Kate will become famous soon enough
Re: A tribute to all the people who lost their lives in the Japan quake

Yeah, I heard about this on the news. All the damage in Japan, wow. That's just awful. D:

Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

Thats horrible, but then again, Mother Nature has been harsh this year...
I hope that they can recover quickly

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Rhetorical Gamer
Fan

Rhetorical Gamer is meh

My prayers are with them, they can rebuild and overcome.

Rhetorical Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
toyNN
Fan

toyNN is on a distinguished road

Thanks for starting this thread Leviathan - my thoughts too are with those in Japan, its definitely bad. Even though Japan has the best built buildings and homes for surviving earthquakes its hard to protect against the Tsunami. The coastal cities like Sendai and Shirakawa are in really bad shape being mostly at sea level and the Tsunami just devastated them.

Its also caused a bunch of problems at their nuclear power plants. I hope those get resolved safely but best case all of northern Japan including Tokyo are going to short on electricity for some time, perhaps months.

Just a whole lot of no fun.

ANN has a ongoing post of Japanese seiyuus and other anime/music/game related folks tweeting or updating their blogs regarding their status after the quake.

In case you are thinking about a donation to help with the recovery efforts in Japan I'll suggest - our friends over at Crunchyroll are taking donations ($5 increments) and will match those up to $5k. They'll then pick an organization like the Red-Cross Japan Relief to give the money to.

toyNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Leviathan Mist

大好き.

Leviathan Mist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyNN View Post
Thanks for starting this thread Leviathan - my thoughts too are with those in Japan, its definitely bad. Even though Japan has the best built buildings and homes for surviving earthquakes its hard to protect against the Tsunami. The coastal cities like Sendai and Shirakawa are in really bad shape being mostly at sea level and the Tsunami just devastated them.

Its also caused a bunch of problems at their nuclear power plants. I hope those get resolved safely but best case all of northern Japan including Tokyo are going to short on electricity for some time, perhaps months.

Just a whole lot of no fun.

ANN has a ongoing post of Japanese seiyuus and other anime/music/game related folks tweeting or updating their blogs regarding their status after the quake.

In case you are thinking about a donation to help with the recovery efforts in Japan I'll suggest - our friends over at Crunchyroll are taking donations ($5 increments) and will match those up to $5k. They'll then pick an organization like the Red-Cross Japan Relief to give the money to.
+1 rep.

This is very interesting. It's nice to know all my favorite voice actors and actresses are doing okay.

Leviathan Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
gannon133
Fan

gannon133 is meh

I want to help out in the relief but with the money problems with not just myself but my family, I can't say I can help but just pray that all those living in Japan are in good shape and those that have been deceased from the tsunami are to be held dear to the families and friends near them as memories as of now.
gannon133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Sawa has been in Hong Kong this past week touring, and just returned to Japan last night. She says that all her family is safe, although the nuclear mess is happening just in the next prefecture.

As for toyNN referencing the coastal cities of Sendai and Shirakawa, the soil itself will be a culprit, no matter how well-built the buildings are. Coastal areas are usually a mixture of sandy and silty soils, neither of which resist water well. With a sudden influx of water, the soil will often just melt away from beneath a building. (That's why so many traditional Coon_ss houses are built elevated upon pilings sunk deep into the soil, rather than upon a foundation resting atop the soil...)

Last edited by moonhawk81; 03-14-2011 at 09:55 AM.
moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
SoulArbiter
Fan

SoulArbiter is on a distinguished road

It's simply awful what has happened. Unfortunately, my state of Queensland had its floods and all. I'd love to donate, but I did so during my country's own crisis. I might sound a tad selfish, but I'm just a student. All I can offer are my thoughts and prayers.

SoulArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earthquake , japan