View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
soundbreaker
Ask An Australian

soundbreaker is on a distinguished road
Re: Lost Someone Important?

A couple years ago, my DJ jumped in front of a train when his girlfriend dumped him. He was bi-polar, so he had his up-days and his down-days, and she just happened to do it on a downer. This guy wasn't your regular cut-and-mix DJ, his brain worked in ways which made you look at tracks from entirely different angles. He would dissect samples and rhythms, find out what they were made of, then put them back together in such a fashion that they were no longer music, but more an art form. And he would do all this without structure. He worked organically, if that makes sense. We always looked forward to his next track.
He was a good friend, and always encouraged everyone around him because he saw potential in us that we ourselves didn't. He encouraged me to look off the beaten path when searching for inspiration, and not to fall into mainstream patterns, and ever since he passed, whenever I make a track I try to adhere to that. Music was a major part of our lives, and still is for me. My musical side is better from having known him, and to this day I appreciate him for that.
soundbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote