91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Manga (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Some people just don't get manga... (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404)

FFHellDragon 01-11-2010 12:22 PM

Some people just don't get manga...

I was reading it today and my best friend said:
" WHY IS IT NOT IN COLOUR?!"
Me: (too lazt to explain)
"CAUSE IT JUST THE WAY IT IS!"
Best friend:
"COLOUR IT!"
Me:
NO WAY! NO NO NO NOOOO WAY!"
Best friend:
"LET ME THEN!"
Me:
"HELL NO MATE!"
Best friend:
"Then its just stupid....."
Me:
*Growls*

And shes not the only one who does this..

Theres also the classic "How can you read it backwards? its too weird..."

XIamSogekingX 01-11-2010 12:31 PM

Re: Some people just don't get manga...

There are a few groups on Youtube who actually go in and color the pages of Manga and post them up. It's neat seeing them like that, but I don't mind if they are in black and white.

FFHellDragon 01-11-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 4502)
There are a few groups on Youtube who actually go in and color the pages of Manga and post them up. It's neat seeing them like that, but I don't mind if they are in black and white.

Yea, seen them and its pretty cool.

But i prefer the book in front of you :)

Zero Gravity 01-11-2010 12:36 PM

I don't see the issue, whats the big deal if it has color? It's a graphic novel, not a comic book

XIamSogekingX 01-11-2010 12:37 PM

Some people just can't accept another cultures way of doing things. You should atleast give it a try...atleast

Kate 01-11-2010 12:52 PM

People in my school don't complain about that. They complain that you have to read from right-to-left.

FFHellDragon 01-11-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate (Post 4518)
People in my school don't complain about that. They complain that you have to read from right-to-left.

Yea only my best friend complains about no colour.

But like you said they only complain about the right to left!

Oni 01-11-2010 03:47 PM

Your friend obviously doesn't read comics much, does he? Well, at least not past the first couple of pages anyway.

Shin_No_Kokoro 01-11-2010 03:54 PM

Honestly manga is the esscense of my life, without it id have to read actual books during psycology class T_T

XIamSogekingX 01-11-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin_No_Kokoro (Post 4689)
Honestly manga is the esscense of my life, without it id have to read actual books during psycology class T_T

Indeed. Without it, I might have to actually do my homework now, instead of just pushing it off till the morning it's due.

FFHellDragon 01-12-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 4708)
Indeed. Without it, I might have to actually do my homework now, instead of just pushing it off till the morning it's due.

Ditto xD

ImagineBreaker 01-12-2010 03:13 AM

My friends just think "Books? the hell man?"
i just instantly say "ITS MANGA, NOT ~BOOKS~ DAMIT!"
even though i secretly enjoy the book or two..

christmas4477 01-12-2010 06:10 AM

I used to always get the backwards comment, but eventually they either stopped caring, or they figured out that it was just how it worked. I went to school with the social equivalent of internet trolls, so I just ignored them half the time

DJ M.O.T.D 01-13-2010 05:46 AM

All of my friends are otaku or geeks of some kind.
So i don't "usually" get this problem. I do get funny looks when i read it in a train or bus or anything.
But i get that when i read a normal book. so meh.

I don't "mind" people like that though. To me they are kinda cute.
i once said to a guy "It's in black and white cos the world that the current characters are in there is an absence of colour... Think of it like a monochrome universe" and he just said "Oh... okay"

chefofdeath 01-13-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Gravity (Post 4505)
I don't see the issue, whats the big deal if it has color? It's a graphic novel, not a comic book

heres to the old school

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ndIronFist.jpg

victorious0702 01-13-2010 01:13 PM

Manga isnt in color because it would take too long to color in the pages i think, a lot of mangakas already have to bust out 1 chapter a week and also that is the way it has been since the beginning of time so dont question it and be happy because sometimes the first couple of pages are color.

XIamSogekingX 01-13-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorious0702 (Post 5436)
Manga isnt in color because it would take too long to color in the pages i think, a lot of mangakas already have to bust out 1 chapter a week and also that is the way it has been since the beginning of time so dont question it and be happy because sometimes the first couple of pages are color.

Indeed, it started out with no color and it just kept with tradition and I think it does well for itself for not being in color.

Shadowblade Edge 01-14-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIamSogekingX (Post 5443)
Indeed, it started out with no color and it just kept with tradition

No it isn't. It's not a tradition thing, it's a time/money thing. If the manga industry could figure out a way to crank out colored pages reliably they probably would.

Force-A-Nature 01-14-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowblade Edge (Post 5642)
No it isn't. It's not a tradition thing, it's a time/money thing.

Yeah, some artists don't even have enough time to draw backgrounds *cough*KUBO*cough*

The main complaint I always get from peeps is the usual "this is girly" "he looks constipated" "why's this so violent" etc.

Kinda annoying how people can generalize about a manga too. Obviously they're all about sword fighting martial artists or pantsu shots and tits.

XIamSogekingX 01-14-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowblade Edge (Post 5642)
No it isn't. It's not a tradition thing, it's a time/money thing. If the manga industry could figure out a way to crank out colored pages reliably they probably would.

Indeed but going with black and white and keeping with it can still be seen as a traditional thing, just like how grandma likes to break out the old china during christmas when we could just go get some new ones to use. Even if we didn't have the money to get some, her china is still thought of as a traditional thing.

Anyways you're right, it's about what is cheaper to produce. Some people can't even get a colored yearbook because they can't spring enough money.

There would also have to be alot of surveying and marketing info about how people would re act to having mangas printed in color from now on and if people would rather just have them not colored.