View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Jubilee

Très Bien!

Jubilee will become famous soon enough
Re: Critique wanted!

First off, I must say I rather enjoyed the story for how short it was.
As a fellow writer, I admire how you portrayed a complex emotion we all feel [as writers] in such a short, little story. :)

There were just a few little things I would fix:

1) "Seeing your childhood home full of nothing but boxes and bare shelves leaves you with an empty feeling inside." - I was lost because of this sentence...I assume "your" is Lizzy, but the change of PoV makes it awkward.

2) "Everything was full of a layer of dust so thick" - I don't think that things can be "full" of a layer...I would just simply change "full" to covered or something of that sort.

3) (This is just a convention error...probably a typo) "“This is all junk anyway.” she mumbled as she" - The period should be a comma of course...just thought I would point it out...I am horrible with that typo, so I am always on the lookout for that in my own writings. =P

4) (Another conventional error) "when a box full of dusty, but colourful papers caught her eye." - I would put another comma in this sentence between "papers" and "caught," as it is descriptive yadda, yadda.

5) "a princess in a high castle tower while the knight fought a crudely drawn dragon" - I would put an verb after princess, like stood, waited, admired, etc.

6) " sword fights and princesses" - I would change this one since you already mentioned a princess in your list. Maybe flowers and rainbows or something. (Don't give me that look =P)

7) "Bidding goodbye to her old childhood home, childhood memories" - I would put something like "as well as" after home and before childhood.

Hope that helps! I really did like the story, and think that it has potential to win the contest you are entering, (especially if it is a 500 word story contest). It is easy to relate with if you are a writer. I wish ye the best of luck!

Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote