View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
twillÿ
Banhammer'd

twillÿ is on a distinguished road
Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender, Anime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimi View Post
I feel like if Avatar is accepted as an anime, then you might as well accept Johnny Bravo (USA), My Gym Partner Is A Money, Drama Island (Canadian), etc. We have a word for those things though already, it's called cartoons.

These are just my beliefs though.
Yeah, if Johnny Bravo and My Gym Partner Is A Monkey actually had a story maybe. I think I draw the line differently because I see American cartoons as slapstick and pointless, whereas anime usually has a defined story and fleshed out characters who aren't all just for giggles. Most of the anime that I've seen typically have some sort of story and follow some sort of linear path. You can watch any five episodes of Johnny Bravo in any order and not be lost, but if you miss any episodes of an anime or show with anything remotely resembling a plot, like Avatar, you will be.

I agree with what you said that I didn't highlight, because no, in a nutshell, Avatar is not an anime and is commonly generalized as one because of the art style and setting. It was America's attempt at anime and I think it worked out well. I guess what I'm saying is Avatar could of been straight of Japan, essentially, where Johnny Bravo, would never of been. Like I said, it is a mutt. I'll personally consider it one, but not everyone is going to.

twillÿ is offline   Reply With Quote