91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vidja Games (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   [Multi] Sonic The Hedgehog 4 (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573)

Oni 02-04-2010 11:29 PM

Sonic The Hedgehog 4

It has begun...

Yes, Sonic Team has labelled Project Needlemouse as Sonic the Hedgehog 4. That's right, now there's even a chance your "classic" series will be ruined now too.

It seems that Sega has let Sonic Team go the route of Nintendo, rather than Capcom, by introducing the sequel to their classic series as a 3D platformer (much like New Super Mario Bros.), instead of taking the easy way out and deciding to keep it as it was, as Capcom did after their 3D platforming Mega Man games went down hill.

The only thing that strikes me as intriguing in the trailer...well other than the fact that it's heavily influenced by Mega Man 9's trailer (well, at least the first 10 seconds) is the little locked rectangle next to WiiWare at the end:

It probably means something already, but it seems like it will be released on another platform other than the main three consoles. iPad anyone?

Zero Gravity 02-05-2010 04:01 AM

Re: Sonic The Hedgehog 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 8718)
Yes, Sonic Team has labelled Project Needlemouse as Sonic the Hedgehog 4. That's right, now there's even a chance your "classic" series will be ruined now too.

It seems that Sega has let Sonic Team go the route of Nintendo, rather than Capcom, by introducing the sequel to their classic series as a 3D platformer (much like New Super Mario Bros.), instead of taking the easy way out and deciding to keep it as it was, as Capcom did after their 3D platforming Mega Man games went down hill.

The only thing that strikes me as intriguing in the trailer...well other than the fact that it's heavily influenced by Mega Man 9's trailer (well, at least the first 10 seconds) is the little locked rectangle next to WiiWare at the end:

It probably means something already, but it seems like it will be released on another platform other than the main three consoles. iPad anyone?

While I'm excited for this, because I love Sonic games and at least try to enjoy them.
I think your statement regarding them ruining the classics was out of line on your part, its no wonder SEGA hasn't given a fudge since Sonic Heroes.

Although I am curious as to why they labeled it "Sonic 4" as opposed to having it a remake of Sonic 1 (While it would seem like it did with the 1st level, although, like you said, it could be imitating Super Marios Bros Wii's idea of doing the original level and just doing brand new levels(

I'm looking forward to this

Oni 02-05-2010 05:17 AM

Well, considering Sonic Team hasn't ever done a truly good Sonic game in 3D (No, the Adventure series was still laughably bad. They wouldn't know fluid controls if it hit them in the face), they even managed to soil Unleashed with some stupid Werehog gimmick.

Also, I know it's an early model of Sonic himself, but yet again...he looks very slow while running...like he did in Sonic '06!

Zero Gravity 02-05-2010 07:02 AM

Ok, I'm not one with words, so bare with me

SEGA has done Sonic games just fine in Black Knight and Unleashed. The Werehog gimmick isn't even that bad, it was something different, if we just had regular Sonic I would guarantee you, people would be complaining that there wasn't enough in Sonic Unleashed.
If EVERY Mario game was the exact same thing as the original Super Marios Bros. would you still play? Of course not, you'd demand for something different, something new, its the same for Sonic.
To simply complain whether Sonic had a Werehog form or a sword is utter rubbish, people who don't enjoy platforming have no right to complain about the Werehog to begin with, and as for the constant smash attacking, I'll bet whoever complained about that never even attempted the combos, I know every enemy can be killed by simply spamming but it can also lead to death.

Sonic carrying a sword may be different but if your thought is "run and spin attack, then its not really that different considering Sonic spins using the sword. Caliburn may have been a talking sword but whats more annoying, a talking companion or Sonic just talking to himself.

And PLEASE don't say controls where an issue, every game review I hear is "control control control control", well guess what, nothing is perfect. This is nothing against you Oni this is against the job in general, people are welcome to they're own opinions, but the bottom line is I hate reviewers, reviewers are a plague on games, it causes negativity and bias opinions.

EVERYTHING deserves a chance, its NOT RIGHT to criticize a game, or a movie, or a book until you actually play it, watch it or read it, Otherwise your just a nag in the peanut gallery.

Now... onto the topic regarding the game....

Sonic DID look somewhat Sonic 06 slow, but then again, its just a trailer. There may be some sections where you need to speed up like in unleashed when you can just blast through enemies using Sonic speed.

mitamaking 02-05-2010 09:39 AM

I really like sonic Adventure 2, it is one of my favorite games so at one point Sonic Team was well on the right track to make a good 3-d game(that is until Heroes).

As for Sonic 4

PLEASE BE GOOD, PLEASE BE GOOD, PLEASE BE GOOD

Oni 02-05-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

And PLEASE don't say controls where an issue, every game review I hear is "control control control control", well guess what, nothing is perfect. This is nothing against you Oni this is against the job in general, people are welcome to they're own opinions, but the bottom line is I hate reviewers, reviewers are a plague on games, it causes negativity and bias opinions.

