View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road
Re: I find the term weeaboo and Wapanese very offensive.

I'm not offended by what that guy said really. First off, he was clearly only referencing a stereotype of what he thinks apparently includes ALL fans of anime and such. I personally have never had any interest in Naruto and I like all types of seafood, particularly sushi and sashimi; California rolls are fake crab and actually pretty gross. XD

The thing is, like Kana said, there are many different types of fans and subsequently, we're all pretty much gonna be viewed by the one that stands out the most. I really don't care, I like what I like and I'm not changing that. My main interest in Japanese culture has never been anime or manga, it has always been music; that extends to Korea and other parts of Asia as well, but it is not limited to just Asia. I like music from all different countries (I guess that makes me a 'worldaboo'?). Music is an international language and his statement that we don't understand what they are saying is invalid. I've been interested in Japanese history and culture for almost my entire life. I began practicing Buddhism at a young age, which was also a major turning point for me as far as self awareness and lifestyle was concerned. Sure, music was my gateway drug into liking more of the Japanese scene, I mean, I really enjoyed the music coming out of there, why not check out what else they had to offer.

The thing that gets me about this particular guy, is that he pinned down Naruto mainly, claiming all anime is made for Japanese children. Well guess what, maybe some of us prefer the more story-oriented animations as opposed to slap-stick comedy of western shows. Again, it's all about each fan in particular. Fans of anything are gonna get hate from at least one person who doesn't understand or like that particular thing. The main thing as fans is to just accept these ignorant people for who they are and not let it bother you. Derogatory terms or not. It makes no difference in the end as long as you are happy with yourself and your interests. :3

Last edited by twillÿ; 11-29-2010 at 10:38 AM.
twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote