View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Mollybibbles

Tombé, Pas de bourée, Glissade, JETÉ!!

Mollybibbles is on a distinguished road
Re: Who's your hero?

Martha Graham is one of the foremost modern dance pioneers who's dancing and choreographic career lastest from the mid 1920's until the day she died in April 1991. Having choreographed countless works over her time, she endured her share of critics picking apart her bizarre style of movement. She pulls inspiration from strange topics of greek tradgedies and myths that we all think we knew and pulls them into her dance in a way that seems unworldly. When ever I need some direction, feeling lost or unheard I watch her piece, Heretic or Steps in the Street because they deal with the feminist movement or the ordeal of trying to become heard in a sea of voice, but by far my favorite Graham work would be Diversion of Angels and her take on the story of Joan of Arc, Seraphic Dialogue.
She's a beautiful, strong woman who defied ballet and inspired many apiring artists in any field with her intriguing words of wisdom. Not only that but her birthday is a day after mine!! (I'm such a fangirl) When ever I need artistic direction I think of her influence on the art world.

Mollybibbles is offline   Reply With Quote