View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
Kanashimi

Moe Maid

Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND! Kanashimi is OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!
Re: Anime Over - Anime & Manga Ban Passes

I've been waiting for the Sankaku article and reading comments over at ANN. Someone brought up an interesting point and I'd like to put it here, too. Obviously many of us are scared about fan-service and what not, but not many people have begun to think about how violence and crimes have such a huge place in anime storytelling as well.

For instance, let's take Death Note... wouldn't the murder and all the laws broken in that show be a good idea of what to expect? When you think of how well Death Note was received by fans and casual viewers alike, it worries me with how the public is going to determine what shows are good and what aren't. Gems like Death Note will literally be that needle in the haystack if it's hard to get a hold of and wasn't able to be shown on TV. A lot of series will be surviving on DVD sales, which is quite worrisome considering DVD cost up to $70 or more in Japan.

I said this in IRC, but this could turn out to be a good thing for other regions. DVDs will be easier to get of said material here than the home country. The problem is, despite how we frown against fansubbing, a lot of publishing/dubbing companies here in the US look at a series popularity before picking it up; however, a lot of shows won't be broadcasted and we'll have to wait for their release to DVD. Considering this, we might also see a slow down of all titles, and receive more general ones unless US anime companies decide to scan for shows more seriously.

Food for thought honestly, it was just something that came to mind and could change in so many years. I'm earnestly worried since despite the fact I do approve of censorship, I don't approve in this form that essentially takes away freedom. Yes, I do believe that things should have a rating, but ratings can hurt material in such a way. We'll see how it works in Japan for the ultimate effect, but from what I know not a lot of stores sell that material or the shy culture of Japan might not want to be seen in said stores. Correct me if I'm wrong please~

Kanashimi is offline   Reply With Quote