View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
SaiQ
RAWR!

SaiQ will become famous soon enough
Re: Anime Expo 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I'm still not at a point where I'll return to AnimeExpo, but glad you had a good time. That's quite a hefty cosplay project for your first one. I'm horrible at prop making, but glad you were able to get the hang of it. Seemed like you had a lot of fun!
Thanks Kana!

Yeah, I was ambitious in my first cosplay project. In hindsight, I should have started with something easy like Mass Effect armor before I tackle a full armored costume. I wouldn't have completed this costume in time if it weren't for Henrik Pilerud's advice and build pictures. Word of advice to anyone cosplaying for the very first time, don't do what I did. Start small and let experience build on itself!

I'm also terrible at prop making, but Pepakura Designer software makes it really easy for a novice. It doesn't take a lot of tools to build a foam costume. The structure support and joints however requires basic knowledge of physics and use of metal brackets, washers, nuts, and screws. Nothing complex really.

Anime Expo's attendance annually increases by the thousands, so if you don't like crowded conventions or long lines for events, AX wouldn't suit your taste. It is annoying that Masquerade and concerts were charged individually and parking for the convention center increased from $5 to $20. However, I can see why given how much it costs to rent out LACC and Club Nokia. South Hall was also closed after hours (reduce rent?). Only staff or those who needed to access the parking garages were permitted. Lack of air conditioning in South Hall was also a problen, but that's due to the large crowd's combined body heat being too much for the lobby's cooling system to handle.

-SaiQ

SaiQ is offline   Reply With Quote