91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anime (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do you buy your anime DVDs as boxsets or volumes? (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442)

CantStrafeRight 01-13-2010 11:35 AM

Do you buy your anime DVDs as boxsets or volumes?

Most of my anime DVDs are individual volumes rather than boxsets, because although they take up more shelf space, I've usually found them to be cheaper because people don't want them once the boxsets are out.

Kanashimi 01-13-2010 11:50 AM

Re: Do you buy your anime DVDs as boxsets or volumes?

Most of my anime now are single volumes, but buying in bulk is always better for my wallet. So I'd like to buy boxsets more often.

victorious0702 01-13-2010 12:39 PM

If i can wait ill do boxset if its something epic ill do single volumes because they come with bonus stuff at times.

Kate 01-13-2010 01:08 PM

I buy both. It saves a lot of money if you just buy the boxset, though.

bemused_Bohemian 01-13-2010 01:16 PM

Depends. Certain vendors hold sales 4x/yr and discounted box sets are less pricey than interval released DVD at time of series intro into our hot little mits. I like quality production as much as the next person but I will let price be a determiner if series is re-released: original set collector price versus "anime legends" newbie price. I will buy individual DVD when available if multi-dvd series is OOP; though time-consuming sometimes it's less costly to shop the electronic venues (ebay, Amazon, etc) and slowly assemble the set versus capitulate and pay commoditized collector price (which, once opened for viewing, is no longer "worth" what you paid for it).

TheGreatMoof 01-13-2010 02:35 PM

It really depends. Box-sets are nice for older shows or for saving money, but some newer releases I'll just get individual discs rather than wait for a box. For instance, I got all of Higurashi, Code Geass and Haruhi as individual discs but I've got Evangelion: Platinum, Infinite Ryvius and Escaflowne in big glorious boxes.

dbull620 01-13-2010 04:00 PM

I always get box sets to save money. Sure is hard to wait for boxsets to come out sometimes though...

Oni 01-13-2010 04:03 PM

Boxsets, due to them saving shelf space.

chefofdeath 01-14-2010 09:53 AM

but sometimes box sets cost more than singles but i would rather get box sets

christmas4477 01-14-2010 10:01 AM

I've got mostly boxsets, but I do have a few series that I got as volumes, because they never made a boxset. Funimation seems to love the boxsets now.

G U R U 01-16-2010 01:13 AM

Depends. Sometimes the singles are cheaper and sometimes the boxsets are cheaper so whatever is cheapest is what I get XD I could really care less about all the little junk they throw in the special edition sets most of the time. Postcards and the like are useless.

Shin_No_Kokoro 01-16-2010 04:17 PM

Usually box sets since they come with figure or other fun stuff collectibles

Elc1247 01-18-2010 04:50 AM

box sets are the way to go for me, since i hate missing volumes, plus, its much cheaper for the box set, you just loose out a bit on overall content, but that missed content is only physical.
I only buy cheap boxsets of series i love or have heard amazing things about, i just recently bought a boxset of the first 3 seasons of The Slayers for $50USD. my first and most treasured box set is Outlaw Star, followed closely by Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

fightbait 02-22-2010 05:10 AM

I tend to prefer the box sets because they're cheaper and take up less shelf space. I especially love the way they've been packaging boxes lately--thinpaks, multiple discs in one DVD box, etc.

ace8489 02-22-2010 10:51 AM

I buy whatever I can get my hands on at the time but I perfer to buy the boxset over individual DVDs

Sheep 03-01-2010 05:53 PM

It really depends on the series for me

I own the volume release boxset of Pani Poni Dash! (ADV copy) which contains all 6 volumes with the extras retained at the first release (ADV notes, interviews with the cast, ect)

I own volume 1 of Hayate the Combat butler! (waiting for Bandai to lower the price before I buy more)

Everything else is in half season / full season box sets.

Tempest Wind 03-01-2010 07:27 PM

The vast majority of my anime collection is box sets. The only problem is that you don't get those fun extras, like the side notes in Excel Saga, or the bonus episode in .hack//SIGN.

Then again, I own all of Ruroni Kenshin on VHS, so.....

machetecat 03-16-2010 05:32 PM

Depends on the show. I like collector stuff and artboxes, so if the singles are sold with one of those, I'll go with that. I'm also impatient, so if I like a series a lot, I'll collect the singles as they come out.

However, if a certain show is particularly long or if it seems like an "eh" title, I'll wait for the boxset. Though with the way companies are selling their shows nowadays, it seems like the way of the singles are dying.

Mollybibbles 03-17-2010 07:45 AM

I can't afford box sets or individual volumes. Though I'm saving my spending money for the Princess Tutu box set. Back when the VHS was still cool I would buy the pokemon episodes on tape.

TehScribbles 03-17-2010 09:35 AM

I try to get box sets, since I hate having only a few volumes mismatching.