Or Register
91.8 The Fan

Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh
Hi everyone!

Hi! I'm Sam,

I found 91.8 The Fan by sheer coincidence thanks to Twitter's suggested follow list!! Just love this concept of bringing anime, music, cons and more together into a one stop site. I want to show my support and meet other people who enjoy some of these interests!

I've love anime and collecting figures of my favorite characters. I first got into anime thanks to an old Chicago TV station in the 80's that had a Japanese show/anime afternoon block that played series like Spectreman, Ultraman, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, Starblazers and Tranzor Z. Eh yeah, I'm THAT old LMAO XD

Some of my favorite anime include (in no particular order): Angel Beats!, Rosario+Vampire, Eureka 7, Clannad, School Rumble!, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Code Geass, Spice and Wolf and Ghost in the Shell.

I love all kinds of music thanks to being a DJ in college for awhile. I started getting into Jpop, Jrock and anime soundtracks after I started watching Cowboy Bebop. Yoko Kanno blew my mind with her music and it just sort of expanded out from there. Now, I'm just as much of an anime music junkie as I am for anime itself!

I think I might apply for the weeknight "night owl" DJ position spot, if it's still available! Would be fun to get back into the groove again! =)

For fun I play the drums, produce AMV and music videos. Recently I started playing the bass thanks to some inspirational stories from Angel Beats! and Clannad/Clannad After Story.

My ultimate goal is to open my own studio for jam sessions. More importantly, to provide a place for people to play, practice, or maybe even be inspired to play music without worrying about if they can afford the price of studio time or even instruments. Lofty goal, but I hope I can achieve it! :D

Gah, sorry for the e-book! LOL XD

MakiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Hi everyone!

Thanks for joining the site. I've seen you've been responding to us on Twitter a lot, we really love that sort of thing so thanks for the support!

Just a note though, you might wanna read the rules concerning signature size as your siggy is a little bit on the big side.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Thanks!

Sorry about the sig. Fixing =)

Edit: Fixed my sig. I think.

Last edited by MakiMaki; 08-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
tombhex

tombhex is meh

good to see another person from the chicago area! if you ever want to get together to jam, i'm a bassist who's always looking for a drummer!

tombhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombhex View Post
good to see another person from the chicago area! if you ever want to get together to jam, i'm a bassist who's always looking for a drummer!
Awesome! I'm focusing more on my bass since I started playing a few months ago. But it would be awesome to change things up and get back behind the drums again! What kinds of music do you play?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Kayarath

The Biggest Troll on the website

Kayarath is on a distinguished road

You'll fit in just fine around here! Thanks for commenting on the 2012 Otakon cosplay gallery! It was a lot of work to take those pics so I'm glad you enjoyed them!
Kayarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayarath View Post
You'll fit in just fine around here! Thanks for commenting on the 2012 Otakon cosplay gallery! It was a lot of work to take those pics so I'm glad you enjoyed them!
Thanks! It's so cool seeing the work all of you put into this site. It's inspiring. Look forward to seeing pics from the next con you guys go to! =)

Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
tombhex

tombhex is meh

I mostly play heavy music and extreme genres of metal, but I'd really like to play some sort of unusual pop music or video game music! I'd REALLY like to play chiptune if it was possible. I've just never been able to find a band with people who wanted to play anything other than metal.

tombhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombhex View Post
I mostly play heavy music and extreme genres of metal, but I'd really like to play some sort of unusual pop music or video game music! I'd REALLY like to play chiptune if it was possible. I've just never been able to find a band with people who wanted to play anything other than metal.
I'm more into playing jpop and jrock, especially on my bass. I know what you mean about metal. LOL, I don't even think I can play the drums that fast anymore without tiring out after a few songs.

With chiptune it seems like you'd need a lot of synth and keyboards and A LOT of patience to put together a track without pulling your hair out! :D

Old 08-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road

Well met and welcome. (It's great to see so much activity around an introduction!)

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Bobby Henshin

Fan

Bobby Henshin is meh

Another ally in the fight for musical justice! It is good to have you here and i hope you have fun. now if you excuse me a chicken monster is attacking downtown Kyoto. I must be off! * jumps on motorcycle and rides off*

Bobby Henshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here! And good luck on your application should you decide to make it happen!

I am impressed by your ambitions and I hope you will be able to seem them through. The world needs more affordable spaces for artists to hone their skills. Hats off to you.

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
MakiMaki

Anime Monster

MakiMaki is meh

Thanks for the nice welcomes everyone!

I worked up the nerve to submit my application a few days ago. Had lots of fun just recording takes of the demo, mistakes and all! And doing a bunch of funny anime voices. Hope it works out, if not, no biggy, you never know unless you try! =)

Thanks Molly for the kind words. I still find it amazing that this inspiration started from something as simple as a song and story from an anime. Specifically My Song and Iwasawa's story from Angel Beats!. Music and stories speak differently to people I guess. I'm just so glad that Netflix suggested I watch Angel Beats! and whatever motivated me to click Play. I went in blind and came out with so many rewards!

I don't think I would have found 9.18 The Fan without this crazy motivation!! XD

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Cheflelouch
A man chooses, a slave obeys

Cheflelouch is meh

I cannot belive I miss to post here Well ether way

WELCOME hope you have lots of fun here

and another thing is the bigger your Dream is the more chances you have to make it happen mine is to make an anime Caffe where I can get all the people that love anime here in chicago

Proud to be MEXICAN

Cheflelouch is offline   Reply With Quote