EVERYTHING deserves a chance, its NOT RIGHT to criticize a game, or a movie, or a book until you actually play it, watch it or read it, Otherwise your just a nag in the peanut gallery.
Oh for f--k sakes...the controls in a game are an issue. If something is too sensitive or unresponsive is IS an issue. Stating something like that is pure ignorance. The controls in a game are the single most important aspect in the entire thing. It's like having a beautiful chocolate cake, but then you can't even eat it because it tastes like crap. Also, something can be judged by "first impression", it's how things even get approved. The initial presentation of a game can be what makes someone buy the game, and if it looks like crap I'm probably not going to buy it.

Going all fanboy on me isn't exactly making your defence of Sonic all that good.

Quote:

Sonic carrying a sword may be different but if your thought is "run and spin attack, then its not really that different considering Sonic spins using the sword. Caliburn may have been a talking sword but whats more annoying, a talking companion or Sonic just talking to himself.
So I guess that the fact that horrible level design and unresponsive moves mean little to you?

Quote:

To simply complain whether Sonic had a Werehog form or a sword is utter rubbish, people who don't enjoy platforming have no right to complain about the Werehog to begin with, and as for the constant smash attacking, I'll bet whoever complained about that never even attempted the combos, I know every enemy can be killed by simply spamming but it can also lead to death.

Oh no. You did not just go and call a beat-em-up a "platformer", did you? Also, what is this "no right" bullsh-t? I've been playing platformers since I was 6. There are good and bad "platformers" out there. It's like having to rate an anime 4/5-5/5 all the time just because it's anime.

Quote:

reviewers are a plague on games, it causes negativity and bias opinions.
Oh, and they're doing something different to what people who aren't fans of the game are doing?

Quote:

if we just had regular Sonic I would guarantee you, people would be complaining that there wasn't enough in Sonic Unleashed.
You haven't played the DS games have you?

Kibs 02-05-2010 08:26 PM

All that really can be said about it until we know more on it is

Good:
Back to roots

Bad:
2.5D

Zero Gravity 02-05-2010 08:56 PM

Gyah... I don't wanna argue about this...
-is incredibly horrid with words-

I'll admit anything i argue about from here on out would sound fanboyish...

Oni 02-05-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibs (Post 8750)
All that really can be said about it until we know more on it is

Good:
Back to roots

Bad:
2.5D

And it's really hit or miss with 2.5D

Kibs 02-05-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni (Post 8754)
And it's really hit or miss with 2.5D

I can already tell I don't like the running animation it doesn't seem like he's moving his legs fast enough. It all just kinda looks awkward. They'd be better off going with a MM9 approach and just going back to sprites.

Kanashimi 02-05-2010 10:32 PM

Kotaku has already reported on the "secret" console. It wasn't a big surprise really...

http://kotaku.com/5465438/sonic-the-...its-the-iphone

Oni 02-05-2010 10:46 PM

Well, that was a given then.

Zero Gravity 02-06-2010 02:33 AM

I was kinda guessing the IPad, but then again, doesn't the IPhone and ITouch support the same apps?

EDIT: Apparently, the trailer with Sonic running was not his full speed
http://sonicstadium.org/news/sega-so...ning-animation

Oni 02-06-2010 01:03 PM

Well, their employee in charge of the promotion was an idiot then and really should be demoted so someone who knows what they're actually doing can sit there and actually put a promotion up where Sonic looks fast.

G U R U 02-07-2010 12:25 AM

If this is anything like New Super Mario Bros it should be awesome.

I want my Dreamcast 2 :frown:

Zero Gravity 02-07-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G U R U (Post 8842)
If this is anything like New Super Mario Bros it should be awesome.

I want my Dreamcast 2 :frown:

We all want a dreamcast 2.... but we have to settle with this for now -_-
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3117...hitting-summer

chefofdeath 02-08-2010 08:05 PM

lets hope they dont pull a sonic 3D Blast

Zero Gravity 02-08-2010 10:46 PM

theres no way they could go back to Sonic 3D blast, especially considering the flickies haven't been heard from since

Kibs 02-09-2010 02:38 AM

I liked sonic 3d blast, actually. For the time, anyway, I'm not sure how it would hold up to nostalgia now.

from what it looks like they're doing it right, however, as nitpicky as it is, I won't be happy unless sonic's fastest running animation looks like it did back in the genesis days, a blurry wheel of legs.

Oni 02-09-2010 04:37 AM

I played Sonic 3D Blast back when I could care less about the speed. I was more into the character than what was happening.

If they can do the same thing they did in Unleashed for StH4, I'll be happy. He actually looked fast in that game.