View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Lesserpawn

Lesserpawn is meh
Re: Short Story - Kartherine

Part 2

“Hi Dave here”
“Eh, hello David, eh it’s me, eh, Katharine.”
“K-Katharine? Hi it’s unusual for you to call me, not that I didn’t want you to call. In fact I was going to erm…what I mean is, erm, could I ask for a favour?”
“Eh, sure David”
“Could we meet up sometime today; I need a little help with my maths homework. You were always good at that and I was wondering if you’d help me.”
“Oh, sure, do you want to come to my place?”
“Could I? I mean if it’s okay?”
“Sure see ya”

Katharine put the phone down, not sure what it was she had learned. Her heart was racing, but her mind refused to get carried away. She had wanted to know if he liked her, but couldn’t ask. The three goddesses reappeared behind Katharine having watched the entire scene.

“So, there is a part of you that believes in us. Perhaps there is some hope for you”
“Isn’t it wonderful that he will be here soon? Now you only have to ask him.”
“That’s right; all you have to do is ask him. He’ll say yes for sure.”

“What are you doing here?” Katharine screamed, partly out of surprise but mostly out of embarrassment. This had been the first time she had called David even though she received his number years ago, the last thing she wanted was to have people listening in on such a call. Urd, undeterred by this latest outburst, proceed to describe what Katharine had to do next.

“All you need to do is ask him ‘do you like me?’ how hard can it be?”
“Believe in yourself”
“He’s here he’s here, I can hear him!”

Soon there was a knock on the door. Katharine slowly, tentatively approached and opened the door. It was David carrying a modern language textbook under his arm.

“Hi Katharine, thanks for helping me, I not sure who else would”
“Hello David, do you want to come in?”
“Thanks”

David walked into the main living area of the house and placed his textbook upon a small table before sitting down. Katharine, looking at the book for the first time, noticed it wasn’t related to mathematics. Her heart sank.

“I’m sorry David; I’m not very good at French. I’m not very good with languages.”
“Huh? Wait it’s the wrong book, sorry I’ll go get the maths book right now, I’ll be back-”
“Wait, eh, David, I wanted to ask you something.”
“Oh, I’m sorry Katharine; I forgot that it was you who called me. What was it you wanted to ask?”

She knew she shouldn't. It was foolish to say anything. She knew what his answer was going to be so there wasn't any point in asking.

“Do, do…do you like me? I mean more than a friend?”

Katharine turned away, one of the few people that she considered to be a friend would now never look at her in the same way. The feelings between them could never be the same. She closed her eyes and waited for him to say no.

‘Why did I listen to them? Why didn’t I stay silent?’

“Katharine, I didn’t know how to tell you that I do, I mean, I’ve always been in love with you, ever since I met you…”
“David... David I like you too”

David moved closer to her, placing his hands upon her shoulders. Katharine, who was now close to tears, looked up towards him.

“But why me? Why do you like me?”

“If I could grant you one wish, it would be for you to see yourself the way that others see you, then and only then would you realise how wonderful a person you really are. That sounded kinda cheesy, and probably too rehearsed, but it’s the way I feel. Also you can help me with my Maths homework, and I can help you with French. With us against the world they don’t stand a chance.”

Katharine, with a tear now formed in her eyes, looked longingly towards David. This was the first time she had felt this way before. This warm feeling deep inside that filled her from head to toe. David waved as he left to collect his Maths books. There was a spring in his step now, and his smile seemed different than before. Turning to see the three goddesses Katharine noticed they had disappeared.

“Huh, where are you, where did you go?”

“You idiot, we can only be seen by those who are unfortunate, don’t you remember?”
“You don’t need us anymore; you already have all you require”
“It was fun, see ya!”

“The three goddesses of fate; Urd, Verdandi and Skuld, I never said thank you did I? You’ve shown me the reason for living, and given me the strength to carry on. I owe you so much and yet can do so little. But I will keep on living, even when times are hard and it seems like I have nowhere to turn. I will always remember what you have taught me. For that I thank you, I thank you so dearly.”

The three goddesses stood together as they watch Katharine fade away. Soon she had disappeared completely from their sight. Urd was the first to speak.

“She no longer needs our help”
“She’s stronger than before; we don’t have to trouble her again.”
“I’m gonna miss her, she was more fun than most.”

Urd turned towards her two sisters.

“There are many more like her out there. We’ve still got a lot of work to do. Look over there; do you think we should help him?”

And so the story begins once again.

The end

Sorry about double posting, it's really bad form I know (especially from a newbie. Please forgive me - I won't do it again.)

Lesserpawn is offline   Reply With Quote