91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Manga (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [Spoilers] ULTIMO by Hiroyuki Takei and Stan Lee (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3125)

Zero Gravity 03-30-2013 12:40 PM

ULTIMO by Hiroyuki Takei and Stan Lee

I recently picked this series up on my Viz account. I remember the series having an interesting start, but I never picked it up because... for one, they took it out of the monthly Jump issues after half a volume, and secondly, I had no money to invest into the series itself.
Jump ahead four years and I'm currently caught up with the series (currently incomplete as of March 30th, 2013).

Let me just say, I LOVE this manga. You can tell immediately from the beginning that it's a Stan Lee work. If your familiar with Jump work, you'll notice the art immediately as Hiroyuki Takei, the artist behind Shaman King.
In short, it's about an mad scientist, named Roger Dunstan, who creates mechanical dolls call Karakuri Dôji (Doji for short), each one embedded with a different trait and ability, the trait of each Doji are represented by either a Seven Deadly Sin (Jeleousy, Rage, Lust, etc) or a Perfection (Patience, Wisdom, Love, etc), Dunstan's plan? The Hundred Machine Funeral, to determine which is stronger, good, or evil?
The purest of all good Doji, Ultimo and his master must defeat the foulest of all evil Doji, Vice and his master.
Starring as Roger Dunstan is Stan Lee who wishes he was THAT fit :P
Before I get into my thoughts on the series, I want to know who else has read this? Who are your favorite characters, favorite moments.

Excelsior!

Cheflelouch 03-30-2013 11:08 PM

Re: ULTIMO by Hiroyuki Takei and Stan Lee

I began to read it as soon as it came out and I own the copies that show the chapter zero of shonen jump, but I never had the chance to buy the volumes

Zero Gravity 04-01-2013 08:19 AM

I have all 8 volumes in digital format (My Viz account), and I wouldn't mind a physical copy.
I absolutely adore the covers, despite how simple they are

Cheflelouch 04-01-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Gravity (Post 35833)
I have all 8 volumes in digital format (My Viz account), and I wouldn't mind a physical copy.
I absolutely adore the covers, despite how simple they are

I would probably buy them if I have the chance on the next con I go to

Zero Gravity 04-01-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheflelouch (Post 35840)
I would probably buy them if I have the chance on the next con I go to

Here's hoping for some at a swap meet

Cheflelouch 04-02-2013 01:14 AM

But you know zero what I love most about this manga "Roger Dunstan" is the personification of Stan Lee in the manga

Zero Gravity 04-02-2013 07:08 AM

That is absolutely the best part of the manga, that he's this god like figure with unstoppable powers who can do and knows everything. It's just so nerdy, I love it

Cheflelouch 04-21-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Gravity (Post 35860)
That is absolutely the best part of the manga, that he's this god like figure with unstoppable powers who can do and knows everything. It's just so nerdy, I love it

And not only that zero after a serch a few animes here and there I found that stan Lee make afew other aparisons like in Heroman as the old man is the coffe shop

Zero Gravity 04-26-2013 11:04 AM

I saw that, Heroman is slightly under rated. Stan Lee, king of cameos

Cheflelouch 04-26-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Gravity (Post 36103)
I saw that, Heroman is slightly under rated. Stan Lee, king of cameos

I know I saw that anime and I like it but many people did not like it don't now why

nerdwerld 04-29-2013 08:01 PM

I heard about this, never actually picked it up. I'm more of a Marvel guy than DC, and love Stan Lee has done with Marvel, so I don't know why I didn't ever get interested in it. I'm like you Zero, I saw the series originally in Monthly Shonen Jump.

Zero Gravity 05-10-2013 08:40 PM

I'm so utterly agitated that there is no release date for Volume 9... or an expected release date for Volume 10 in Japan (as to gauge when it might come out in America.

Mange isn't my main thing, so I have no idea how the life of manga works (meaning I don't know how often a volume releases)