91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Japanese food (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226)

Leviathan Mist 08-07-2010 02:06 PM

Japanese food

I'm going to the Japanese market next week, and I'd like some suggestions on what food to buy. Also, discuss Japanese food in this thread. :D

Kanashimi 08-07-2010 02:13 PM

Re: Japanese food

I got a chance to try "mochi" ice cream at Anime Makiba, and it was so weird that I wasn't sure what I thought until way after I tried it. The best way I can describe it is like ice cream dough, it tasted good if you like sweet things, but it was just so odd. I think I'm more fascinated with it than anything, but if you get a chance to try it I suggest it.

I'm not sure if this would be something commonly sold at a Japanese store, there's not many in my area so I don't know.

Leviathan Mist 08-07-2010 02:18 PM

I'll look for it. Last time I went, I got a small tub of green tea ice cream, and I loved it! I'm gonna have to get a bigger tub this time. I also love Japanese milk tea.

ZshadowX 08-07-2010 02:30 PM

Beef Bowl you know from yoshinoya
or gyūdon, oh god they are sooo good, let see its a bowl of rice topped with beef and onion simmered in a sauce
~ be nice

twillÿ 08-07-2010 03:43 PM

Dango.

That is all. #nofighting

Cameron 08-07-2010 03:53 PM

Pocky! Raman! Sushi! All the stuff you have all the time! NOTHING NEW OR GOOD!

But really, Pocky. Get the strawberry kind! Or the milk kind! Really good they are...

Leviathan Mist 08-07-2010 04:04 PM

I've never tried dango, but judging from its wikipedia article, it looks tasty. That beef bowl also sounds good. I'm hungry now.

You can get Pocky and sushi at any supermarket these days, I don't necessarily have to go to a Japanese specialty market for those... but I must admit, the strawberry Pocky IS the best kind.

ClearMetalVoltar 08-07-2010 05:05 PM

sadly the onlt japanese food ive ever tasted is the maruchan noodles that i buy ingredients for to try to emulate authentic ramen. theres no japanese restruants around here either. all chinese :(

Cerulaine 08-07-2010 05:29 PM

Chocolate Pocky is the best, don't listen to Cameron! XD

moonhawk81 08-07-2010 06:35 PM

Hey, I don't know the name, but my imouto Sawa sent me some rice crackers back in March that are traditionally made and eaten for Hina-Matsuri, a girls' festival celebrated on 03 March (at least this year). They were colored and slightly flavored, and quite good. As for the Pocky, my kids actually prefer Yan-Yan, whatever the flavor.

chefofdeath 08-08-2010 05:35 AM

well it all depends on what ur want to eat u can go with sushi ..... some udon which is great if prepared right ..... tampura vegies ...... or some tonkatsu pork which is nice with some rice ..... i got a few japanese cook books so if u want i can give u some recipes just let me know

ScrumYummy 08-08-2010 09:36 AM

I love those crunchy rice/sea-weed snacks that are flavored with tamari (soy sauce). So gooooood <3

I don't really make a lot of japanese food at home though. There's a sushi or a curry house on practically every block where I live, so I just go out for it.

Leviathan Mist 08-08-2010 09:02 PM

Oh em gee...I can't believe I forgot about Yakisoba! Last time I went to a Japanese restaurant, I scarfed down about 5 plates of that stuff - and I usually don't eat very much at all.

chefofdeath 08-21-2010 10:23 PM

Anyone Drink or know of any good sakes i ve had quite a few but i am still on the hunt for other great styles of sake..... so far ive had Dewazakura Oka , Meibo Yowano Tsuki, and Masumi Okuden Kantsukuri

Leviathan Mist 08-22-2010 10:26 AM

I don't drink sake, but I picked up some more milk tea and green tea ice cream yesterday. Also got some Aloe, that stuff is surprisingly good... and of course, strawberry Pocky.

chefofdeath 08-22-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan Mist (Post 18724)
I don't drink sake, but I picked up some more milk tea and green tea ice cream yesterday. Also got some Aloe, that stuff is surprisingly good... and of course, strawberry Pocky.

heh are u old enough to drink ?

Leviathan Mist 08-22-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefofdeath (Post 18728)
heh are u old enough to drink ?

Of course, I just don't like alcoholic drinks in general :P

chefofdeath 08-22-2010 06:27 PM

I find that to be sad ..... have u given them a chance its not like the whole world drinks to get wasted ...... like my self i drink to chill when i am at a party or at a pool house drinking and hangin out

Leviathan Mist 08-22-2010 07:27 PM

I sure have. I don't like the taste of alcohol, and it makes me feel ill when I drink it. I'm not one of those staunch anti-alcohol freaks, so don't get the wrong idea. Other people can drink all they want, I don't care. However, it's my personal choice not to drink, there's nothing sad about that.

chefofdeath 08-22-2010 09:37 PM

i get what ur saying but as a chef not being able to eat or drink something just makes me sad is all i am not trying to force u to drink just wanted to know is all