View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: I find the term weeaboo and Wapanese very offensive.

I understand it in a sense because like in all parts of geekdom there are those people who go way overboard. I don't mean to be insulting, but I understand why the word "Weeaboo" is used since there are people out there who claim to be the biggest anime fan despite only seeing a few episodes of DragonBall Z and Naruto. Then again, there's those people out there who are so detached from reality in the con-circuit where they think they are an anime character or they will literally gouge people's eyes out for insulting so-and-so character.

These are extremes. I think if "weeaboo" is used to describe extremes then I don't see a problem. Honestly, I'm more offended by people using the word "otaku" to describe themselves, but that's another tangent. As for Wapanese there are people out there who think Japan is amazing just due to the animation, which is a little closed minded. There's so much to culture besides just the cartoons on their TV, and the description is based on people who are earnestly being idiotic. No, you don't need to live in Japan to want to go there or have a conception that it is the best; however, you do need to have some back-up to those thoughts instead of baseless assumptions. Like with all things, these terms are essentially our American version of "otaku" IE to describe the bad in a sub-genre like anime.

There are good anime fans, bad anime fans, and then there are weird anime fans. This exists whether it's video games, comics, etc and previously those people are just described as nerds or geeks. Those terms have evolved and being a nerd and/or geek is sorta considered cool now, so to counter there are now bad words to describe it. For anime fandom it is "weeaboo" and "wapanese" which seems pretty sensible to me.

Sure, it might not be nice, but there's negatives to everything.

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote