You can do that Here
Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」
Fan

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 is meh
Favorite Anime Con Events

I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in, but anyway, what are everyone's favorite events to attend at anime conventions?

I went to Anime Expo for the first time this past summer, and I was amazed at the variety of events and panels they had. It was much different from Anime Vegas, which was, and still is, the only other con I've been to.

Though I missed a lot of the events while I was busy wandering around and slaughtering my wallet, my favorite events were the AX Idol competition and the AMV Contest. This summer, though, I wanna be sure to also check out the Masquerade, since that's my favorite event and AV.

PSN: mark_as_RED

黒と赤「KUROtoAKA」 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Favorite Anime Con Events

I think the way I view panels are very different from the way you guys view panels. For me, we have to be to every panel that is remotely interesting and film it. We then stuff those in our Fanatic section, haha. Sometimes they're funny and sometimes they're not. I like sort of unique panels such as AnimeVegas' California Versus Canada Versus Texas, which talked about the difference in voicing in various locations.

At rare times I enjoy Gothic Lolita or cosplay panels, but they have to be well run. Anyone can explain that there's various type of Lolita, but few can actually make it interesting for those already aware of such a thing.

So it is really a hit or miss for me since when I go to a panel I'm reporting on it, trying to get a voice actor's attention, or other things. When I went to conventions for more relaxed things, I generally never went to panels. I usually volunteered, so I guess I've never gone to panels to relax! Haha! Either way, I'm a little picky.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Oni
Banhammer'd

Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of Oni has much to be proud of

Down here in Australia we have a range of strange events, like "Newspaper Cosplay" and "Cardboard Box Racing".

Sadly, I usually don't frequent the "events" at conventions. Why? Because they're usually silly cosplay or AMV contests that I take no interest in (no offence to those who like to cosplay, of course, or make AMVs). Also, panels rarely interest me. As most must know by now, I take little interest in who voices who or their reputation.

I'm more of a fan of the Japanese Ball Joint Dolls that are on display.

Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

I've only attended one convention for the last 7-8 years thats ConnectiCon in Hartford CT

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
XIamSogekingX
Fan

XIamSogekingX is on a distinguished road

We only have one convention in West Virginia and that is Tsubasacon. Unfortunately for the past 3 years of knowing about it, I've been busy for one reason or another. I plan to go to it next time now that I attend college in the same city it is held in.

One of the things I read about it was their cosplay cafe where you could dress up and be served Japanese finger foods. I think that would be fun to try. When I go though, I would be all over the panels. I love hearing people talk about their job and experiences in it.

XIamSogekingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Shadowblade Edge
Banhammer'd

Location: Texas, you know, that place that's better than wherever you live.

Shadowblade Edge is a splendid one to behold Shadowblade Edge is a splendid one to behold

Usually stuff you can only do at cons, so mostly panels. I also enjoy collecting business cards and playing "Name the Thing that Person is Cosplaying".
Shadowblade Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
victorious0702
Fan

victorious0702 is meh

I like watching concerts when good or at least decent bands are playing. Also investing my money in anime collectibles is also another pass time i do at cons.

victorious0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
AudriSampson

AudriSampson is meh

My favorite panel was done at ACen last year and was Called Sailor Squares. It was a Sailor Moon trivia contest played to the rules of Hollywood squares complete with all the Sailor Scouts (well except the Starlights). The panel was sooo awsomely done but I guess Im kinda biased since I got to play in a round and won it :)

AudriSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
G U R U
Fan

G U R U is meh

The Cosplay and AMV events are about it for me. Rest of time is spent cosplaying or buying stuff.

G U R U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
cj16bit

cj16bit is meh

I love going to the panels 2 of my favorite panels are
1.anime vs video games whis is a hilarious debate on which one is better
2.comic books vs manga since megacon is a comic book anime convention and this panel always gets full and gets hilarious discussions.

cj16bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
Force-A-Nature
Fan

Force-A-Nature is meh

Cosplaying.

♫♫♫♫ is so cash.

i play dat tee eff two

Force-A-Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #12
AshFangirlLisa
Biggest Ash fan ever

AshFangirlLisa is meh

My favorite things to do at anime conventions include:

- The dealer's room. I love buying all the Pokemon stuff I can get my hands on. xD
- Panels about voice acting in general
- "Q and A" panels with famous voice actors!! :D
- Autographs!!!! :D

In fact, I love going to anime conventions. Especially the big cons, which I find to be A LOT more fun. I went to New York Comic Con last year and it was amazing!! That was the most fun I've ever had at a convention!! <3

However, unfortunately, it's rare when I get to attend cons, because I usually don't have the money to travel. And that makes me sad... D:

Last edited by AshFangirlLisa; 06-26-2010 at 02:26 AM.
AshFangirlLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
Zero Gravity

Super-Fan

Zero Gravity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshFangirlLisa View Post
However, unfortunately, it's rare when I get to attend cons, because I usually don't have the money to travel. And that makes me sad... D:
Poor Panda!
-sneaks you in my guitar case-

But I like a variety of panels, some of them maybe be ERHEMAGERESTRITCEDCOUGHCOUGH!
But I also liked the "make your own plushie" panel, and I do enjoy watching Cosplay chess every now and then.

Zero Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh

Karaoke Lounge >__>;;
Tyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
SaiQ
RAWR!

SaiQ will become famous soon enough

I love Concerts!

It's great seeing famous j-artists performing live on stage.

SaiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
TehScribbles
Duel Wields Staplers

TehScribbles is meh

I like the random 18+ Panels. The 'Vampires don't sparkle' one was just awesome. AMV entries, Anime unscripted, the 'DYI cosplay tips' panels and Anime Industry panels. I'll go to random panels sometimes but for the most part I just hit the dealers room and empty out my pockets there.

TehScribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #17
TheNinja4759

TheNinja4759 is meh

Momocon and AWA... I missed Momocon this year, but I'm not missing AWA. I REFUSE to miss AWA
this year. I highly regret missing last years, in the way that I had someone paying for me to go, and, needless to say, it went to waste. But not this year, no sir. I'm going.

But to answer the question, Favorite events for me are the cosplay contests, and the panels. On a side note, I make a great Choji.. ;)
TheNinja4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #18
Elanora

Elanora is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja4759 View Post
Momocon and AWA... I missed Momocon this year, but I'm not missing AWA. I REFUSE to miss AWA
this year. I highly regret missing last years, in the way that I had someone paying for me to go, and, needless to say, it went to waste. But not this year, no sir. I'm going.

But to answer the question, Favorite events for me are the cosplay contests, and the panels. On a side note, I make a great Choji.. ;)
Cool, I'll be at AWA this year. I'll be sure to take pictures of every Choji I see so I make sure I get you!

My favorite event is the masquerade. I know that's not a rare thing, but it's the truth.

I've seen a couple of Improv masquerades, too. Basically you are given a scene prompt (and sometimes a particular prop to include) and a short amount of time to write and perform a script. Most con attendees are not good at improv comedy, but a few have been really good. I'm tempted to participate in one sometime - it looks like great fun!!
Elanora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
TheNinja4759

TheNinja4759 is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanora View Post
Cool, I'll be at AWA this year. I'll be sure to take pictures of every Choji I see so I make sure I get you!

My favorite event is the masquerade. I know that's not a rare thing, but it's the truth.

I've seen a couple of Improv masquerades, too. Basically you are given a scene prompt (and sometimes a particular prop to include) and a short amount of time to write and perform a script. Most con attendees are not good at improv comedy, but a few have been really good. I'm tempted to participate in one sometime - it looks like great fun!!
I just hope my hair grows back in time... >.> GAH! I need to get stuff ready.. :(
EDIT: VIC MIGNOGNA. /fangasm
Also.. do you know if any bands are gonna be there this year? Because I'm looking at the webbie, and I don't see anything yet..

Last edited by TheNinja4759; 07-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.
TheNinja4759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
grimdefeat

Fan

grimdefeat is on a distinguished road

down here the one thing i never miss is the anime dating game
they basically pull people cosplaying out of the audience and play the dating game with them
its a great time and hilarious every minute

grimdefeat is offline   Reply With Quote