View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
moonhawk81

Wandering Witch

moonhawk81 is on a distinguished road
Re: Man arrested for Pokemon Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan Mist View Post
lol, I didn't intend to sound arrogant or angry, I was just trying to emphasize the fact that these are POKEMON we are speaking about, to make sure we're on the same page :P

It would be like if those people standing outside the Barnes and Noble bookstores got arrested for shouting out spoilers to the Harry Potter books. Where does the line between freedom of speech and copyright infringement begin?
Sorry, not at all the same. In your example, the material has already been released into the market for public consumption. A "leak" is--by definition--material that has not been officially released. Thus, acknowledging the information to be owned by an entity, its leak is effectively theft.

Simply, I write poetry. But for the last three years I have been unable to submit any for publication because the government entity for which I worked, being a Federally-funded research facility, claimed as intellectual property the ideas and creations of all of its employees. Now that I've left their employ, I must still be careful during submission not to date any materials from this period. Not that they'd care about poetry specifically, but if someone had an axe to grind I might find myself sued--for my own verse!

moonhawk81 is offline   Reply With Quote