View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Elk

Mark from Canada

Elk has disabled reputation
Re: I got a very interesting Skype spam overnight

I think the idea of marriage, and exclusive relationships to be a spillover from judeochristian moralisms, that have seeped into every pore of our society, and solidified.

But I have to agree, that if you take a vow to be loyal to one person, and you break that vow dishonestly, then you're a terrible person, though to be willing to do so, you must be unhappy yourself.

But if you're in a relationship, I could understand how having a conversation about keeping the relationship open could be a very scary thing to do, as many people do have a solid believe that monogamy is perfectly natural (and of course it is, there are other animals that mate for life), and that because of that polygamy is inherantly immoral, or wrong.

My personal belief that being open about polygamy can be just as healthy as monogamy, if not more so, because you aren't fooling yourself into this idea that love is a singular entity that can only be held for one person. It's a very romantic ideal, but unrealistic. Of course it CAN be a singular concept, there are many people that fall in love once and never fall in love again, even if their spouse leaves them, or passes on. But again, going back to the monogamy/polygamy point, love can be a thing between more than 2 people, and this is seen very often in media, ESPECIALLY in manga/anime. EVERY shoujo manga is about a girl who is stuck between two guys she is in love with, and because of these monogamous social norms is forced to choose one of them. Same with most shounen with any romance to them, especially harem manga of course.

Of course when it comes to love, it is always a personal emotional belief. You can't factor in logic. Which is why it astounds me how pervasive the social norms we have are. It's scary how much pop. media has ingrained these notions of relationships into the masses.

tl;dr
cheaters are slime.
open relationships are just as valid as closed ones.
love is a personal thing.

Elk is offline   Reply With Quote