View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #26
Tyto

Doesn't give a hoot

Tyto is meh
Re: What Anime has freaked you out?

There really aren't any freaky anime out there. For some of the more obvious reasons concerning standards for public broadcasting, none of the graphic manga ever get animated, and of all the graphically explicit titles out there most are just cheap guro slashers reaching out at a shallow niche interest group. A few toned down titles have gotten by on poorly written melodrama and stylized violence in favor of truly brutal imagery: cheap sensationalized garbage like Higurashi and Elfin Lied.

The closest thing to disturbing me without crossing the border into sexual gross outs might be MPD Psycho, and even that was really just squick factor. Not to mention it was a pretty bold leap in pushing content limits in a shounen magazine back in the 90s. I'll never understand who in Shounen Ace's editorial department thought it was a good idea in the first place.

But if we count X-rated squick overload as fair grounds though there are quite a number of independent adult titles I could name that've rattled my cage the first time through. Still, even those kinds of things are pretty easy to get used to.
Tyto is offline   Reply With Quote