View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
nerdwerld

Raptor Writer

nerdwerld is meh
Re: I find the term weeaboo and Wapanese very offensive.

[QUOTE=Kanashimi;23282

I'm more offended by people using the word "otaku" to describe themselves, but that's another tangent.

There are good anime fans, bad anime fans, and then there are weird anime fans. This exists whether it's video games, comics, etc and previously those people are just described as nerds or geeks. Those terms have evolved and being a nerd and/or geek is sorta considered cool now, so to counter there are now bad words to describe it. For anime fandom it is "weeaboo" and "wapanese" which seems pretty sensible to me.

Sure, it might not be nice, but there's negatives to everything.[/QUOTE]

Nerd, geek, and even otaku all have bad connatation (for various reasons and that fact that I don't want to go into a tangent)

That argument that there are good anime fans, weird anime fans, and bad anime fans is what I'm trying to state is your grouping various non-japanese subcultures and people together and the guy is attacking our interest in japanese culture, and it isn't a small phenomenon unfortunately.

As fans we will always be attacked by the outsiders who don't understand us this is a fact of life. Words evolve over time, and that is what is happening with some of the older words like nerd, geek, and even otaku, hikkimori and the more offensive words... but i promised I wouldn't go on the tangent. I promised.

In the video the guy attacked various subcultures, but particularly the anime fan culture. The word wapanese is actually much broader and allies to myself in particular becuase I don't just like anime, manga, and jrock/jpop. I like godzilla, akira kurasawa, japanese history, japanese underground punk and metal, and architecture, and even literature (or the historical variety). "weeaboo" was meant originally to marginalize wapanese and their are believe it or not various small subcultures dedicated to the things I just said. It unfairly groups the bad anime fans with the good ones, the anime fans with the godzilla fans, the japanese history buffs with the hikkamori. It isn't fair at all.

nerdwerld is offline   Reply With Quote