91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feedback (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   No two people say the site name the same way (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527)

CantStrafeRight 01-23-2010 07:19 PM

No two people say the site name the same way

This is probably just me nitpicking and it probably doesn't bother anyone else.
It feels like there are about 4 different ways of saying the name of the site and when you hear 3 in the space of a minute its confusing and annoying ( to me at least).

for example I've heard the site called:

Nine One Eight The Fan
Ninety One Eight The Fan
Nine One Point Eight The Fan
Ninety One Point Eight The Fan.

Sandgolem 01-23-2010 07:54 PM

Re: No two people say the site name the same way

They are all correct! :3 but for the most part Ninety One Eight The Fan

Rocco 01-23-2010 08:04 PM

I prefer 918 the fan, it just flows better...

Oni 01-23-2010 09:33 PM

I use 'Ninety-One Point Eight, The Fan'.

Why? It's come from listening to the radio. That is how they say it out in radio land, after all.

Rocco 01-23-2010 10:43 PM

Really? All of the radio stations here omit the "point"

Oni 01-23-2010 10:47 PM

All the FM radio stations here include the point.

Rocco 01-23-2010 11:00 PM

It must be a southern hemisphere thing... Like how our summer is your winter

Oni 01-23-2010 11:02 PM

"Like how our Fall is your Autumn" would have been a better analogy, but anyway...

Rocco 01-23-2010 11:04 PM

No, some people use the word Autumn here as well.

Oni 01-23-2010 11:17 PM

/facepalms

The point of the analogy is that, on calenders of even in speech, we in the Southern Hemisphere never use 'Fall'. It's not a British thing.

Thus, it fits in with your "must be a southern hemisphere thing". Using the Summer and Winter thing is pretty much saying everything is the opposite. Ninety-One Point Eight isn't the opposite to Nine One Eight, it's a different way of saying it, like Fall and Autumn.

Why do I bother? Just call me an ♫♫♫ and move on.

Kanashimi 01-23-2010 11:30 PM

Oni, just calm down, lol.

I think a lot of the variation originally stemmed from the bumps we collected two years prior to the actual radio launching. You see, actors will only give you so much time and as such it is hard to correct me on a lot of things (thus instead of you're tuned in they say listening to or watching).

Not only that, the clarification isn't needed since we're not on a FM/AM radio. "The Fan" is essentially the important part. Obviously if we ever branch to a FM/AM format or satellite radio then we will need to clarify that it is "Ninety One POINT Eight". Though right now it is sort of impossible to ask a lot of voice actors/industry people to redo their bumps, redo promos, and drill it constantly into the DJs brains (as in have someone listening twenty-four seven and cracking the whip). I don't see it as a major problem until we're on actual radio.

Also, most people can look at the logo for clarification as well, which we happen to shove into your face quite a bit on the site. Though believe me, I do like uniform, but there's so much more I can think of that has priority over this (no offense).

Oni 01-23-2010 11:37 PM

In other words, technically, this site is called "The Fan".

91.8 would be our "broadcasting signal" that needs to be tuned into.

A Digital Radio Station would be nice, however that would require an HQ, hundreds of thousands of dollars and the such. Unless you can find an old, beat down radio station, buy it up for cheap and then renovate it and change the tower to one that can broadcast a digital signal. xP

Rocco 01-24-2010 07:42 AM

My bad Oni, I misunderstood you, that it a better analogy.

Chris 01-24-2010 08:01 AM

I found this thread interesting, because I never actually hear a radio station say the "point" in their station title, it's interesting how that varies elsewhere. Here we have 103.1 Fresh FM (one-oh-three-one Fresh FM) or 91.5 The Beat (Ninety-One Five The Beat) or even 95.9 which actually call themselves FM96. All radio stations do it differently, and it's all a matter of the personal station's preferance.

As far as The Fan goes, I much prefer Nine-one-eight over the other three, but it's based on what I'm used to hearing.

And then there's AM which doesn't follow the point format at all.. AM 640, AM 590, AM 980 are all official station titles.

Zero Gravity 01-24-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 7620)
In other words, technically, this site is called "The Fan".

91.8 would be our "broadcasting signal" that needs to be tuned into.

A Digital Radio Station would be nice, however that would require an HQ, hundreds of thousands of dollars and the such. Unless you can find an old, beat down radio station, buy it up for cheap and then renovate it and change the tower to one that can broadcast a digital signal. xP

We have the technology... it can be done.....
but I don't wanna spend a lot of money....

EagleEyes 01-24-2010 01:56 PM

I go with Nine One Eight The Fan myself.

Chris 01-24-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero Gravity (Post 7653)
We have the technology... it can be done.....
but I don't wanna spend a lot of money....

Of course we have technology but it could not be done out of home like it is now, There's a large criteria that needs to be met to acquire an official digital radio station. Without question, it would burn a deep hole in the pocket of the team involved, but we're looking years into the future here, and it's really a topic for another time and thread.

But who knows, maybe one day.

G U R U 01-24-2010 09:44 PM

I say it as Ninety One Point Eight the Fan. The correct way wooot! :biggrin:

Kanashimi 01-25-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 7688)
Of course we have technology but it could not be done out of home like it is now, There's a large criteria that needs to be met to acquire an official digital radio station. Without question, it would burn a deep hole in the pocket of the team involved, but we're looking years into the future here, and it's really a topic for another time and thread.

But who knows, maybe one day.

Actually, if you want to be precise, home computers can broadcast. There's a bit of research involved, but in general they use the same technology as a TV tuner (the ones you install into your tower in one of those empty slots). Of course, the technology is young so the farthest most computers can broadcast is about thirty miles.

Elk 01-25-2010 08:24 AM

9 1 8 and 91 8 are the ones that sound best to me. I usually say 91 8. The point is like the P in P Diddy, it get's between me and the fans, so I drop it.

Although I've never heard 9 1.8, only 91.8...